Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Tint Their Windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having my windows tinted primarily for UV and heat rejection, and the installer suggests also doing the windshield, as it's the biggest piece of unprotected glass on the car (I hear glass roof already has built in UV and heat rejection).

Anyone tint their windshield, and what brand did you use? I'm debating between Llumar Air and 3M Crystalline.

I'm having my windows tinted primarily for UV and heat rejection, and the installer suggests also doing the windshield, as it's the biggest piece of unprotected glass on the car (I hear glass roof already has built in UV and heat rejection).

Anyone tint their windshield, and what brand did you use? I'm debating between Llumar Air and 3M Crystalline.
I used Suntek CIR. On my S I did 70% and I felt it was too dark for me for a windshield. You do get used to it but I get a lighter shade on the 3 with 75% and I like it better and notice the clarity as opposed to 70%. I think Llumar Air offers it in 80% so that would even be lighter. Something you may not be aware is if you wear polarized sunglasses, it may look weird looking through a windshield. So you may want to try it out on a car that has it installed just to see if it bothers you that much.

We first had Crystalline on the windows and a few months later added Lumar on the windshield. Overall I don't notice it anymore, but initially there was some wavy distortion which I didn't like. It does cut down on the heat in the summer.

I put Llumar Air 90 on the front. I do appreciate the heat rejection and it is legal in Texas.

I do feel there is a slight amount of distortion when looking out at an angle (say something far right), but I felt the window had distortion before tinting as well.

Some here of complaining about ghosting and/or halos at night. I have not experienced that problem.

It is illegal to tint the front window. Dangerous too, for obvious reasons.

It is illegal to tint the front window. Dangerous too, for obvious reasons.
What should be illegal is misrepresenting a Tesla with fake badges. I'm surprised there isn't a Ludicrous underline.

upload_2018-1-29_11-44-49.png

Something you may not be aware is if you wear polarized sunglasses, it may look weird looking through a windshield. So you may want to try it out on a car that has it installed just to see if it bothers you that much.

This. I had 70 crystalline on my windshield in my S and saw rainbows everywhere when wearing polarized lenses. It was distracting. It is limited to the angle you sit at, as my taller husband didn't notice them. I did not have the windshield of my 3 tinted for that reason.