Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone traveling thru Calif this Summer/Fall check fire map

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
If you are planning a road trip thru California this Summer or Fall, you’d be wise to check and keep checking the Calif fire map to locate wildfires in the area you might be passing thru or heading towards. Wildfires season is well underway already. If conditions are windy fires can quickly blow up and advance. I always keep the site handy on my phone so I don’t have to search for it.

Here’s the link to CalFIRE’S site: http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents

There’s a Google map to the right side of the page and underneath it a link to go to a larger map to view. I find that it’s the easiest way to check out the State if you’ll be doing more than a rather localized drive along the length of the State. Clicking on a fire symbol on the map will bring up the incident report that will describe location, acreage, percentage of containment and road closures and other pertinent info as well as the Fire name.

If you have Bio-Weapon Defense mode on your MS/X, use it. One of our Calif roadtrips took us down 101 past several wildfires and into town where a nearby wildfire had started and expanded just the day before our arrival. The BWD was fabulous and until we opened the door didn’t detect any smoke in the car. The Model 3 doesn’t offer this level of filtration but Elon said the car has the second best filtering of any cars (Model S/X being #1 naturally) so will be interested to hear reports on it as people drive past wildfire areas. Have a Model 3 on order so hoping it’s really good, as BWD was one of the options I had hoped was being migrated to the Model 3 and disappointed to hear it wasn’t.

• Informative
Reactions: bmah