Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone thinking about an VW ID.4 Instead?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just looked on pictures. Someone saying Tesla interior is minimalist, but FWs one is just ugly imo. Most legacy car makers still falling to same trap - take an ICE car and make it electric with many things just being rudimentary. Or they just trying to save on production cost by using same stamps and parts...

===============================================================================
The Combo CCS charging network is now spaced out every 50-100mi in towns and highway nodes, 6-12 bays at each station. Coast to coast travel is now a breeze.
===============================================================================

The above will happen cca. >2035, until then those who need more than a city car will get Teslas.

Sadly, many will discover the ripoff once they get stuck at 30mph with hazards on trying to make it to the next properly maintained/repaired one bay CCS charging station. My travels are limited to five states but I have seen J1772 and ChadeMo stations with torn cables, broken screens, about 30% of ChadeMos will charge at 40A or below.

Remember this before you spring for your next EV tax break legacy manufacturer quota car.

Just look at ID.3 half-baked product, examples have been rotting on open lots for >6mos while they "smoothened" programming glitches, right hand dunno left, typical VAG xxxx.

VAG vet here: x3 Golf (R32 also), Passat, B8 S4, all 5-6MT. Their suspension and steering become wobbly in about a year, one of the Golfs had gastarbeiter sabotage leading to fried computer a week later, the regional rep showed my service manager the cable harness that was intentionally shorted out by someone who knew exactly what they were doing, photos and report were sent to Wolfsburg, that is after my car spent 2mos in service.

Last edited:
Did not realize that ID4 deliveries in US would start this soon. Thought is was 2023....but guess I had it incorrect in my mind. I have owned two VWs (96 Jetta and 2001 Passat) with very good experiences. However - those were built 20 plus years and, when it comes to EV technology, they have catching up to do to Tesla. It used to 'Drivers Wanted" but they abandoned that in the US when they built unexciting vehicles that were engineered to be 'bigger and cheaper' for the US market vs driving dynamis.

So while I have fond memories of my VW, not in my future right now.

Competition is great and I look forward to more options for buyers.
For me personally, an ID.4 is near the top of my list after Tesla.
However, the mission statement of Tesla, the phenomenal experiences I have had with Teslas over the last 10 years, the support and charging network are all in Tesla’s favor.

A well made HUD and heated steering wheel would be in VW’s favor.
A lot needs to change for me to actually decide in favor of VW.

Reactions: richyrich
Two months in as of today and happy with our MY, which replaced a midrange, 7-year-old Audi (which we liked except for the maintenance costs :eek: ). I do think Tesla gets away with stuff we wouldn’t put up with from any other car manufacturer because of their tech, aspects of their design aesthetic, the promise if not the execution of their non-dealer setup, etc.

Also have a four-year-old GTI (manual transmission FTW!) as my daily driver which has been great - absolutely zero problems, and maintenance costs are significantly lower than for the Audi. Yeah, I knew about about the diesel emissions scandal, but for reasons I’m not going to discuss here, it wasn’t a factor for me. Love the car.

But, in a few years when I’ll be looking to replace the GTI, I’m hopeful there will be much more competition for Tesla than now. Products like Lucid, the Ford Mach-E, the upcoming VAG BEVs...all of this bodes well for the consumer. I’m looking forward to how it goes. Now, if Tesla would take on the hot hatch market segment...;)

Why would you consider something you can’t even buy? You may have to wait for a Y, but it’s available now. If you’re considering a car that isn’t even built, you’re not in the market for a car and thus this topic makes no sense
Because I'm in no rush. Covid's got us not driving much, so the 18-year-old Subaru can sit until I'm excited about (or am forced into) buying a replacement. Like a few other have written, I didn't know the ID-4 was so close to US availability. If it looks good, it be enough incentive to get rid of the old car.

Reactions: iamnid
I expect it will have all that, but we'll see at the reveal. Autosteer and adaptive cruise are pretty standard today. Acceleration like that is typical in EVs. They have OTA software update capability. The battery is 87 KWh which is larger than the Model Y.
hopefully VW won't use the OTA function to cap charging speed as Tesla did with Model's X&S, as well as chop maximum capacity, so the battery can make it to the end of warranty. Porsche Audi Volkswagen seam to give a much larger upper and lower unusable buffer, so this tactic shouldn't be necessary.

I'm thinking of a Model Y tor replace my Q5 next year. I originally bought the Q5 for very long term low mileage, I don't drive much since retiring for the second time. I love the Q5 but but the Tesla looks like fun with the performance and tech appeal, for a long term car but without the Audi maintenance cost. $51,000 less NJ credit of $5,000 with no sales tax is appealing.

My wife has the new Q3 with the same low mileage long term goal, but the Model Y is too big for her. What intrigues me is the late 2021 Q4 eTron on the same platform as the VW ID.4, but much more attractive. NJ and Federal credits totaling $12,500 with no sales tax for a base model might be a very good buy.

I have subpanel in my separate garage that will support a 40 amp/240 volt circuit for 32 amp charging. The only issue is to make sure that I can resolve charger compatibility issues.

Always glad to see another Central NJer (yes, it DOES exist) on the forum! And yes, you have to have something like 10 posts to unlock all the cool features.... ;-)
Indeed good to see another Central NJ citizen here. Saw a pickup with decal denoting CNJ on and outline of the state couple weeks ago. I commented to my wife that I wanted one. She was not aware its existence was even a discussion.

• Funny
Reactions: DanDi58