TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Anyone Tried Solar Trickle Charging 12v Battery?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by richardw0000, May 3, 2016.

1. richardw0000

richardw0000 Member

Hi everyone,
    I'm thinking that maybe it is possible to reduce the vampire load by using one of those solar panels you can get for a car to trickle charge the 12v battery. They cannot be left plugged in while a traditional car is running. I know it is fairly easy to mitigate this with a relay in a typical car, but how might this affect the Tesla 12v system? I would like to be able to extend the life of the 12v battery by reducing the cycling on it.

Apologies if this has been discussed before. A forum search did not turn up anything.

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

I don't see there's much point to it. The 12V battery now lasts much longer than the initial ones did.

3. brkaus

brkaus Member

If they can't be plugged in when a ice is running, they also shouldn't be used on a tesla when it the dc to dc is on. That would be while running or when it kicks in to recharge the 12v while sitting.

4. richardw0000

richardw0000 Member

I was looking for someone who has a little expertise on the electrical system of the car. I'm thinking a simple diode isolation will protect the solar panel, and a relay tied to a 12v circuit that open when the DC-DC converter comes on would protect the DC-DC converter.