Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone traded in a leased Tesla back to Tesla early?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sdorn

Director of Awesome
Supporting Member
Oct 9, 2016
Georgia
I have a Tesla Model 3 with a lease that ends in 2023. Thinking I might get a Cybertruck or Plaid+ Model S (or maybe even a Roadster if they ever come out) sometime in the next year or so but before the M3 lease ends. Has anyone else done this with Tesla where they traded in a leased Tesla back to Tesla for a new Tesla prior to the end of the lease? If so did they make any accommodation or just charge you the normal termination costs similar to anytime you end a lease early? The M3 doesn't have a buyout option at the end of the lease so not sure how they do that with the M3.

My M3 only has about 2,700 miles on it even though the lease is 15 months in because of the pandemic. It sits in my driveway under a car cover 90% of the time.

Most leases have a way to turn in the vehicle early. It involves paying fees.

But give the order delays on the X, S, and others you might very well be into 2023 before you could get one ordered today. I ordered a new X a week or so ago and it was originally a Jan/Feb 2022 delivery. Now it is not even on my list of cars and the reservation number returns no match. Apparently, this has happened to a lot of X reservation holders.