Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone thinking about an VW ID.4 Instead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are you implying that VW models have the same fit and finish as Porsche, Audi, BMW and Mercedes?
My GTI is not quite up to the fit and finish level of my recently-traded-in midrange Audi, but it’s significantly better F&F than our MY - the F&F of which is good, likely average to above average for an American car. Still love the MY and the GTI. FYI, my GTI was built in the Mexico plant.

Not worth arguing but since Tesla has the worst fit/finish than any brand according to JD Power, VW and everyone will be better by a long shot. I have bought 5 Chevy Bolts and no issues at all with them. One had an issue when they went to fetch it from the back lot for delivery prep, but I never saw it because detailing found the issue.

Looks like the ID.4 cute-UTE from VW will be out around the end of the year. Pre-orders start next month. 2021 Volkswagen ID.4 electric car: Everything we know in advance of full reveal

Things we can expect over the Model Y:
  • Apple Carplay / Android Auto (w/o a $10 charge to use media and map options)
  • CCS supercharging
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Instrument cluster
  • Heads-up display
  • Federal $7,500 tax rebate
  • German fit / finish
  • Nationwide dealership service
I don't expect it to be a Tesla killer, but competition is good and EM is very competitive. Maybe we will see a CCS adapter and Carplay / Auto support finally. I will be first in line for the LR AWD version.

Sorry man, but why go backwards 20 years? They just released their high end version in Norway, Bjorn will be testing this one very soon.

Fred

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: HarleyW
My son owns a Bolt and he has had all kinds of issues. You appear to have a chip on your shoulder regarding Tesla. OK we will just call it a bias against Tesla.

The commentary was about fit/finish issues. Rather than attacking me personally (i.e., cancel culture), perhaps you could share your son’s on-topic issues with his Bolt’s fit/finish?

Reactions: mycroftxxx
Yeah you realize how lucky we are to have Superchargers when you read stuff like this - my first day as an e-tron owner...quite an adventure! - AudiWorld Forums

Tesla definitely has the most integrated and idiot-proof fast charging network today. The standards-based CCS has overtaken all others in the number of chargers and locations, with that lead widening. The quoted post was from an EV noob in an Audi.

I have easily driven cross country several times now in my Bolt, but it requires more thought and planning. Up until last year, I would ship my non-Tesla EVs as I moved around the country. Those days are in the past.

Reactions: BlindPass
The commentary was about fit/finish issues. Rather than attacking me personally (i.e., cancel culture), perhaps you could share your son’s on-topic issues with his Bolt’s fit/finish?
I was making at what I believe an accurate observation of the platform that you appear to be coming from.

Yes, he has had fit and finish issues with his Bolt. One time they also scratched it while it was in for service and they just can't seem to get the paint right Time after Time. Granted it is not an easy paint to match. It is a metal flake black. And carpeting issues over and over. Would I still recommend the car...yes.

This doesn't touch on the mechanical issues he has had. But my opinion is that all car companies can have cars with issues. I have owned many different brands in my lifetime and still own many cars of different brand.

According to this article, Tesla is gaming the range numbers too: EPA Highway Range And Real-World Highway Range Are Two Different Things

Every business portrays their product in the best light. Almost every brand has been busted for it too.
I don't know, I didn't read 'gaming the numbers' in this article. EPA gas mileage estimates are as much of a myth as EV range, although probably not by as much a factor, as they've tuned it over the years. But anything done on a dyno isn't going to represent real world.

Before I got my Y, I seriously considered the ID.4. Both my SILs (Son In law), who have previously owned VWs (Golf, Jetta) were stunned that given all of the issues they had had, that I would even consider a VW. They are the ones that got me my first test drive in a model S. Given that the ID.4 is still not available, and the issues they are having with the software and the price of Electrify America charging, I will continue to enjoy my Y.

Reactions: Evoforce
Looks like the ID.4 cute-UTE from VW will be out around the end of the year. Pre-orders start next month. 2021 Volkswagen ID.4 electric car: Everything we know in advance of full reveal

Things we can expect over the Model Y:
  • Apple Carplay / Android Auto (w/o a $10 charge to use media and map options)
  • CCS supercharging
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Instrument cluster
  • Heads-up display
  • Federal $7,500 tax rebate
  • German fit / finish
  • Nationwide dealership service
I don't expect it to be a Tesla killer, but competition is good and EM is very competitive. Maybe we will see a CCS adapter and Carplay / Auto support finally. I will be first in line for the LR AWD version.

• Windows with frames
  • Normal door handles

Tesla has a number of really key advantages:
1) Excellent battery & drive train. Long miles, fast charging, long lasting battery, fast acceleration
2) Self-driving
3) Super-charger network
4) Good software for everything

Do not take these for granted. Just look at the Bolt.

Reactions: Evoforce
Charge port rear of passenger side? That's probably the most inconvenient place for a charge port. Best is Chevy's driver side front. Second best is Tesla's driver side rear.

Let's Take A Ride In Volkswagen ID.3: POV Video

I would have to disagree with you. Its the perfect place in my opinion. We have had 3 BMW i3's and a Leaf, have a TMY on order. We have a standard american 2-car garage (20x20) when we had two BMW i3's we would back one into the left side of the garage (if standing outside facing the garage) and pull the other one in forward on the right side. This put both charge ports against a wall and allowed for a wide walking distance between the two cars with no cords to trip over.

Maybe your parking setup is different, but I'm actually not looking forward to figuring out how to charge the TMY. To complicate things more, our L2 EVSE is on the left side of the garage and we just have a standard plug on the right side. Whoever needs L2, parks on the left side, whoever needs less charge parks on the right side and uses L1. But the entrance to the house is on the left side and the TMY needs to be parked on the right side to allow more room into and out of the house. So I really need to move the L2 to the right side of the garage and install a standard plug on the left side to charge the Leaf.

Here is a photo of this setup, you can see one plugged in.

11062326-8EA4-41CA-84A4-EA3AD426E8AA.jpeg

Last edited: