Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone thinking about an VW ID.4 Instead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like the ID.4 cute-UTE from VW will be out around the end of the year. Pre-orders start next month. 2021 Volkswagen ID.4 electric car: Everything we know in advance of full reveal

Things we can expect over the Model Y:
  • Apple Carplay / Android Auto (w/o a $10 charge to use media and map options)
  • CCS supercharging
  • Heated steering wheel
  • Instrument cluster
  • Heads-up display
  • Federal $7,500 tax rebate
  • German fit / finish
  • Nationwide dealership service
I don't expect it to be a Tesla killer, but competition is good and EM is very competitive. Maybe we will see a CCS adapter and Carplay / Auto support finally. I will be first in line for the LR AWD version.

Did not think about VW but we had thought about Polestar. Tesla is so far ahead in the technology and once we experienced the supercharger network on long drives plus the advances of autopilot it was difficult to picture buying another electric vehicle right now. Sure VW and Volvo have a track record of building quality cars. But Tesla is proven themselves in design (need to up there game in assembly ) I just can’t see buying anything else right now IMO. You might see what the experience has been for those with the Audi ETron. The companies share platforms so suspect similarities?

Did not think about VW but we had thought about Polestar. Tesla is so far ahead in the technology and once we experienced the supercharger network on long drives plus the advances of autopilot it was difficult to picture buying another electric vehicle right now. Sure VW and Volvo have a track record of building quality cars. But Tesla is proven themselves in design (need to up there game in assembly ) I just can’t see buying anything else right now IMO. You might see what the experience has been for those with the Audi ETron. The companies share platforms so suspect similarities?
Since you mentioned the Polestar, you might be interested in my test drive of the Polestar 2 last week..... Polestar 2 Test Drive

• Informative
Reactions: Fred42
Americans will always prefer american cars, Europeans european. You will never get honest answer. American buyers always defend TEsla even when is very wrong. Maybe in VW forums is same for their cars. One thing that surprises me is tolerance of American people to Tesla cars build quality , just to remind you Tesla cars sold in EU are almost perfect , no QC issues, no waiting 2 month for parts to come.
But in US Tesla is doing all kind of games with their customers, because they can.
Tesla shareholders spend entire time on net defending their product,like they own that company.
I have seen many posts where people took delivery of car in horrible condition.
80% of responses were - Take it, no big deal,2-3 months in SC is nothing,like for $70.000 what you are expecting,perfect car?

here is already "cheating" as Europe, US and China have different range standards so the same car has different "ranges" depending on which standard was used. Many believe Tesla is gaming the numbers as most don't get the advertised range. Many brands with lower advertised range hold up better in the real world than Tesla they say.

Well I don't know who "they" are but in every comparison I've seen Tesla has done well (look at the recent Polestar test of EVs at 7-mph).

Since you mentioned the Polestar, you might be interested in my test drive of the Polestar 2 last week..... Polestar 2 Test Drive

I just read your review (very good) and one of your cons is a big one for me... no supercharging network. We like to take road trips and Tesla has served us well for the last 4-5 years. Yes quality could be better my Y that is going back in for it's 6th and final "Gap adjustment". Even with all that it is one of the most enjoyable cars I have ever owned. Glad there is competition coming it will for Tesla to up their game... never a bad thing :) One final note the picture of the white Polestar from the rear is that a panel gap?

Reactions: DanDi58
Seriuosly considering Audi Q4 E-Tron since Skoda showed off their version of the ID4 a few days ago.
iV60 (390km WLTP) 39490
iV80 (510km WLTP) 45990
all in € including VAT (22% in Italy).

For comparison:
Tesla Model 3 Standard Range (409km WLTP): 49500 in Italy.

enyaq_iv_042.jpg
skoda-enyaq-iv (1).jpg
ŠKODA-ENYAQ-iV.jpg
skoda-enyaq-iv-founders-edition.jpg

I was navigating through the Polestar website awhile ago and ready to put a deposit (refundable) until I looked at the specs for the size; it is a small car and goes up against the M3 more than the MY.

family member who has a M3 and knows I have an order in on a MY just sent me this:

Review: Don’t Buy a Tesla Without Driving The Polestar 2 First
Yes, it does. I originally posted this review in a thread about the Polestar 2 in the M3 forum.

I just read your review (very good) and one of your cons is a big one for me... no supercharging network. We like to take road trips and Tesla has served us well for the last 4-5 years. Yes quality could be better my Y that is going back in for it's 6th and final "Gap adjustment". Even with all that it is one of the most enjoyable cars I have ever owned. Glad there is competition coming it will for Tesla to up their game... never a bad thing :) One final note the picture of the white Polestar from the rear is that a panel gap?
Thanks for the positive feedback.... I didn't examine the one I drove closely in terms of fit and finish on the body (it was 95, and 95 in NYC feels like 105 here in Jersey!) but the model on the showroom floor was very consistent.

There is a new preview for the ID4 in the German web magazine stern.de with an interesting quote from VW CEO Ralf Brandstätter where he directly references Tesla. He says that the ID.4 has 6 cm more interior space than the Tesla Model Y despite the car being 19 cm shorter.

Source: Verfolgerduell

6 CENTIMETERS MORE SPACE!!!!!!???? That's it, I'm cancelling my Model Y order right now, get me the phone!!!

The ID.4 does look nice when I first heard about it I really expected it to come out with a 300-mile EPA rating. Can't see that happening based on what we're seeing here and it's certainly not enough to dissuade me from getting my Tesla.

I expect it will have all that, but we'll see at the reveal. Autosteer and adaptive cruise are pretty standard today. Acceleration like that is typical in EVs. They have OTA software update capability. The battery is 87 KWh which is larger than the Model Y.
Never, ever buy any German vehicle. If you feel you must have one, lease it! You then know how much it will cost you.

Reactions: Teledatageek