Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tow a popup camper with X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We're picking up our X 90D next week, and we're looking into popup campers (in the future).
Anyone have experience towing a popup camper (or similar)?

fleetwood-camper-closed.jpg

We're looking at something roughly of this type (pictured). Estimated weight will be 2200 lbs or 1000 kg.
We're looking to buy a used popup camper and only use it periodically.

We probably won't tow it cross-country, but we'll probably drive within 12 hours range. So I'd like to be able to make it to superchargers (in Texas area).

1) What was the weight of the popup camper?
2) What was the effect of energy usage while towing? Wh/mile or Wh/km
3) Other thoughts/comments?

Thanks,

It has been a while since I have traveled with an RV, but it used to be that some RV parks would not allow pop-up campers. You might do some research to see if that is still a practice. You may think you will use state parks or national parks, but relatively few of those have 50 amp service, which is the whole idea -- to be able to charge at night while camping. Yes, you can charge some with a tt-30 outlet (maybe 100 mi/ night) but not while the camper is plugged in.

There are places that rent pop-ups. I would do that to see the real impact on range under your driving habits.

One thing to remember is that almost all trailer tires are limited to 65 mph rating. You'll probably be going much slower than that due to range limitations anyway, but just don't think that your travel speed will be unaffected.

I have been looking and haven’t seen the data on Wh/min towing a pop-up like an A-Liner. Far less frontal area for drag and they are generally light. I’m hopeful that one could achieve 450Wh/mi average with such a trailer?

I have been looking and haven’t seen the data on Wh/min towing a pop-up like an A-Liner. Far less frontal area for drag and they are generally light. I’m hopeful that one could achieve 450Wh/mi average with such a trailer?
I get around 50% range towing a pop-up trailer. The v^2 drag is REALLY bad, so just never drive 80mph with that thing behind you. It’s definitely a burden, particularly I found because you have to charge up near 100% at superchargers which gets much slower as you’re into the taper.

I get around 50% range towing a pop-up trailer. The v^2 drag is REALLY bad, so just never drive 80mph with that thing behind you. It’s definitely a burden, particularly I found because you have to charge up near 100% at superchargers which gets much slower as you’re into the taper.
50% range; so 600+ Wh/mi? Wow that’s bad... are you going 55mph or faster?

I get around 50% range towing a pop-up trailer. The v^2 drag is REALLY bad, so just never drive 80mph with that thing behind you
You have driven 80mph while towing a trailer? :confused: Of course your energy usage will be sky high. And your speeding ticket cost will also be sky high.

What is your energy usage while towing the trailer at. 65mph? My understanding is that is the legal limit in Idaho (where I assume you live) when towing.

I tow at 55mph in California, and under ideal conditions can get as low as 485Wh/mi. My trailer has much more frontal area compared to a pop-up.​

I just completed a travel with a TEARDROP TRAILER, which maybe is same weight as a pop up, but more frontal area. I did 518Wh/mi.. pretty bad if you ask me… I will test with a pop up later this year.

Thanks
That’s because ”teardrop” trailers are aerodynamically a disaster.

Please provide the dimensions and weight of your trailer, and maybe a photo?

Reactions: henderrj