TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone Tint Their Windshield?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Jack Tripper, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Jack Tripper

Jack Tripper Member

I'm having my windows tinted primarily for UV and heat rejection, and the installer suggests also doing the windshield, as it's the biggest piece of unprotected glass on the car (I hear glass roof already has built in UV and heat rejection).

Anyone tint their windshield, and what brand did you use? I'm debating between Llumar Air and 3M Crystalline.

2. CuriousG

CuriousG Active Member

I used Suntek CIR. On my S I did 70% and I felt it was too dark for me for a windshield. You do get used to it but I get a lighter shade on the 3 with 75% and I like it better and notice the clarity as opposed to 70%. I think Llumar Air offers it in 80% so that would even be lighter. Something you may not be aware is if you wear polarized sunglasses, it may look weird looking through a windshield. So you may want to try it out on a car that has it installed just to see if it bothers you that much.

3. LCR1

LCR1 Member

Y'all are talking about the top 6" or so, right? I don't know of any state that allows full windshield tint with out a prescription.

4. Tummy

Tummy Member

We first had Crystalline on the windows and a few months later added Lumar on the windshield. Overall I don't notice it anymore, but initially there was some wavy distortion which I didn't like. It does cut down on the heat in the summer.

5. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I put Llumar Air 90 on the front. I do appreciate the heat rejection and it is legal in Texas.

I do feel there is a slight amount of distortion when looking out at an angle (say something far right), but I felt the window had distortion before tinting as well.

Some here of complaining about ghosting and/or halos at night. I have not experienced that problem.

6. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Active Member

It is illegal to tint the front window. Dangerous too, for obvious reasons.

7. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

It is legal in Texas. I believe 90% of the light must be allowed through.

Can’t even tell on my car, except the IR heat rejection.

8. mach330

mach330 Member

i got my front windshield tinted with formula stratos. i had the air blue before on my other car. this was the latest so i tried this out as the heat rejection "feel" seems better with stratos.

9. Drone Flyer

One of the reasons it is so dangerous is that you would not be able to detect a slick surface on the road such as an oil spill or black ice. It's not worth the risk just to be cool!

• Funny x 1
  10. Big Earl

Big Earl Supporting Member

What?

• Like x 2
  11. LCR1

LCR1 Member

Only the top 5" is legal in texas and it must end by the AS1 line. You can't tint the whole windshield.

12. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

1. A clear (un-tinted) UV film is allowed anywhere on the front windshield without a medical exemption being required.

Llumar made the Air 90 for this requirement. They previously only had the Air 80.

• Helpful x 1
  13. LCR1

LCR1 Member

Then it's not a tint, it's just a clear film.

14. Venomboy

Venomboy Member

I have mine tinted with Crystalline at 70%. Helps big time with the heat and haven't had any visibility issues. Is it legal? I'm no lawyer. LOL. But I'd recommend it.

• Like x 1
  15. OlderThanDirt

OlderThanDirt Member

Window film doesn’t have be dark anymore to give UV and great heat rejection. We have 3M Crystalline on all our cars.

While we do tint our windows to be Cool ❄️

It’s just not the Cool some here are thinking

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 1
  16. DÆrik

DÆrik Member

I had my windshield done with 70% & the sides/back with 30% Huper Optik ceramic tint. Looks great and have had zero issues seeing anything.

• Like x 1
  17. CuriousG

CuriousG Active Member

What should be illegal is misrepresenting a Tesla with fake badges. I'm surprised there isn't a Ludicrous underline.

upload_2018-1-29_11-44-49.png

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  18. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

This. I had 70 crystalline on my windshield in my S and saw rainbows everywhere when wearing polarized lenses. It was distracting. It is limited to the angle you sit at, as my taller husband didn't notice them. I did not have the windshield of my 3 tinted for that reason.

19. Drone Flyer

What?

20. CuriousG

CuriousG Active Member

Emphasis mine. You realize the irony in saying this says the person with the misrepresented badge and the handle Drone Flyer.

• Love x 1