Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tried to DIY install homelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this “new” homelink unit on eBay and got it for $100 shipped. Got it today and it does look like new.

Anyone tried to diy install? I know I need the service center to activate it. They previously gave me $300 gift card for service so I should be good with that. Hardware wise it seems to be just one plug and then bolt it on. Any experiences?

1DF3E62B-32A2-4004-B557-52962266D618.jpeg

I think that's the same seller I was recently talking to on eBay. Was trying to find one still sealed in box with stickers.

If you buy from Tesla it comes in a box with stickers all over it say do not open this, schedule an appt on the app. Stickers also state opening the box voids the included installation.

There are cheap used, salvage, and "new" homelink all day long.

The hardware can be installed by anyone qualified but it's not simple. The unit needs to be activate by service however.

I've never found anyone that bought one off eBay, esp open box, that got Tesla to install for free, or activate. Will service activate if you install yourself. Don't know. But at what price?

I would have just paid $300. Had them come out and install and activate.

Here's the install process. Takes a lot of work and two hours if you know what your doing.

I bought it off of ebay for $100 so I'm all on my own for install. Tesla won't touch it. I read here or somewhere else that service centers charge 1/2 hr to program/activate it but I'm not sure.

Hope your handy with cars. Watch the video you have to take a LOT apart of the car to get to it. For the extra $200 not worth the hassle unless you like that kind of thing.

I think that's the same seller I was recently talking to on eBay. Was trying to find one still sealed in box with stickers.

If you buy from Tesla it comes in a box with stickers all over it say do not open this, schedule an appt on the app. Stickers also state opening the box voids the included installation.

There are cheap used, salvage, and "new" homelink all day long.

The hardware can be installed by anyone qualified but it's not simple. The unit needs to be activate by service however.

I've never found anyone that bought one off eBay, esp open box, that got Tesla to install for free, or activate. Will service activate if you install yourself. Don't know. But at what price?

I would have just paid $300. Had them come out and install and activate.

Here's the install process. Takes a lot of work and two hours if you know what your doing.

Maybe its the same seller. I saw it listed for $100 with option to make offer. I put $85 thinking what the hell. Next morning I got email saying they accepted the offer.

Unfortunately that video doesn't show the disassembly and reassembly of the car itself. The video of the 3 I posted took a service tech 2 hrs and required removal of the bumper and frunk liner. I haven't seen one of the Y but would think it would be similar in complexity.

Unfortunately that video doesn't show the disassembly and reassembly of the car itself. The video of the 3 I posted took a service tech 2 hrs and required removal of the bumper and frunk liner. I haven't seen one of the Y but would think it would be similar in complexity.

the Y is different, it took the tech about 20 minutes to install mine. All that is removed is the maintenance panel and the tub for the frunk.

Hope your handy with cars. Watch the video you have to take a LOT apart of the car to get to it. For the extra $200 not worth the hassle unless you like that kind of thing.
It’s actually pretty easy taking the frunk apart and front bumper off. About 20 min to do so, had to take my bumper off to fix my fender that stuck out that Tesla couldn’t fix.

I bought a sealed one off someone here at TMC and the tech had to do a software install to activate the homelink module. I also asked the tech if he cared if it was opened or not and he responded that he did not but others may.

I'm just worried tesla would not program the homelink. I read posts of both sides, service center charging 1/2 hr of labor to program, or refusing to do it at all. I'd appreciate any feedback. thanks

found another video showing how simple it is for the Y.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ormond
That's been my fear since I considered the cheaper eBay option.

Esp when placing order with Tesla it states:
"Do not tamper with the package or installation will be voided. When scheduling, please include your order# in the appointment description."

The Y is not like the 3 for this. Just had a tech install mine today, just need to take out the frunk and it's cover, you don't need to mess with the bumper at all. The software update actually took longer than the hardware install. Less than 15 minutes to install the hardware, about 20-30 minutes for the firmware/software update.

small update - the hardware installation part was really easy. 30 minutes tops with 20 minutes trying to screw in the special-headed bolt from the back side. The bolt is not a standard hex head but in a rounded 6-point-star shape. Luckily a 9mm socket kind of worked and i had to contort to reach into the back but I got it in and secured. The tub simply lifts up and out after removing five 10mm bolts exposing where the mounting bracket would go. No need to remove the bumper.

I requested service in the app under "software" and asked them to add/program/activate homelink software with a picture of the installed module. Now I wait and see if they keep that 10/2 mobile service date.

Attachments

• IMG_1979.JPG
    IMG_1979.JPG
    432.8 KB · Views: 709
  • IMG_1980.JPG
    IMG_1980.JPG
    549.3 KB · Views: 557
  • IMG_1983.JPG
    IMG_1983.JPG
    466 KB · Views: 736