Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone think the metal roof will come painted black?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I don't understand is why to charge extra cost for the total glass configuration...

One of the reasons to choose the whole glass roof is to improve manufacturability, thus, reducing cost.

Isn't the metal roof going to cost them more than the all glass roof?

Of course if they're able to get extra money from the customers...

An all glass roof at the base price (and therefore no metal option) would be amazing but with Tesla trying to cost save and downsell the Model 3 I think it'll be an option...

What I don't understand is why to charge extra cost for the total glass configuration...

One of the reasons to choose the whole glass roof is to improve manufacturability, thus, reducing cost.

Isn't the metal roof going to cost them more than the all glass roof?

Of course if they're able to get extra money from the customers...

I could be confused, but my understanding was that the manufacturing savings was entirely about the rear window/roof being large enough to easily get things into the middle of the car like the dashboard and seats.

The structural design puts big cross members at each end of the panel in question anyway, so there's no production benefit to having it open and the glass costs more than the metal in materials (and would presumably be painted at the same time as the rest of the car shell, thus having a minimal impact on the cost of painting.)

I think I agree that a body color half roof will look odd and they'd probably be better off with black, like the minuscule fixed roof section on all the Model Xs is.

I agree with some of the others that it would seem the metal roof should cost more to manufacture. I mean you have the cost of the metal itself, it needs to be welded on, painted, and upholstered vs dropping a single piece of mass produced glass on top of a seal.

I agree with some of the others that it would seem the metal roof should cost more to manufacture. I mean you have the cost of the metal itself, it needs to be welded on, painted, and upholstered vs dropping a single piece of mass produced glass on top of a seal.
The glass roof is going to have a sunroof option, so that will definitely cost more.

And I wouldn't be sure a well engineered piece of glass necessarily costs less than a sheet of metal.

A glass panel alone could be installed by a robot with no humanoid intervention whatsoever. A metal panel, potentially painted a different color from the rest of the body, with a proper headliner installed, would certainly cost more in both materials and labor. A glass panel for an opening sunroof would be mechanically most complicated and would certainly be the most expensive to install.

Reactions: JeffK and Rytis
A glass panel alone could be installed by a robot with no humanoid intervention whatsoever. A metal panel, potentially painted a different color from the rest of the body, with a proper headliner installed, would certainly cost more in both materials and labor. A glass panel for an opening sunroof would be mechanically most complicated and would certainly be the most expensive to install.

Interesting thoughts and could very well be the right answer. Notice they made the all glass roof the standard option as of today. Tesla’s least expensive vehicle is now the Model S 75 at $69,500 after big overnight price drop & newly included options In fact, the author goes on to say "The inclusion of the glass roof seems like another effort to streamline Tesla’s product line, since the Model 3 is also supposed to come standard with an all-glass roof"

If that is the case I would probably go with an extreme dark tint of the roof glass but as for the reduced thermal insulation, there is no solution I can think of.

Last edited:
Yes, the fact that the Model S only comes with two options (glass roof, and glass sunroof) makes me think there will be no metal roof for the 3. Glass will come as standard. And I'm very happy with that!
Yes, I agree. If no metal roof for MS/X and a metal roof would require headliner (human install), then most likely there won't be a metal option at all on the Model 3. I hope the fixed glass roof will be included in the $35K though. They keep saying that is the base price, so if no metal option, then the fixed glass has to be offered for $35K. That would be awesome, as the glass roof was one of the options I was thinking I would have to spend money on. :)

Reactions: Red Sage
I assume there will be no metal roof option because that is what I was planning to order. :(

Let the pity party begin. ;)

Have a Pita party, much tastier!
I'm having a pita party on the 75K upgrade option,
I was SO pleased at the deal I got with the 60D
now for a couple grand, no I wont do it.
It still charges slow (top end) its still not good to charge to 100%,
but it's only 2grand now.....

• Funny
Reactions: Red Sage and JeffK
Interesting thoughts and could very well be the right answer. Notice they made the all glass roof the standard option as of today. Tesla’s least expensive vehicle is now the Model S 75 at $69,500 after big overnight price drop & newly included options In fact, the author goes on to say "The inclusion of the glass roof seems like another effort to streamline Tesla’s product line, since the Model 3 is also supposed to come standard with an all-glass roof"

If that is the case I would probably go with an extreme dark tint of the roof glass but as for the reduced thermal insulation, there is no solution I can think of.
What does this say about those suggesting the cut of the 60kWh was to clear price room for the Model 3? Now they cut the 75 back down to the same price...