Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tint the upper region of the X windshield with something more darker?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i'm going to have the X windshield replaced whenever the shop finally can fit me in as i have a decent sized rock chip.

with that being said, im currently using the Tesla front windshield screen, while it works, looks horrible (ie cheesy) and really takes away from the inside "beauty" of the windshield itself.

now that im going to have the windshield replaced, has anyone tinted the upper windshield region with a darker tint that really helped with blocking/reducing sun (ie more than what the OEM tint/shade is)? if so, what tint % did you go with, etc?

I did. I found the default tinting at the top of the windscreen not dark enough. I had it tinted with limo tint (5%), down to the top of the camera module. If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with a slightly less dark tint - while it does a great job of cutting off the glare, it does make you feel a little hemmed in.

I did. I found the default tinting at the top of the windscreen not dark enough. I had it tinted with limo tint (5%), down to the top of the camera module. If I had it to do over again, I would have gone with a slightly less dark tint - while it does a great job of cutting off the glare, it does make you feel a little hemmed in.

Thanks for the feedback. Any chance you can snap a pic from the inside?

IMG_0053.jpeg

Spectra Photosync is the best and highest protection for uv rays. Nothing better. Is pricey but worth it. Then you won't have to go so dark and cutoff that magnificent view. I got their absolute lightest shade, and the protection from the sun/uv is absolutely stellar.

I don't think many states allow for tinting on the front windshield, but if you go with the slightest tint like a 90% or similar, it would be very hard to tell and practically have no chance of getting enforced on the restriction.

The clear tint would still block out the heat, and would be a much better solution than to tint just the top. I actually want to have my windshield tinted so that I don't have to put up a sun shade in the front window every time I park in the sun, but the bigger problem is actually finding a tint shop that can competently do the huge and halfway split Model X windshields. There are not many Xs out there and even less that get a tint on the windshield, so not many shops have experience installing such a large piece and the ones that do charge a lot for it. There's a few Youtube videos of shops showing how they do it, so if you're feeling up to it, you could show them to a shop and ask them if they want to do it for you.

Reactions: IAMCCF
I just did one piece 70% for the whole windshield, not a fan of two piece tint, especially on X, you better just buy sunshades for that area, but I mean, it is your car, so do what you like :)
How did you find a shop that would tint the X windshield and how much did it cost, if you don't mind me asking?
Is 70% dark enough to make night driving a bit more difficult?

I want to get mine tinted as well but haven't called the shops around to ask if they can do it.