Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tried the "Active Exhaust" systems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the video says, "It's so dumb, it's funny"

Maybe for those that don't have the pedestrian warning speaker this could be a good substitute. The sound of a hungry lion played through those mufflers might work well to get the attention of people who like to saunter in the middle of the roadway in parking lots. Should I get this or the aah-ooo-gah horn?

you guys are making me re-think my idea of setting up boombox with the sound of a 737 on takeoff engine spool up.
Hey, that would sound way cool :).

And I meant the car sound like a V8 engine while driving, like if you were shifting gears, etc. But I think you can only make the car do those sounds while stationary, correct? My daughter had a laugh with the 'La Cucaracha' horn. Ha ha. Didn't try to leave it on and test it while driving though.

Yes, it’s a rather absurd idea, possibly tasteless depending on your view, but there is definitely some desire for this. Even Porsche realized that their customer base of motorheads are accustom to having some auditory feedback and included really nice (and more refined) sound track on their Taycan Turbo S

Porsche’s sound is sampled from the actual electric motor then amplified, adding a bit of ”authenticity“ to it’s value.

Here’s another video. Pretty good demo.
(Cost is about $2k single, $3k double as in the video.)

Even worse... my new Mercedes Benz SL came with this system installed from the factory. At first it kinda worked its magic... certainly sounded impressive, even with a startup "fart". Then I discovered this mysterious stainless steel sphere in the sub trunk with an "exhaust port" aimed at the road below and traced the wires to a small amp on the side and ... OMG it's all fake, and it came that way from the factory. What will they think of, next... maybe adding electric car sounds to a quiet gas car.

I don't mind these products, in fact I think adding some sound back to the EVs would do well for folks (like myself) who really miss the pomp and circumstance that came from an I6, V8/10/12.

That said, I wouldn't want my EV to sound....like an ICE. If I want a V8, I'll buy a M5 or an E63. Because fake shifting noises on an EV are just kinda....lame.

For an EV, I'd want some cool space-y type sounds like the Taycan offers, and that make more sense with an EV. And I dont think that exists with any of these systems.

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt