Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone thinking about an VW ID.4 Instead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No way! Salesmen would never, ever do anything like that to their customers. They’re every bit as helpful, meticulously honest, knowledgeable and upstanding as their commercials make them to be. I’m shocked!
Haha. I started my career in computer sales. The joke at the time: what's the difference between a used car salesman and a computer salesman? The used car salesman KNOWS he's lying to you. :p

• Funny
Reactions: Exelion
I went to the VW ID.4 Roadshow for a 30 minutes test drive. This car a first view has a lot of potential,
I liked in particular the sliding roof cover that you can maneuver by sliding your finger on a small screen sensor.

I didn't like the frunk full of hoses with a lot of empty spaces as this was the rear wheel drive, but no luggage compartment.
I didn't like also the included charger who can only be used on 120 V and to use 240 V you need to buy a wall charger.
There is no portable charger that you can use directly using the 240 V plug of your dryer in your garage.

Compare to Tesla, the navigation control is very very bad. I felt like Sandy Munro experience.
I installed in advance on my phone the Electrify America App.
Using this App, I was immediately able to find a charging less than two miles away.

However, when I open the ID.4 central display map, I was not able to find the Electrify America charger location.
I moved the map just above the location of the charger but only gas stations were display.
I asked for some help from the assistant who told me to enter the address on the screen.
Even though I was not able to find the charging station, using the voice activated didn't help either.

Electrify America is own by VW, so why the chargers didn't show up immediately when looking at the map.
The assistant told me to use an App instead of the map, but didn't show me how to do it.

Honestly after this test drive I was not very enthusiast. I think VW need to make a lot of progresses with the display interface.
I was not able to test the driving assist because you need to drive above 35 miles/hour from what the assistant told me.

I would be very interested if someone could point me out to a Youtube video showing the ID.4 navigation usage.
I looked a several video, in particular from Bjørn Nyland, but could not find too much help.

I'm sure the over-the-air-updates will fix the discrepancies you noted. Even Tesla did not get all things right the first time, but over time, it got better. For the longest time I thought Model Y was for me, but in the end, I ordered the VW ID 4 Pro-S as I think it has the right amount of bang for the buck for me.

its ugly gereric looking and boring..like the mustang ev and the etron.

Here's the funny part... ID.4 and Mach-E owners think the Teslas look hideous except the S, ID.4 owners hate the Mach-e's appearance, and Mach-E owners think the ID.4 looks generic and bland. This is why we have choice!

While I didn't entirely enjoy my ID.4 ownership experience (the driving was enjoyable - not the rest), the Kings Red Gradient Pro is a sweet color combo. I think it's one of the best looking EVs in this color.

1639202643271.png

I'm just happy there are choices. Plenty of people don't like Teslas - either the way they look or are intimidated by the tech - so something like the ID.4 - which seems more like a 'normal' car - is more comforting to them. And certainly something that appears to be an easy-to-use vehicle is a good transition for many folks from ICE to EV - which is really the point, right?

I can understand affordability if that is a personal issue, but beyond that the Model Y is the simplest car to drive and operate that I have ever had in the 64 years that I have been driving. Once you go through the simple setup menu to create your profile everything is simple and/or automatic. You walk up to the locked car, open the door (enjoy easy entry), get in, put your foot on the brake, everything moves to your settings, select D or R and drive away, no need to even use the brakes again except for rapid stop. Charging is simple, just plug it in at home or at a Supercharger. Everything else is icing on the cake, learn what you like at leisure.

Why go halfway to an electric car when the best is designed from the ground up for efficiency, aerodynamics and the best technology, available as you need or want it.

Price? Audi Q3 or VW Tiguan, both small SUVs, but the Q3 is worth it if you can afford it.

Here's the funny part... ID.4 and Mach-E owners think the Teslas look hideous except the S, ID.4 owners hate the Mach-e's appearance, and Mach-E owners think the ID.4 looks generic and bland. This is why we have choice!

While I didn't entirely enjoy my ID.4 ownership experience (the driving was enjoyable - not the rest), the Kings Red Gradient Pro is a sweet color combo. I think it's one of the best looking EVs in this color.

View attachment 743066
Way too much brightwork. Chrome delete ftw.

Exterior style wise it's like a Rav4 and a CRV got busy one night in the parking garage.

I can understand affordability if that is a personal issue, but beyond that the Model Y is the simplest car to drive and operate that I have ever had in the 64 years that I have been driving. Once you go through the simple setup menu to create your profile everything is simple and/or automatic. You walk up to the locked car, open the door (enjoy easy entry), get in, put your foot on the brake, everything moves to your settings, select D or R and drive away, no need to even use the brakes again except for rapid stop. Charging is simple, just plug it in at home or at a Supercharger. Everything else is icing on the cake, learn what you like at leisure.

Why go halfway to an electric car when the best is designed from the ground up for efficiency, aerodynamics and the best technology, available as you need or want it.

Price? Audi Q3 or VW Tiguan, both small SUVs, but the Q3 is worth it if you can afford it.

The biggest reason IMO - after speaking to various ID.4 owners at EA charging stations is ride comfort. I own a Mach-E and fully admit it is pretty harsh ride. The ID.4 runs over potholes like they don't exist. Not true of the Y nor Mach-E. The Y is a tad harsh for long road trips... not as bad as the Mach-E (where rear passengers often get car sickness from the bumpiness). Yes cost is a concern, but I noticed for those where cost isn't a concern they picked the e-Tron or Taycan.

If the Y had air suspension, it would win over a large number of folks.

Reactions: Daekwan
I read many articles and you tube video about EV brands. I decided to get Tesla MYLR. I will not consider VW ID4, I rather get the Mustang MACH-E. The VW was not on my list at all. The interior is ugly, the price is not cheap. Tesla is more establish company on EV, charging stations are everywhere.

its ugly gereric looking and boring..like the mustang ev and the etron.
I think the Model Y just looks like a Prius that’s been made smooth by vacuum sealing it inside a plastic bag. It’s not a very exciting looking or attractive car at all, imo. Not bad looking, but definitely pretty boring.

Cars engineered for low drag coefficient all end up looking more or less the same if they let the wind tunnel dictate design. Same thing happened to high end bikes once they started making aero the primary design driver. I’d take the aesthetics of the Mach E any day over the MY, but most of the tech and charging network in the MY are much better.

I think the Model Y just looks like a Prius that’s been made smooth by vacuum sealing it inside a plastic bag. It’s not a very exciting looking or attractive car at all, imo. Not bad looking, but definitely pretty boring.

Cars engineered for low drag coefficient all end up looking more or less the same if they let the wind tunnel dictate design. Same thing happened to high end bikes once they started making aero the primary design driver. I’d take the aesthetics of the Mach E any day over the MY, but most of the tech and charging network in the MY are much better.

100% agree with everything. Love driving the Model Y and the drivetrain, charging network, infotainment/navigation system - are all top of the class. Generic dull appearance though. Made worst by having white as the default color and dull color choices. Even Toyota (another boring carmaker) has Blue Flame and Ford has Cyber Orange.

This is why we have choices and aren't living in communist Russia. It's also why we have vinyl wraps and an active appearance modding community