Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Tint Their Windshield?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
[
Here is also a comparison between 3m Crystalline 70 and Spectra Photosync 75

Equipment used to measure
EDTM Spectrum Analyzer (this is the most accurate measuring tool that works on NFRC300 specs). This unit will break down the amount of infrared is blocked from 900-1000nm and up to 1700nm.

Photosync 75% (already installed to car in photo)
96% infrared radiation rejection at 900-1000nm
94% infrared radiation rejection up to 1700nm

Crystalline 70% (pulled from box in photo)
97% infrared radiation rejection at 900-1000nm
80% infrared radiation rejection up to 1700nm

Crystalline has a pretty big performance drop off at the 1700nm range, which is the area we really feel the most during summer. Additionally Photosync is 5% lighter as well. View attachment 289549 View attachment 289551

Very informative Premier. Also the reason I switched from Huper to Photosync. In those triple digit summer months, makes a huge difference. I remember how I blasted my AC on the LO setting before getting Photosync and after I got it, I would set it at a cool 71 degrees on 3rd fan setting.

It is illegal to tint the front window. Dangerous too, for obvious reasons.
I’d like to say clear tinting is a good idea to reduce heat! Absolutely. Sorry for my confusing post. However, legal or not, tinting the front window with a dark shade other than clear would not be a good idea still. You need to be able to see clearly through it especially in pouring rain and at night!

I’d like to say clear tinting is a good idea to reduce heat! Absolutely. Sorry for my confusing post. However, legal or not, tinting the front window with a dark shade other than clear would not be a good idea still. You need to be able to see clearly through it especially in pouring rain and at night!

This is why we use Ceraluxe IRD or Spectra Photosync Nano Clear Films. Their products are the highest tech giving the highest heat rejection of any film on the market and they are quite clear. We have carried 3M Crystalline, Huper, Madico (all the top end films) and none compare to Photosync and Ceraluxe's clarity.

Reactions: Extreme Autowerks
Have folks run into any issues with state inspection or other stickers that are mandatory on windshields? When I was getting the rest of my windows tinted, I was considering getting a clear one on the front, but another customer mentioned the issue of the annual state inspection stickers needing to be scraped off and replaced which would ruin the tint. Any thoughts?

Have folks run into any issues with state inspection or other stickers that are mandatory on windshields? When I was getting the rest of my windows tinted, I was considering getting a clear one on the front, but another customer mentioned the issue of the annual state inspection stickers needing to be scraped off and replaced which would ruin the tint. Any thoughts?

Don’t have to deal with that BS money grab by the government down here in Florida.

I buy clear removable cling film from amazon and affix my registration sticker to a square of that and then affix the clear film to the inside of the windshield. When the year is up, the square of clear film peels off effortlessly, taking the expired sticker with it.

Tinting the front windshield to reduce the heat/UV is definitely recommended. Make sure you find a high quality film like Ceraluxe or Photosync to maximize the heat rejection while maintaining visibility. Since you'll want to go light (for legal and visibility reasons), every bit of heat rejection counts.

Here is also a comparison between 3m Crystalline 70 and Spectra Photosync 75

Equipment used to measure
EDTM Spectrum Analyzer (this is the most accurate measuring tool that works on NFRC300 specs). This unit will break down the amount of infrared is blocked from 900-1000nm and up to 1700nm.

Photosync 75% (already installed to car in photo)
96% infrared radiation rejection at 900-1000nm
94% infrared radiation rejection up to 1700nm

Crystalline 70% (pulled from box in photo)
97% infrared radiation rejection at 900-1000nm
80% infrared radiation rejection up to 1700nm

Crystalline has a pretty big performance drop off at the 1700nm range, which is the area we really feel the most during summer. Additionally Photosync is 5% lighter as well. View attachment 289549 View attachment 289551

I see an discrepancy with the way you measured the films. You didn't measure them the same way.

The Photosync film was measured after it was installed on glass, but the Crystalline film was not.
You should measure the Photosync the same way you measured the Crystalline, straight out of the box.

Reactions: Dr. J
I see an discrepancy with the way you measured the films. You didn't measure them the same way.

The Photosync film was measured after it was installed on glass, but the Crystalline film was not.
You should measure the Photosync the
same way you measured the Crystalline, straight out of the box.

The side windows on the Tesla Model S do not have any IR blocking mechanisms, so it is relatively clear.

i got my front windshield tinted with formula stratos. i had the air blue before on my other car. this was the latest so i tried this out as the heat rejection "feel" seems better with stratos.

I had Stratos 70% installed on my Model 3 windshield a few days ago and I'm noticing some minor distortion or graininess looking ahead.

Wondering if you had the same and I might just need more drying/curing time.

Never had a windshield tinted before, but assumed it would be visually clear like the side windows with just a slight hue.

I have had 3M clear ceramic tint on the windshield of two cars so far. I live in the CA desert where summer temps approach 120F. It makes a tremendous difference, as far as heat rejection. I had it done at a well-reputed shop which works with the local high-end dealerships. However - there are defects that are very obvious, such as collections of bubbles and odd lines here and there. I’m thinking of seeing if they can redo it better, because I really did not want to “see” the tint. (It’s only been 3 months). But - even though I’m pretty particular, it’s still worth the minor annoyance for having a cool interior when in the blazing sun.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911