Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tried the "Active Exhaust" systems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Baffles me how negative the general Tesla community is against modifying their cars. The amount of negative comments on almost every post of a modified Model 3 over on the various Tesla subreddits is crazy. Here in Norway they're so abundant that it's a boring car design-wise since everyone and their grandmother owns one. Much cooler if someone has personalized it (though the range of spoilers, front or back, leaves something to be desired...).

I'd consider one of these systems if they let you modify the sound completely. As it stands they sound a bit too hollow. I'd like the sound of my Taycan in my Model 3P.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
Baffles me how negative the general Tesla community is against modifying their cars. The amount of negative comments on almost every post of a modified Model 3 over on the various Tesla subreddits is crazy. Here in Norway they're so abundant that it's a boring car design-wise since everyone and their grandmother owns one. Much cooler if someone has personalized it (though the range of spoilers, front or back, leaves something to be desired...).

I'd consider one of these systems if they let you modify the sound completely. As it stands they sound a bit too hollow. I'd like the sound of my Taycan in my Model 3P.
Don't be concerned with others comments, It's your Money and your Car, Do as you wish. But people will give their opinions. You don't need anyone's approval of your modifications. I have a few mods myself, but there's no way I'm adding fake sounds to my mostly silent stealth machine. Just my personal preference.

Who knew Norwegians were so rad?!? Given how many there are there, and the minimal color choices, I would most definitely opt for a vinyl wrap to differentiate it.

I’m in Oslo right now and was quite surprised to see that Teslas are fairly uncommon here, maybe 1 out of every 50 or 100 cars. Quite surprising considering Norway’s amazing statistics of 65-85% of all new cars being BEV for so many consecutive years now.

In California only a few percent of all new car sales are BEV, yet in many places there’s at least one Tesla for every 5 or 10 cars on the road. I often look around and can’t see any non-Teslas, driving or parked.

Regardless, I don’t see how this is going to differentiate your gray Tesla from all the other gray Teslas. Though it would certainly arouse a chuckle from anyone who did notice. Or perhaps a fit of laughter so intense and uncontrollable that they fall to the ground in pain.

I think it makes complete sense to offer the customer the possibility to select a driving sound according to his or her liking.
As we all know Tecla's make no sound so why not give the option to have an interesting sound when feeling the urge for it.
It is actually a big advantage compared to a gas car as you can turn it on and off whenever you want or change the sound.
I mean we do the same with the radio or?
I remember 40yrs ago, taking the Magic Bus from London to Athens for 10pounds, and in Greece the vehicles had these sound generators, which could make a whole host of sounds; though not the exhaust type sound. I suppose they were used in place of a horn sound, but they used them all the time, almost as a form of communication. At first was quite funny, then became rather annoying since they used them all the time.

Ironically, I read a review of the new performance Ioniq dropping soon that apparently uses simulated engine noise inside the cabin. The reviewer highlights it as a key part of what makes driving that car so enjoyable. I'm interested in something similar mainly to mask some of the more unpleasant road/wind noise I'm hearing in my MSP that is frankly quite annoying and particularly in a car I paid a shite ton of money for. I don't particularly care if anyone hears it outside and would love to be able to limit the sound to the cabin of the car. You are spot on though - not a lot of love for modifications of any kind in these forums.

Reactions: CCopperpot
Everyone talking about the soul of a car being expressed by the sound of the exhaust: you attach too much of your ego to your car.

The rest of us just shake our head as you drive by. You think your all hot sh--, but you're just silly.

When I was 14 I still got off on the cool sound of a V12, woo hoo. But then I grew up.

It's exactly like a dog pissing on a tree to mark their territory. You're just telling the world you have so low self esteem that the only way you can feel important is by farting out your dominance of the soundscape of the space around you as you drive by. Lame.

My favorite story is about my daughters (divorced) friend's dad who sold his Plaid and bought some 100k+ 2 seater Audi, ONLY because the Tesla was too quiet driving down the road, and didn't turn enough heads.

He built a custom lake house with a garage at street level, with glass doors and indirect lighting, so everyone could see his cool car as they drove by.

I'm sure you would all get on famously. Don't get me started about his boat and its sound system.

Here's a tip: all this noise pollution is the opposite of cool. Just sayin.

Everyone talking about the soul of a car being expressed by the sound of the exhaust: you attach too much of your ego to your car.

The rest of us just shake our head as you drive by. You think your all hot sh--, but you're just silly.

When I was 14 I still got off on the cool sound of a V12, woo hoo. But then I grew up.

It's exactly like a dog pissing on a tree to mark their territory. You're just telling the world you have so low self esteem that the only way you can feel important is by farting out your dominance of the soundscape of the space around you as you drive by. Lame.

My favorite story is about my daughters (divorced) friend's dad who sold his Plaid and bought some 100k+ 2 seater Audi, ONLY because the Tesla was too quiet driving down the road, and didn't turn enough heads.

He built a custom lake house with a garage at street level, with glass doors and indirect lighting, so everyone could see his cool car as they drove by.

I'm sure you would all get on famously. Don't get me started about his boat and its sound system.

Here's a tip: all this noise pollution is the opposite of cool. Just sayin.

Cool story, grandpa.