Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone tried to DIY install homelink?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw this “new” homelink unit on eBay and got it for $100 shipped. Got it today and it does look like new.

Anyone tried to diy install? I know I need the service center to activate it. They previously gave me $300 gift card for service so I should be good with that. Hardware wise it seems to be just one plug and then bolt it on. Any experiences?

View attachment 591882

I did DiY, then paid $97 for 1/2 labor rate at my local SC to load/activate the software.

Homelink

I did DiY, then paid $97 for 1/2 labor rate at my local SC to load/activate the software.

Homelink

The installation itself was super easy. How did you get the SC to load the software? Did you do it thru the app? I just got a text from Tesla asking if I purchased the homelink module from their website. I replied NO. I thought I read somewhere that some SC refuse to install the software unless the whole set up was purchased directly from Tesla...

small update #2 - someone from tesla just called wanting to verify the part number of the module I installed. After confirming, he set up the mobile service next week to install the software. However, there is a fee of *up to* $197 per Tesla for this work. It will come out of a credit I have at service center. So in the end this will cost me $100 out of pocket. If I didn't have a credit with them or got a module for $100 then it is totally not worth it to DIY.

$100 out of pocket, yes. But that $197 is an opportunity cost that in a future service you'll have to pay the $197 out of pocket.

Net effect is still $300 you would have paid buying direct.

Hopefully they don't charge $197 in which case you came out ahead.

small update #2 - someone from tesla just called wanting to verify the part number of the module I installed. After confirming, he set up the mobile service next week to install the software. However, there is a fee of *up to* $197 per Tesla for this work. It will come out of a credit I have at service center. So in the end this will cost me $100 out of pocket. If I didn't have a credit with them or got a module for $100 then it is totally not worth it to DIY.

Yup. I had to take my Y to the service center at the time because it was not available via the online store and the Service Centers were not even aware if it will work. They attempted to load the software, and told me that If I will be charge full 1 hour labor rate if it go over 1 hour. Luckily it took them only 45 minutes to push/load the software. I was charged 1/2 hr labor rate total $97.

Congrats !

You scored a real deal.

Of course now I’m paranoid about getting it since I read a post from a brand new Model X owner who had it crushed and the garage door broke due to issue with homelink operation; and subsequent posts from others.

Hmmm

Last edited:
Final update - Mobile Tech just came and programmed the homelink and did not charge me anything. Nothing out of pocket and nothing out of my credit at the service center. Invoice has a $0 total.

The actual programming part went smoothly but did take about 45 minutes from when he showed up to when he left.
Who did you purchase from on ebay.

Literally did this with our 2020 Y. Just finished installing it in our 2021. Tesla is coming out tomorrow for another issue. Going to see if they will update the software for it.
Does that leave your 2020 Y in a broken state where it won't be able to apply software updates because the Homelink module is missing? Or are you planning on getting them to update it's configuration as well?

That's what I've been wondering as well.

For people who are trading in to Tesla it's a non issue. But for people selling or keeping the car what happens when the software knows it was installed and activated but the hardware was moved to another car.

I will say most of these videos stating 1-2hrs of work (by Tesla Service) sounds like the service rep doesn't know what they're doing. I took mine in earlier this week for the homelink install and was in & out in less than 30 minutes, works flawlessly for me.

I will say most of these videos stating 1-2hrs of work (by Tesla Service) sounds like the service rep doesn't know what they're doing. I took mine in earlier this week for the homelink install and was in & out in less than 30 minutes, works flawlessly for me.

When they first started doing them it did take hours and was quite involved. Now that they've had time to do a number and found the tricks it's a lot faster,

Reactions: labmixz
That's what I've been wondering as well.

For people who are trading in to Tesla it's a non issue. But for people selling or keeping the car what happens when the software knows it was installed and activated but the hardware was moved to another car.

In March 2020, I removed the HomeLink module off my 2018 Model 3 - the car functioned ok (no error/warning), just no HL function.

I replaced the HL module of this Model 3 with one I got from a 2019 Model X (same HL module part number). The HL function worked without issue, just reprogramming the garage opener ( Chamberlain). This was to test if it will work for my Model Y (March 2020).

I then placed the HL module (from the 2018 Model 3) in my Mar 2020 Model Y.
Tesla updated the software ( I paid 0.5 hr labor cost).

It has since worked without issues on both cars.

In March 2020, I removed the HomeLink module off my 2018 Model 3 - the car functioned ok (no error/warning), just no HL function.

I replaced the HL module of this Model 3 with one I got from a 2019 Model X (same HL module part number). The HL function worked without issue, just reprogramming the garage opener ( Chamberlain). This was to test if it will work for my Model Y (March 2020).

I then placed the HL module (from the 2018 Model 3) in my Mar 2020 Model Y.
Tesla updated the software ( I paid 0.5 hr labor cost).

It has since worked without issues on both cars.
How do you uninstall it from the model 3? Took my frunk liner off and couldn't find it for the life of me.