Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tint the windshield 50%?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
do you have pics?
Yeah. It’s Llumar CTX
F245BADD-3858-47A8-9C26-B70A994AF149.jpeg

Anyone tint the front windshield???
I see you are in California. Have you researched what the law is about tinting the windshield?

Know Your Rights – California Window Tint Laws – Criminal Defense Attorney Fresno | Top Lawyers Fresno

Quote: “A transparent material may be installed to the topmost portion of the windshield so long as the bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above the driver’s seat when in its rearmost and lowermost position. For most cars, this will be around the top 4 inches of the windshield,”

You cannot tint the entire windshield. See section 14(A)(c) of the code:
California Code, Vehicle Code - VEH § 26708 | FindLaw

If you tint your front windshield, and it's illegal in your state, you're involved in an accident, found to be at fault, and do not have medical justification for tinting, the other party's lawyer can claim that you are illegally operating a vehicle with obstructed forward visabilty.

Be careful.

I see you are in California. Have you researched what the law is about tinting the windshield?

Know Your Rights – California Window Tint Laws – Criminal Defense Attorney Fresno | Top Lawyers Fresno

Quote: “A transparent material may be installed to the topmost portion of the windshield so long as the bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above the driver’s seat when in its rearmost and lowermost position. For most cars, this will be around the top 4 inches of the windshield,”

You cannot tint the entire windshield. See section 14(A)(c) of the code:
California Code, Vehicle Code - VEH § 26708 | FindLaw
I don't think it's legal anywhere... With that being said, it didn't stop me, also I don't run a front plate either and that's not legal in Missouri.

Until the law is changed for trucks not having to run a rear plate, blah blah blah GVWR over a certain amount, blah blah blah, most of those trucks don't tow anything, I won't run a front plate. If someone commits a crime, they're going to be driving AWAY from you, and that's how you get the plate number, where as front plates are, are far as I'm concerns, just a way to make it easier to run radar and generate revenue. Some states don't require front plates at all.

I live in GA, where the legal limit on sides and rear is 32%. I got nano ceramic on sides and rear (make sure you find a tint shop that can do the rear with a single piece...it looks like garbage if they use two or don't fully tint the rear window).

I got 50% on the windshield. Technically not legal, but its never enforced here as we don't have required annual inspections (except ICE emissions in ATL). I think the 50 is perfect...it's not as dark in person as it looks in these images and really helps cut down on glare. I think the nano is something like 92% heat rejection as well (which eliminates the need for a screen while you park on a hot summer day).

I say go for it - but of course Id never encourage anyone to violate local laws/codes.

You want to check and see if it's even legal in your state. I don't think you can tint the front window in Oregon and rest have to be no more than 35% or something like that. So, if you plan to move to a state with more rules you might be getting tickets until your tinting is removed.
Two sources, though I know someone stated one error in the AAA site (I don't remember which state:
Rayno Film site
AAA site

If you search tinting laws by state, you will get several more

Texas states must have a light transmittance value of 25%. Does that level provide enough? I’ve always had cars that already had tint. The tint on my Honda seemed pretty dark and it was new from Honda when I purchased it. I think it’s darker than 25%