Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone thinking trying 21' OEM Turbines?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they'd look pretty good on a MX, kind of how 20s look on the MS. Are there any obstacles doing this?

You'd have to figure out the right tire size - OEM S tires are noticeably smaller in diameter than OEM X tires Based on the 20s and 22s, you'd probably need a 40 series tire in the 265 neighborhood.

Also, note that three of the four OEM configurations for the X are staggered - the standard 20s, the 22s, and the winter 20s. Only the winter 19s have the same size in front and rear - presumably Tesla has a reason for it.

(That's actually one of the things that really annoys me. Not sure if I'll put up with it in the longer term.)

Reactions: mdevp
I actually attempted to mount 21x9 Model S rear wheels with with 265 45 21 tires onto my X (as a square non staggered set up). Unfortunately, since the 265 45 21 is close to an inch taller than the stock 20"/22" size, it would not work in the front. I am trying to get my hands on a pair of 265 40 21's to test fit again on my X...and as soon as I do, I will post the results of my experiment :)

I actually attempted to mount 21x9 Model S rear wheels with with 265 45 21 tires onto my X (as a square non staggered set up). Unfortunately, since the 265 45 21 is close to an inch taller than the stock 20"/22" size, it would not work in the front. I am trying to get my hands on a pair of 265 40 21's to test fit again on my X...and as soon as I do, I will post the results of my experiment :)
Excellent! Thanks for exploring for us!

Cannot wait to see the pics!

Finally got around to test fitting the 21x9" Model S wheels using 265/40/21 tires and they worked! No rubbing...and ride is much better than the 22's. Another advantage is that they are non staggered so tire rotations are possible. For curious minds like mine, hope this helps...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    697.4 KB · Views: 286
Finally got around to test fitting the 21x9" Model S wheels using 265/40/21 tires and they worked! No rubbing...and ride is much better than the 22's. Another advantage is that they are non staggered so tire rotations are possible. For curious minds like mine, hope this helps...
Excellent! Looks great!

Although those rears look a bit tucked. I wonder if some spacers would help push them out just a bit.

Thanks for sharing!

My understanding is that the "S" wheels are 8.5" instead of 9" for non staggered.

Grip will be lower on it due to less width but range should increase also due to less width by contact patch and airflow resistance.

Lowering the X to its lowest setting will increase the negative camber which will result in premature tire wear. That Happens in my S, I wonder how bad it is on the X. I may switch the wheels for both of them to try it out.

Thanks for showing that. I may have my S ride on 20" X staggered wheels and my X ride on 21" S wheels.

The X also needs spacers for sure for a wider track (and better grip) as well as appearance

Please post more pics.

I failed to mention how good this looks and will be attempting the same. Where in socal are you?

Here are some answers to the questions posted thus far:

Tires are Continental 5P’s and I have only had them on the car for about 30 miles so I do not have wh/mi comparison yet. I do agree that rear spacers would help out the look a bit. As for the 8.5 vs 9” wheel, I used four 9” wheels (rear size for the staggered P85+ cars) for my test. I did not look into the weight limitations though I probably should.

And @ Diavel, please PM me and maybe we can meet up so you can see the set up in person....

Wow! That is the perfect look, the sidewall doesn't look stretched out and too thin like w/22s and the wheel doesn't look dwarfed like w/the 20s. Thanks for trying this out!

Why would that be? Does the 22inch OEM Tesla wheels have a different width or offset compared to the 9inch wide OEM 21s?
Yes. Both the OEM 22's and the 20's are 9" wide in the front and 10" wide in the rear. Which is why I suggested finding a staggered set up.

It could also be that the angle, and lighting of the photo is making the rears look even more tucked.

Here are some answers to the questions posted thus far:

Tires are Continental 5P’s and I have only had them on the car for about 30 miles so I do not have wh/mi comparison yet. I do agree that rear spacers would help out the look a bit. As for the 8.5 vs 9” wheel, I used four 9” wheels (rear size for the staggered P85+ cars) for my test. I did not look into the weight limitations though I probably should.

And @ Diavel, please PM me and maybe we can meet up so you can see the set up in person....

All rears from the performance? You are my hero! I've been searching high and low for the weight capacity of the s rims and cannot find them. Please be careful Mr. Test subject

Yes. Both the OEM 22's and the 20's are 9" wide in the front and 10" wide in the rear. Which is why I suggested finding a staggered set up.

It could also be that the angle, and lighting of the photo is making the rears look even more tucked.
Ah yes, and I looked up the 22s have 35 offset compared to the 21s 40 which maybe has a tiny tiny effect on the look. What would be a good spacer to make it look like as flush as the 22in OEM? 15mm? I'd be scared to use a spacer with a car of this weight, or has that been debunked.