Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone thinking of switching to a refresh Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I waited until today to order my next car, I might have just picked the Model X. Not entirely sure if I can/am able to afford it smartly, but I'm now wondering if I should just trade in my Model Y and get the refresh X.

Some pros:
  1. The plaid version is pretty badass
  2. It's larger, and hopefully can fit my dream dog crate (variocage xl) in the cargo area (my dog is 80 lbs, 40 inches nose to base of tail, 26" withers). A crash-tested crate that can fit my dog and in the car would really put me at ease.
  3. The MY suspension ride is too harsh for my liking, though I did just get the MountainPass Performance Comfort coilovers, so hopefully that helps, but having the MX air suspension sounds great.
  4. It has more range, even the plaid. I've been doing longer drives lately, and there's a segment of the trip that I will be frequenting a lot where I'm constantly dipping close to the single digits in charge percentage... just need a little more range to help out.
Some cons:
  1. A lot more expensive (the plaid version)
  2. The LR is a bit slower than my MYP
  3. It's kind of huge, might not really fit my garage well, but I do want the size for the dog
  4. The falcon wing doors are kind of over the top. I'm the type who likes a little more subtlety but don't get me wrong, I would flaunt it (though be embarrassed about it later).

Anyone else? Other than the expense, I'd love to hear any other concrete thoughts about going to the MX over the MY.

do what makes you happy... I like the X - but - I wouldn't buy it for the features. I think the Y is a great fit for my wife and I - and - at the right price. Take the extra money and buy some $TSLA and you will be happier.... Having said that if you need the extra space (minimal) go for the X.... S on the other hand.. is like no other...

Reactions: noshadow
I've been thinking about making the switch lately MYP --> MX. I had a 2017 Model S for 3 years prior and it was in a different class of quality. Model S was more akin to Mercedes E class while the MYP is closer to a Honda Civic. Two main things irritate me about my MYP - white paint mismatch (doors and bumpers) and harsh ride. Yes I could wrap it and yes I could get a coilover set or air suspension. Don't want the headache that accompanies mods.

Falcon wing doors and my tight garage is what scares me the most. I likely need to test fit.

TL;DR, Strongly considering the X just for the air suspension.

I’ve had my MY 7 seater on order for almost two years and delivery is supposed to be this month sometime.

I recently put in an order for new MX for the reasons mentioned above. I need to check out both cars in person before deciding if MX is worth the extra $. If I lose $100, not the end of the world.

I already drive a M3 which is great but the backseat is too small for the family.

either way, FSD needs to be released before I do anything because like Elon mentioned on ER call, it’s really undervalued on the used market, so selling a car with FSD is pretty dumb right now, assuming it getting released sometime soon

I traded Model 3 for X due to harsh ride. But one justification was that it replace my my tow vehicle. Otherwise I would have got an S. Model X over Y or 3 is a no brainer. Raven or Refresh. The current LR+ X has more range than any of them.

I was hoping they get rid of the huge windshield and the falcon doors on the X. The wife cannot stand all that sun and I can't stand water dripping into the cabin when I open the falcon doors lol. But they didn't so I'm getting the Y. I do love the new X interior.

Get rid of large windshield? That’s what sold me on it. No problems with rain. In fact, I think FWD protect you from the rain. I’d pull up to pickup my wife standing under an overhang in the pouring rain. FWD swings out under the overhang and she hops in and never gets a drop on her. Love it.

If I waited until today to order my next car, I might have just picked the Model X. Not entirely sure if I can/am able to afford it smartly, but I'm now wondering if I should just trade in my Model Y and get the refresh X.

Some pros:
  2. It's larger, and hopefully can fit my dream dog crate (variocage xl) in the cargo area (my dog is 80 lbs, 40 inches nose to base of tail, 26" withers). A crash-tested crate that can fit my dog and in the car would really put me at ease.
  3. The MY suspension ride is too harsh for my liking, though I did just get the MountainPass Performance Comfort coilovers, so hopefully that helps, but having the MX air suspension sounds great.
  4. It has more range, even the plaid. I've been doing longer drives lately, and there's a segment of the trip that I will be frequenting a lot where I'm constantly dipping close to the single digits in charge percentage... just need a little more range to help out.
Some cons:
  3. It's kind of huge, might not really fit my garage well, but I do want the size for the dog
  4. The falcon wing doors are kind of over the top. I'm the type who likes a little more subtlety but don't get me wrong, I would flaunt it (though be embarrassed about it later).

