TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Anyone tow a popup camper with X?

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by vrykolas, Dec 16, 2016.

1. vrykolas

vrykolas Member

We're picking up our X 90D next week, and we're looking into popup campers (in the future).
    Anyone have experience towing a popup camper (or similar)?

[​IMG]

We're looking at something roughly of this type (pictured). Estimated weight will be 2200 lbs or 1000 kg.
    We're looking to buy a used popup camper and only use it periodically.

We probably won't tow it cross-country, but we'll probably drive within 12 hours range. So I'd like to be able to make it to superchargers (in Texas area).

1) What was the weight of the popup camper?
    2) What was the effect of energy usage while towing? Wh/mile or Wh/km
    3) Other thoughts/comments?

Thanks,

2. JimVandegriff

JimVandegriff Member

If you haven't done this already, check out the thread here: Camping Trailer Selection for Model X . I found the type of camper you pictured to be really interesting when I researched them at RV shows before we purchased our trailer. Let us know what you decide.

• Like x 1
  3. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

It has been a while since I have traveled with an RV, but it used to be that some RV parks would not allow pop-up campers. You might do some research to see if that is still a practice. You may think you will use state parks or national parks, but relatively few of those have 50 amp service, which is the whole idea -- to be able to charge at night while camping. Yes, you can charge some with a tt-30 outlet (maybe 100 mi/ night) but not while the camper is plugged in.

• Informative x 1
  4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I tow an Aliner pop-up with my Volt and while it does fine my rang is cut in half. The Aliner is 1650 lbs dry weight and I assume 2000 loaded.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  5. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Charge up to max but then aim for an SC that is not much more than 150 miles away so you can gauge the usage of your rig. Avoid headwinds and high speed.
    --

• Like x 2
  6. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

There are places that rent pop-ups. I would do that to see the real impact on range under your driving habits.

One thing to remember is that almost all trailer tires are limited to 65 mph rating. You'll probably be going much slower than that due to range limitations anyway, but just don't think that your travel speed will be unaffected.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1