Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

anyone tried to add weight (i.e. sand bag) in the trunk to improve traction for rwd model3 in snow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello all,

I had an episode of getting stuck in snow past weekend in snow storm. Same as small number of model3 rwd owners here. Seems like it is possible for rwd model3 to get in stuck in heavy snow and icy situation despite the electronic traction control being very good.

I know some ICE rwd driver add more weight to the trunk to improve traction. But I wonder if adding more weight to rwd model3 will improve traction just like ICE cars?

anyone here actually tried to add more weight to the trunk using sand bag or other heavy items to improve traction of rwd model 3? If so, how much more weight did you add to get the benefit of traction without losing any range? Would add weight in the storage room below trunk floor be a good idea ?

hello all,

I had an episode of getting stuck in snow past weekend in snow storm. Same as small number of model3 rwd owners here. Seems like it is possible for rwd model3 to get in stuck in heavy snow and icy situation despite the electronic traction control being very good.

I know some ICE rwd driver add more weight to the trunk to improve traction. But I wonder if adding more weight to rwd model3 will improve traction just like ICE cars?

anyone here actually tried to add more weight to the trunk using sand bag or other heavy items to improve traction of rwd model 3? If so, how much more weight did you add to get the benefit of traction without losing any range? Would add weight in the storage room below trunk floor be a good idea ?

This technique used to be employed in ICE vehicles because weight distribution was uneven due to the giant engine sitting under the hood.

Your Tesla does not have that. It also has traction and stability control.

If you feel traction is an issue, get snow tires as others have recommended.

• Disagree
Reactions: newsletter
Don't know about the Model 3, but in the Model S RWD, the battery puts more weight on the rear than any sandbag ever would. My question is: Did you install good winter tires, or are you just running with the OE tires. If it's the latter--that's the problem.

If you're talking about snow in GTA over this weekend then it may just be too deep snow (piled in corners) that are bottoming out the car. I saw quite a number of FWD Corollas, Hondas and other small cars having difficulty in corners and come off back streets. Don't believe extra weight will help when parts of the car are bottoming out on snow banks.

hello all,

There is already a lot of weight in the car, called the battery.

If you can't move, then I'm guessing that the car has slid up on snow.

• Informative
Reactions: 2012MS85
Nokian Hakkapelliita R3s are just about the best snow tire there is, so getting better tires is not an option here

I think sand bags are not a great idea. In the past without stability control they were dangerous and would make cars fishtail happy. Now they are probably just bad for your range. The car is heavy and the weight is center so I would think there's enough weight on the back. You might have hit a pure ice patch. I almost got stuck in a Subaru a few years ago, ice on both wheels on one side. Without limited slip diffs it was hard to move.