Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tried ChaDemo adapter in Ontario? What your experience? Here is mine.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've tried CHAdeMO on my Model 3 at ChargePoint, Petro Canada and FLO Stations. With ChargePoint and Petro Canada, I was able to pull in ~46kW from 10% all the way to about 88% before it drops down to ~32kW. This was consistent with the 4 charges I did (two with ChargePoint and two with Petro Canada). With FLO, I did notice it would start at ~40kW or so but it drops off soon after. I suspect some sort of compatibility or communication issue with FLO and the Model 3

DBA6F078-98A5-41E7-9E47-722993AB43B9.JPG

DEB3F936-BC65-406E-A698-DB9FC81134FB.JPG

I've tried CHAdeMO on my Model 3 at ChargePoint, Petro Canada and FLO Stations. With ChargePoint and Petro Canada, I was able to pull in ~46kW from 10% all the way to about 88% before it drops down to ~32kW. This was consistent with the 4 charges I did (two with ChargePoint and two with Petro Canada). With FLO, I did notice it would start at ~40kW or so but it drops off soon after. I suspect some sort of compatibility or communication issue with FLO and the Model 3

View attachment 438567

View attachment 438568

Good to know only FLO with low speeds.

Today I have got the 24.4 software, so I went to a FLO station. The charging starts at 40Kw, and quickly decreased to 20kw after Soc over 50%.

With this, I don’t think ChaDemo is workable if we try to rely this for long distance travel.
Check this thread I started a while back

Poll: Do you plan on buying a chademo adapter?

On page 3 I did a test at my local Ikea with my wife's bolt. By page 7 I got the update and adapter and did 2 tests with pics of the charge rate at various SOC.

Pulling close to 50kw over a pretty wide band, so seems your experience is limited to the station you were at possibly?

I do know from experience using the same Ikea charger on our Bolt in the winter that you take a big hit in charge rate. The bolt was only pulling around 60-70A when it was cold outside (with a cold soaked battery).

Check this thread I started a while back

On page 3 I did a test at my local Ikea with my wife's bolt. By page 7 I got the update and adapter and did 2 tests with pics of the charge rate at various SOC.

Pulling close to 50kw over a pretty wide band, so seems your experience is limited to the station you were at possibly?

I do know from experience using the same Ikea charger on our Bolt in the winter that you take a big hit in charge rate. The bolt was only pulling around 60-70A when it was cold outside (with a cold soaked battery).

Above ppl , already concluded that the slow speed is the compatibility issue with FLO DC chargers.

I bought the ChaDeMo adaptor for a recent road trip into Quebec, never had to use it in Montreal. Tested it yesterday. FLO started at 34kW and dropped to 19kW at 30% SoC - Kinda weird. Went down the road to Nissan HQ and I got ~40kW consistently to 80% SoC (setting).

FLO is a disaster network, its hit or miss at random spots. Almost depends on the installer who installed the station...

Plus though, there's 2 five banks of ChargePoints by the AirPort and I commute pass them daily. Now I wonder if the Model 3 BMS has a DCFC limit like the Model S.. most likely as they're both Li-IOn :oops:

I bought the ChaDeMo adaptor for a recent road trip into Quebec, never had to use it in Montreal. Tested it yesterday. FLO started at 34kW and dropped to 19kW at 30% SoC - Kinda weird. Went down the road to Nissan HQ and I got ~40kW consistently to 80% SoC (setting).

FLO is a disaster network, its hit or miss at random spots. Almost depends on the installer who installed the station...

Plus though, there's 2 five banks of ChargePoints by the AirPort and I commute pass them daily. Now I wonder if the Model 3 BMS has a DCFC limit like the Model S.. most likely as they're both Li-IOn :oops:
If its like the model S, it shouldn't be a huge concern. At least for my type of driving, you put on the km more than me...but even then as long as you aren't 100% chademo charging it should be fine, and limiting the charge rate to 90 kW doesn't seem so bad to me anyway after years of charging. But YMMV

Now I wonder if the Model 3 BMS has a DCFC limit like the Model S.. most likely as they're both Li-IOn :oops:

The old DCFC limit was most likely a combination of battery chemistry and BMS management hardware/software that lead to mismanagement of the battery for older Model S's

CHAdeMO, CCS, and Superchargers all deliver direct DC power just using different communication protocols.