Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tinted the glass roof, results?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m in Qld, i was told the rear can be 20%. The rear looks a bit darker but not too noticeable. I like it.
I was told factory privacy glass is 20% so check out some of the euro cars with privacy glass and tinted front windows, that should give you an idea how they look. Here’s another pic:

Attachments

• 12B86D89-7A44-4B70-81F5-2C18B9207407.jpeg
    12B86D89-7A44-4B70-81F5-2C18B9207407.jpeg
    476.4 KB · Views: 418
  • 0D8E4A5B-8918-4624-BBC5-011B821027B1.jpeg
    0D8E4A5B-8918-4624-BBC5-011B821027B1.jpeg
    23.5 KB · Views: 392
Today was the first time I had the chance to drive in the middle of the day, 32 degree. I think the film on the roof does reduce the heat coming though, though I could still feel some heat, but less than before. May be it is a placebo effect, as I don't have an objective way to measure the heat transmitted through the roof, and had to rely of my recall to judge. I think it's worth doing, and another positive is the cabin is not too bright now under midday sun.

Reactions: nl_carey
35% on front side windows, 35 % on rear glass/windscreen in one piece to the middle of the roof, 20% on rear side windows. I believe in Qld the darkest legal tint for front windows and rear windscreen is 35%, but can be darker on rear windows.

Rayno S9 carbon ceramic film, just don’t ask me what carbon ceramic means :).

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: HighlyCharged
Just had my M3 done by Chris at CT Tinting in Brisbane. He and his colleague did a full paint correction, ceramic coating using Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra and IR Extreme window film (40%) applied to sides and rear. The whole job took only 24 hours and I'm really pleased with the result. I would like to thank the earlier poster who provided his details as it is sometimes a crap shoot finding someone who will do a professional job and stand by the work done.

Attachments

• IMG_5658.JPG
    IMG_5658.JPG
    737.7 KB · Views: 396
Just had my M3 done by Chris at CT Tinting in Brisbane. He and his colleague did a full paint correction, ceramic coating using Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra and IR Extreme window film (40%) applied to sides and rear. The whole job took only 24 hours and I'm really pleased with the result. I would like to thank the earlier poster who provided his details as it is sometimes a crap shoot finding someone who will do a professional job and stand by the work done.
Looks amazing

I'm looking into getting the roof in my soon to arrive Model 3 tinted as well. I drove a friend's for a day on a pretty normal sunny day (around 28-degrees) and my main complaint was the insane amount of heat frying my noggin.

Anyone got a price on what the cost would be for the roof tint?

I am assuming you had the job done at Solar Style.....about $695...does that sound right?
And the rear window piece finishes at the first line in the glass roof?

Yep, SolarStyle. $750 total, $150 less without the front roof/sunroof. $695 was the original quote not including the front roof. Not sure what you meant by the first line in the glass roof, but the whole piece of rear window was tinted.

I have the roof on both my Model S and Model X tinted, plus the upper portion of the windscreen of the X. It makes the cars much more livable in summer.
I had to cajole the installers into doing it though, they refused initially as it is against the law in Victoria, even at the correct tint levels. I've had no issues in the 3 years since it was done.

Be aware of several members on the Australian Facebook Tesla groups reporting that Tesla refused to fix their fear windscreens after heat cracks developed blaming the tint.

They claim that the tint traps the heat at spots when the rear heating element is turned on and that concentrated heat can cause cracks in the glass. This has been backed by a couple of tint installers who also refuse to do the rear sunroof.

Whether that ends up being the real cause is hard to know but personally I don’t think I want to chance it so I decided against it.