Anyone else? Other than the expense, I'd love to hear any other concrete thoughts about going to the MX over the MY.

Check the crate dimensions as the X doesn’t have as much extra space as you’d think (or hope for). We have an S and I’ve been contemplating trading it for an X. We would need it to fit an XL crate size and the X simply doesn’t provide enough vertical height. Surprisingly, the X has the same vertical cargo height as an S (maybe the X has an inch more). Suffice it to say, the X is gargantuan on the outside but not nearly as cavernous on the inside as I imagined.

Get rid of large windshield? That’s what sold me on it. No problems with rain. In fact, I think FWD protect you from the rain. I’d pull up to pickup my wife standing under an overhang in the pouring rain. FWD swings out under the overhang and she hops in and never gets a drop on her. Love it.

Haha I'm glad you're enjoying the windshield. Yeah we were never a fan of it.

As for cost, if we purchase the X we would have been able to take advantage of the section 179 deduction. So in terms of cost the delta between the X and the Y is not that much. It just came down to preference.

Regarding ride quality the X definitely has a very plush ride. But coming from cars like the Corvette, BMW M4, and 911 the wife and I don't mind the "rough" ride of the 3 or Y.

I don't have anything that would help your decision. Just a few things from the top of my head:

- I think the MY was a right choice for the driving I've been doing the past ~7 months. I'm very happy.
- I really like the new interior on the new MX/MS.
- I think the new MX would be more useful for traveling for the reasons you listed below, but I'm not doing any currently.
- I have a CyberTruck on order. I ordered the MY before the CT reveal. The CT will be my travel vehicle.

Some pros:
Some cons:

Haha I'm glad you're enjoying the windshield. Yeah we were never a fan of it.

As for cost, if we purchase the X we would have been able to take advantage of the section 179 deduction. So in terms of cost the delta between the X and the Y is not that much. It just came down to preference.

Regarding ride quality the X definitely has a very plush ride. But coming from cars like the Corvette, BMW M4, and 911 the wife and I don't mind the "rough" ride of the 3 or Y.

I wouldn’t mind the “rough” ride on 3 or Y if the road noise didn’t have to go along with it. X is just more relaxing on the highway (less white knuckle). Around town 3 was fine except I would cringe if I saw a speed bump ahead in the 3 and would go to great lengths to avoid them (running on 18” and 19” wheels). Now I just don’t have think about any of it. Pot holes, speed bumps or highway, all good. New S/X is probably even better in that respect.

I think it’s preference. I’m thinking of going the other way. A 2018 MX to 2021 MY. I just test drove a LR AWD and liked it a lot. But I have an MX 75D so this would be a range increase for me. I really like the X though but I can downsize for no cash out of pocket with a lower car payment and still get the things important to me.

One note on the MX windshield. I had a UV film put on it when I got the tint done and it’s not hot at all. And I live in Arizona with 100+ degree days. So you can have the awesome openness of the windshield and mitigate the heat.

Reactions: VikH
I was hoping they get rid of the huge windshield and the falcon doors on the X. The wife cannot stand all that sun and I can't stand water dripping into the cabin when I open the falcon doors lol. But they didn't so I'm getting the Y. I do love the new X interior.

Love the windshield and love the FWD's. We had our front windshield tinted 80 or 090%. Sun is a Non issue. Can't comment about the rain - always get in with the front doors, though I have not heard of any complaints.

I never knew how many people had windshield problems. That's pretty interesting.

After looking into it, the MX still has such an aggressive slope on the hatch that it won't accommodate a bigger VarioCage than a Model Y (at least height-wise). That's basically a non-starter for me. Easy to make the decision, and I guess will help me save some $. Maybe put some more into $TSLA.

I would have got an X if I could have afforded it. My boss got one right before I got my Y and his was like 100K+ and is now the older version. He's pretty bummed about it. I think the Y is the perfect car and perfect price point. I do love the look of the falcon doors though. The Y is WAY cheaper then the X.

I thought about it, but I can only barely tolerate a Tesla’s lack of quality at the $65k price I paid. I know I’d regret spending $90k+ and feeling like I was driving a Kia.

Don’t get me wrong, I love driving my Tesla’s. But they’re too expensive for what they are. In all likelihood I’ll continue buying them, but at lower and lower price points so that the price starts to match the quality, not higher and higher ones.