Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone trade in their Model 3 lease to another dealer?

clerks

Jan 18, 2021
Pittsburgh
Well...after much negotiation and back and forth, I decided to take the plug and get into the BMW. We ended up with only a couple grand in negative equity which is a hell of a lot cheaper than the several thousands I’d owe in mileage overages if I kept the Tesla lease to term so that’s exciting.

Looking forward to being back in a real luxury car again. Going to miss a few things about the Tesla (namely Autopilot, the instant torque, 0-60 time, remote control, and other little gimmicks like Netflix/Hulu) but overall I am thrilled to have a car company that actually has the capacity to service their customers.
Congrats OP. Glad it worked out. Enjoy the new ride.

Reactions: idealdreams

Scrannel

Sep 27, 2019
Malibu, CA United States
My situation is a bit different. I leased a M3P in Sept 2019 more or less 'blind.' Never even drove a Tesla. Now, I want to keep the car -- economics aren't an issue -- but how? Tesla has begun loosening up in some markets to allow Y & 3 owners to buy out their car at lease end. So, we'll have to see on that. However, I have a car dealer/friend who would be willing to do a sort of 'loop transaction' -- buying my car and reselling to me for the costs involved. Anyone see a landmine in this that I'm missing? Thanks

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
My situation is a bit different. I leased a M3P in Sept 2019 more or less 'blind.' Never even drove a Tesla. Now, I want to keep the car -- economics aren't an issue -- but how? Tesla has begun loosening up in some markets to allow Y & 3 owners to buy out their car at lease end. So, we'll have to see on that. However, I have a car dealer/friend who would be willing to do a sort of 'loop transaction' -- buying my car and reselling to me for the costs involved. Anyone see a landmine in this that I'm missing? Thanks
if you are in a 3 year lease, you should simply let it play out and engage your friend in the last month to see what their buyout price would be from tesla, and decide from there. For all we know, Tesla may relax those rules before your lease ends. There is no reason to do anything before the end.

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
My wifes car is a 2019 BMW X3, which we leased in January of 2019 (January 4th, 2019 actually). Right now, in April of 2021, it has 5100 miles on it. She normally drives about 5-6k a year, but.. last year neither she nor I did much driving. I normally put almost 20k miles a year on my vehicles driving to work and back, and last year I put like 6k on my model 3.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC