Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone took the Model 3 to service because of phantom drain?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I run out of options, I have tried anything mentioned in the master thread here, it still lost 1KM per hour. I am thinking anyone has the experience with the Tesla service and anything they found?

If you have , or EVER have had ANY third party apps you used, that could be the source of your problem. Also, you could have a stuck update or something that is trying to download. You can try turning off data sharing and wifi as well to see if that stops the drain.

Note, OP if you have a third party app running and even whisper about having (or ever having had) it running when talking to tesla, they will tell you to pound sand and go away... so after changing your tesla account password to ensure there is no link to any of those apps anywhere still active, DO NOT MENTION EVER HAVING IT to tesla, not even " I used to, but its gone now".

Reactions: hcdavis3
Does disconnecting the car Wi-Fi from your router make any difference? My car goes to sleep within 15 minutes every time unless it's connected to Wi-Fi.

If you have , or EVER have had ANY third party apps you used, that could be the source of your problem. Also, you could have a stuck update or something that is trying to download. You can try turning off data sharing and wifi as well to see if that stops the drain.

Note, OP if you have a third party app running and even whisper about having (or ever having had) it running when talking to tesla, they will tell you to pound sand and go away... so after changing your tesla account password to ensure there is no link to any of those apps anywhere still active, DO NOT MENTION EVER HAVING IT to tesla, not even " I used to, but its gone now".

If it is sending or receiving info, it will stay awake, but then go to sleep when complete.

Thanks guys for helping. But like I said that I tried all the options. Nothing helps, if I reset my screen few times it will become better. But after recharging, the symptoms will come back.

Thanks guys for helping. But like I said that I tried all the options. Nothing helps, if I reset my screen few times it will become better. But after recharging, the symptoms will come back.

Perhaps list the options you tried?
It'll be necessary when you take it into Tesla.

BTW sounds like you are losing about 5% per day, which is extremely high.
Background usage is normally under 1% per day, though people can see higher in temperature extremes.

As mentioned by others, if your car is parked outside, this is to be expected - range is reduced as the battery cools. If your car is parked in a heated garage (above 50 degrees) and you're still seeing all this loss, then might be worth having Tesla look at it.

If your 12V battery were really leaky this could happen, but Tesla has detection built in for bad 12V batteries, I think, so you'd expect other errors.

Another thing to diagnose: If you hear the contactors OPEN, and using the Apple iPhone Widget (not the app!) shows your car is asleep, then you cannot have significant vampire drain. So if that's happening (the car is reliably sleeping), it's a clue it might just be temperature. Your issue seems so bad that your contactors should never open or be constantly opening and closing.

Another debug strategy: allow the car to cool overnight (preferably leave it cold soaking for more than 24 hours). After the cold soak, check the capacity, then turn off Bluetooth on your phone and wait for the car to go to sleep (wait for the contactors to pop open - it can take a little while, but be sure to turn off Bluetooth on your phone!). Use that mileage as your baseline. After hearing the car go to sleep (you can check using the Apple Tesla widget that it is sleeping - you don't need Bluetooth (do not open the app!)...), without driving the car, wait a few more hours, and see how many additional miles have been lost. That eliminates (mostly) the effects of temperature. If there are minimal additional miles lost, what you're seeing overnight is likely just a temperature effect.

Last edited:
I did because I was losing a mile every 2 hours and I got the same old BS rhetoric, "we checked, and it's operating within normal specifications", which translates to "we don't know why and quite frankly we don't give a sh!t". That said, it has gotten better since 20.4.1 was downloaded.

Okay, I talked to a online chat guy. He said at 32F garage temperature lose 24KM per 12 hrs during night is perfectly normal. In that case, I don’t want to argue. Perhaps go to the service center is wasting time.

As mentioned above, it's entirely likely/possible that a large portion of this "lost" energy is only temporarily unavailable. You'd have to look at the change on the subsequent night (after not driving the car and having it remain freezing cold) to see how much is due to vampire drain and how much is temporary due to temperature change.

• Informative
Reactions: byeLT4