Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tried the "Active Exhaust" systems?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, bring ice cream. And swing by my house.
You got it.
tenor.gif

FYI -

I messaged the Milltek folks who make this system, they said that they plan to release 'sci-fi' type sounds next month for this system, so it'd at least sound more aligned with EV-esque noises........not a V8 which sounds totally out of place.

The downside is that they're basically just releasing additional sound files, so it will still "shift" like a vehicle with a transmission. I'm not a huge fan of that.

I think they're trying to avoid a re-design (since they use this system in ICE vehicles as well....to make a 4 banger sound like a V10), but we'll see what it ends up sounding like.

Sounds like you'll also be able to set it to fade out at certain speeds, so this could be useful as a pedestrian warning for earlier models that don't have that built in.

MANY years ago I had a device that plugged in to the cigarette lighter, transmitted to your fm radio, and listened for the very minute altenator noise on the electrical buss. It used that to generate the sound of a powerful engine revving in sync. You could choose a V8, V10 or V12. It was silly but worked very well.

Many of you complaining about an EV car making ICE sounds obviously don't know much about car enthusiasts. Cars have had these engine sound mods/amplifiers and fake engine noise for years! BMW i8 comes with the Milltek standard. So do some Mercedes. I personally spent a lot of money adding exhaust and headers to my BMW M6 so that it would have a deeper more throaty sound to its V10 engine! There was also an exhaust that had amplified sound that was electronically controlled so you could switch it off if you wanted to drive more quietly. These systems are better than the boombox because they are hooked up to your throttle so the sounds change depending on the speed at which you are moving. I think the Milltek one even starts up automatically as soon as you touch the door handle.
On a side note, there is a new engine sound system coming out that has futuristic sounds.

New one with futuristic space sounds coming out

It would be great if ScanMyTesla or tes•LAX would add a feature to generate an EV sound. The Glydsphere looks promising, but it's not using any of the CAN data available, which is a missed opportunity.

I'd use this at the track for in-cabin sound, to help my brain more easily register the speed and help with getting the right entry speed into corners.

Reactions: father_of_6
It would be great if ScanMyTesla or tes•LAX would add a feature to generate an EV sound. The Glydsphere looks promising, but it's not using any of the CAN data available, which is a missed opportunity.

I'd use this at the track for in-cabin sound, to help my brain more easily register the speed and help with getting the right entry speed into corners.

This. In-cabin sound. Then drivers can hear them without disrupting neighborhoods. With ICE cars, you typically have to pay for this sound either by purchasing an expensive sports car or via aftermarket add-ons.

With the transition to EV, if every new car has loud external faux engine noise, it'll be a real shame. Manufacture silent cars, then artificially make them louder than the previously loud cars. Sheesh.

My M6 was loud, not obnoxiously loud, but it was loud. However, it was a "clean" soul string sound. My neighbors were all successful persons who were well established or retired and I had several stop me to comment on how good the car sounded. These little impromptu meetings led to great conversations and me getting to know my neighbors more. Several of us even got together and went to "cars and coffee". So in sum, I wouldn't say all ICE sounds are bad or deemed a disturbance to neighbors, it depends on how tastefully it's done.

I have a pair of exhausts installed on my model 3. It's so stupid it's funny. The app isn't the most reliable and the exhaust shift times are even more stupid. Its not a sexy sounding exhaust by any means. I only turn it on to troll people and its happen a total of 3 times. I'll sell it to you. It would be much better if there was an actual physical button to turn it on rather than grabbing my phone, turning on the app, configuring the settings and volume just to troll someone for 10 seconds.

Many of you complaining about an EV car making ICE sounds obviously don't know much about car enthusiasts. Cars have had these engine sound mods/amplifiers and fake engine noise for years! BMW i8 comes with the Milltek standard. So do some Mercedes. I personally spent a lot of money adding exhaust and headers to my BMW M6 so that it would have a deeper more throaty sound to its V10 engine! There was also an exhaust that had amplified sound that was electronically controlled so you could switch it off if you wanted to drive more quietly. These systems are better than the boombox because they are hooked up to your throttle so the sounds change depending on the speed at which you are moving. I think the Milltek one even starts up automatically as soon as you touch the door handle.
On a side note, there is a new engine sound system coming out that has futuristic sounds.

New one with futuristic space sounds coming out
I paid $$ for an Akrapovic exhaust on my X3MC because it sounds much better but that's more to improve the sound of an existing exhaust. It seems kind of silly to add ICE exhaust noise to a vehicle that doesn't have an engine. What's next? A fake manual shifter mod for the console so you can pretend you are rowing through gears on your EV?

Reactions: whiskeylover
I paid $$ for an Akrapovic exhaust on my X3MC because it sounds much better but that's more to improve the sound of an existing exhaust. It seems kind of silly to add ICE exhaust noise to a vehicle that doesn't have an engine. What's next? A fake manual shifter mod for the console so you can pretend you are rowing through gears on your EV?

*cough*

Demo video:

(Seriously though ... one of the best things about an EV future is reducing the noise pollution. Why add it back?)
Agreed! Who wants to sound like a DB11. Also, we would not be able to hear the cries and bone crunching of the pedestrians who step into our path without looking or rather hearing our approach. Happens all the time when I cycle and also during Tesla test drives. Now, where is that horn button......