Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Tint Their Windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Y'all are talking about the top 6" or so, right? I don't know of any state that allows full windshield tint with out a prescription.

Texas does. My entire windshield is "tinted" but it's tinting that primarily blocks UV and IR. Very little visible light is blocked.

A moment later: OK, i see that others have chimed in on this point of "clear film" versus "tint." Consider my reply redundant.

I have crystalline 90 and it is same as clear, but there is a noticeable diff when it comes to heat reduction. I have crystalline 70 for all other glass except for the glsss roof.

When looking for tint, be sure to check tser (energy rejection) and not just how visually dark it is. IR light contributes to nearly 50% of solar energy, you will want to block most of that.

I got FlexFilm's NanoFlex 20% on the side windows and rear windshield of my Model S. I also got their 72% film on the entire windshield. Here is what's legal in Florida:

Tint darkness for sedans:
  • Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed above the manufacturer's AS-1 line.
  • Front Side windows: Must allow more than 28% of light in.
  • Back Side windows: Must allow more than 15% of light in.
  • Rear Window: Must allow more than 15% of light in.
So... legal on the back side windows and rear window, but illegal on the front side windows and the windshield. Am I going to get pulled over for my tint... highly doubtful. The front windows are close to legal and the film/tint on the front windshield is practically clear. There is an ever so slight difference when you look out the windshield from inside the car, but I have had a lot of friends get in my car and not even notice it (day or night). Here in Florida having the whole windshield (and the rest of the windows) tinted cuts way down on the heat getting into the car and that makes the whole thing worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_4164.JPG
    IMG_4164.JPG
    531 KB · Views: 375
  • Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I have had Crystalline 90 on the windshield of my black on black BMW for a couple of years. Makes a HUGE difference. Kids used to hate my car because of it, but now it is almost as cool as my wife's car w/ light tan interior. No distortion of funny colorings or anything, I get plenty of that from polarized sunglasses, but none when I don't wear them. NO discernable difference in vision from the prior few years I had the car before I did it.

I'm having my windows tinted primarily for UV and heat rejection, and the installer suggests also doing the windshield, as it's the biggest piece of unprotected glass on the car (I hear glass roof already has built in UV and heat rejection).

Anyone tint their windshield, and what brand did you use? I'm debating between Llumar Air and 3M Crystalline.

I had Spectra Photosync 75% applied to the entire windshield of my Model X and I LOVE it! It doesn't affect my vision at all and the difference in cabin temp is awesome!

• Helpful
Reactions: TaoJones
Spectra Photosync is the best heat rejecting film in the industry. It is also the most exclusive. You will find plenty of owner testimonies if you do a search here or on the web. We've applied tint to front windshields on a several thousand Teslas over the years, with plenty of customers raving about the difference they feel in heat rejection. We recommend Photosync 75% for the best balance of visual clarity and heat rejection.

When considering tinting the front windshield, one thing to consider is whether you wear Polarized sunglasses while driving. There is a natural rainbow effect that occurs when looking through polarized sunglasses. We always let our customers know this and for them look through the tinted glass before making the decision to do the tint. This does not bother most of our customers.

If you are not in our area, let me know and I can recommend some of the best companies in your area.

ms1.jpg
ms2.jpg
ms3.jpg

Spectra Photosync is the best heat rejecting film in the industry. It is also the most exclusive. You will find plenty of owner testimonies if you do a search here or on the web. We've applied tint to front windshields on a several thousand Teslas over the years, with plenty of customers raving about the difference they feel in heat rejection. We recommend Photosync 75% for the best balance of visual clarity and heat rejection.

When considering tinting the front windshield, one thing to consider is whether you wear Polarized sunglasses while driving. There is a natural rainbow effect that occurs when looking through polarized sunglasses. We always let our customers know this and for them look through the tinted glass before making the decision to do the tint. This does not bother most of our customers.

If you are not in our area, let me know and I can recommend some of the best companies in your area.

View attachment 285352 View attachment 285353 View attachment 285354

Know anyone in the Jacksonville area?

Hopefully can find someone to do the tint and full Xpel wrap.

I did the windshield and do in all of my vehicles, in MI where is it completely illegal and I could care less.

The first tint was something more expensive, recommended by the shop. They said it was ceramic tint and had higher heat rejection at the same % as standard tint. It distorted the view and he blamed the windshield. After serious fighting they redid it with standard tint, I believe 50% and it's fine.

-During sunny weather, it's safer than a clear windshield and reduces glare, making it easier to see (even with sunglasses)
-At night the loss in visibility is negledgable and headlight glare is reduced, I prefer it at night even over non-tinted for this reason.
-I have had two family accidents in vehicles. One where my wife got glass embedded in her head from the windshield (no tint), one where my sister was broad sided. Hurt but no glass. The side window shatters and door pushed in but tint caught all the glass. Asking me to take the tint off any window would be like me asking an officer to take off her bullet proof vest and that's what I'd tell em if they ever asked but it's been like 10 years w/o issue.
-Long term sun exposure, even at low levels is a cause of cancer and aging. The car is where most people get most of their sun. By protecting every window you reducing aging and create health benefits. I am 45, look 35 with no wrinkles. Huge on anti-aging. This pic shows a truck driver's damage from sun on one side. Sun damage after 28 years of driving a delivery truck

I know a "friend" in Florida who had Photosync applied to the entire front windshield of their S. The heat reduction is excellent. Blocking harmful UV rays is just as important. Not having to use sunglasses all the time while driving is a nice benefit. Driving at night is a non-issue.

Placing your GPS, phone or radar detector in the middle of your windshield below your rearview mirror is also illegal in many states - so is hanging fuzzy dice and those ridiculous dream catchers from your mirror. Please don't do this as they obstruct your view, increasing the likelihood of hitting something or someone. The authorities rarely, if ever ticket for those obstruction infractions. So being cited for a tinted windshield would be extremely rare IMO.

The benefits of a tinted windshield far outweigh any of the cons. My friend recommends Photosync.

Any visual issue when using polarized sunglasses? Also, are there a bunch of small "3M" logos on the film?

I haven't had any issues. There are 3M logos which my installer said I could remove after 10 days with rubbing alcohol. They came off instantly :)

The only thing I saw was the other day it was raining in the morning and I was parked outside a small shop with a really bright halogen looking light; it was pointing at my windshield and I saw some rainbows on the windshield from the outside of the car. However, inside the car I didn't see them and I haven't had any issues with any sunglasses.

Here is also a comparison between 3m Crystalline 70 and Spectra Photosync 75

Equipment used to measure
EDTM Spectrum Analyzer (this is the most accurate measuring tool that works on NFRC300 specs). This unit will break down the amount of infrared is blocked from 900-1000nm and up to 1700nm.

Photosync 75% (already installed to car in photo)
96% infrared radiation rejection at 900-1000nm
94% infrared radiation rejection up to 1700nm

Crystalline 70% (pulled from box in photo)
97% infrared radiation rejection at 900-1000nm
80% infrared radiation rejection up to 1700nm

Crystalline has a pretty big performance drop off at the 1700nm range, which is the area we really feel the most during summer. Additionally Photosync is 5% lighter as well.
sph 75.jpg
cr 70.jpg

Oy vey es mir; much handwringing in this thread. If you don’t like the recommended windshield film for whatever reason, then don’t put it on *your* windshield. Just because something is legal doesn’t make it right, *and vice versa*.

Photosync 75 on my windshields has been fantastic:

Pros:
1. Less glare, period.
2. Less eye fatigue during long drives.
3. Less need for sunglasses (earlier) as the day progresses.
4. No significant issues with rainbows with my current polarized sunglasses (Costa blue).
5. The windshield film is essentially invisible.

Cons:
1. It ain’t cheap - if you lose a windshield due to irreparable rock damage, you get to pay for a new windshield *and* new tint.

2. As with any film, it takes some time to cure. Which means you’ll be without a traditional windshield-mount radar detector or dashcams fore and aft during those few weeks.

Concerning con #1, I recommend C-Bond’s Nanoshield exterior windshield coating. Inexpensive to have applied and has a good warranty.

If your eyes aren’t sensitive to glare or if you live at a latitude at which the sun is less of a big deal, then window tint may not be a priority - congrats for your good fortune.

I appreciate the darker Photosync all around for heat rejection, and the clear Photosync on the windshield for glare reduction. No problems with visibility at night. Less glare then too.

I did the windshield and do in all of my vehicles, in MI where is it completely illegal and I could care less.

The first tint was something more expensive, recommended by the shop. They said it was ceramic tint and had higher heat rejection at the same % as standard tint. It distorted the view and he blamed the windshield. After serious fighting they redid it with standard tint, I believe 50% and it's fine.

-During sunny weather, it's safer than a clear windshield and reduces glare, making it easier to see (even with sunglasses)
-At night the loss in visibility is negledgable and headlight glare is reduced, I prefer it at night even over non-tinted for this reason.
-I have had two family accidents in vehicles. One where my wife got glass embedded in her head from the windshield (no tint), one where my sister was broad sided. Hurt but no glass. The side window shatters and door pushed in but tint caught all the glass. Asking me to take the tint off any window would be like me asking an officer to take off her bullet proof vest and that's what I'd tell em if they ever asked but it's been like 10 years w/o issue.
-Long term sun exposure, even at low levels is a cause of cancer and aging. The car is where most people get most of their sun. By protecting every window you reducing aging and create health benefits. I am 45, look 35 with no wrinkles. Huge on anti-aging. This pic shows a truck driver's damage from sun on one side. Sun damage after 28 years of driving a delivery truck

These are great points.

I am reminded that years ago, a friend left her purse visible in my car. Came back to a broken side window which, due to the tint, was almost completely in one piece with very few glass pieces loose in the car.

These days, there’s a product called C-Bond I (one) that is used during tint application to strengthen the end result. C-Bond II (two) is a different animal not suited for cars. Ask about C-Bond I, if nothing else or if you’ve already had tint applied, for the small aft triangle windows that are so often a target for trunk theft.

More recently, a friend had her new car tinted and she specifically said she didn’t care about heat and that she wanted tint because she didn’t want age spots due to her 3-hour/day commute. Who knew this was a thing? Anyway, she opted for Photosync 45 all around with 75 for the windshield, and was very happy until some miscreant t-boned her chariot after running a stop sign and that was the end of that chariot.