Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone try B.A Design works speakers/sub upgrades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cone looks like a light harmonic speaker although the frame looking from the back does not. Anyone care to be a guinea pig? That's a reasonable price if it improves on the stock speakers.

I'd be concerned about the relationship between badesignworks and LightHarmonic. LightHarmonic never was able to get me a working amp and stopped responding to all of my attempts to contact them. They took $1450 from me and did not deliver a working system.

From what I can see, the phone number for badesignworks is in the same city as LightHarmonic (Roseville, CA). In looking at the Contact Us / "Meet the Team" page, at least two of the three team members were prominently featured in LightHarmonic's YouTube videos:

badesignworks

I just ordered the B.A. Designworks ultimate kit to upgrade the standard (non-UHFS) audio system in my Model S 75D
  • $995
  • 4 door speakers
  • Rockford Fosgate P1 Punch 10" sub
  • Rockford Fosgate r500x1d amp
  • Wiring/install kit
I tried the Light Harmonic S4D door speakers and they were a definite improvement, but not $1k worth better than the standard audio, especially without a sub being included. For the same price, getting the "same" speakers plus sub is a no-brainer.

I also added some Armaflex 1/2" pipe foam (6' piece from Home Depot for $6) in the front doors around the speaker and in the port holes on front and rear doors as described in this post and it did make a small improvement to the stock speakers.

I will update once I install and try out the new kit. Hoping this is the ultimate way to go vs the $2500 UHFS upgrade (now bundled with the premium package for much more).

I just ordered the B.A. Designworks ultimate kit to upgrade the standard (non-UHFS) audio system in my Model S 75D
  • $995
  • 4 door speakers
  • Rockford Fosgate P1 Punch 10" sub
  • Rockford Fosgate r500x1d amp
  • Wiring/install kit
I tried the Light Harmonic S4D door speakers and they were a definite improvement, but not $1k worth better than the standard audio, especially without a sub being included. For the same price, getting the "same" speakers plus sub is a no-brainer.

I also added some Armaflex 1/2" pipe foam (6' piece from Home Depot for $6) in the front doors around the speaker and in the port holes on front and rear doors as described in this post and it did make a small improvement to the stock speakers.

I will update once I install and try out the new kit. Hoping this is the ultimate way to go vs the $2500 UHFS upgrade (now bundled with the premium package for much more).
Interesting ... does the Speaker/Sub/Amp kit work with both the standard audio and UHFS audio from Tesla?

Interesting ... does the Speaker/Sub/Amp kit work with both the standard audio and UHFS audio from Tesla?
Definitely for the standard audio. The premium UHFS system has 8" speakers in the front doors (vs 6"), so would be a downgrade. Plus the UHFS system has 2 amps (1 behind the head console and 1 to left of steering column) to drive the extra speakers and sub, so the amp that comes with the kit is not really useful. I think changing out the speakers and the sub if you choose might be the better way to go. This system seems designed for the standard audio. Check out the site and contact the guys for info on UHFS applicability.

Definitely for the standard audio. The premium UHFS system has 8" speakers in the front doors (vs 6"), so would be a downgrade. Plus the UHFS system has 2 amps (1 behind the head console and 1 to left of steering column) to drive the extra speakers and sub, so the amp that comes with the kit is not really useful. I think changing out the speakers and the sub if you choose might be the better way to go. This system seems designed for the standard audio. Check out the site and contact the guys for info on UHFS applicability.
Thanks for the clarification ... I have the standard audio system, so this would be an upgrade.
Can you take a few photos of the installation process and your evaluation of the sound quality?

Those speakers look exactly like the Light Harmonic ones.
Accidental or LH being rebranded after they shot themselves in the foot due to the frustrated customer experience?
One of the design engineers from LH is one of the owners of the new company. He designed both products, hence their similarity. The new ones are slightly improved they say.

I have to say, they look just like Light Harmonics. I have the LH and I love it actually! The LH amp specs are considerably better as well as the fact that it's tied right into the existing wiring and works on door speakers as well as the sub.
Both companies are in the 916, so I suspect they are one in the same.
In case anyone is interested, I have a spare brand new LH amp I never installed because it was intended for my wife's MX, but it turned out the wiring is different. I kept it as a spare in case the one in my MS has issues. It never did, and I fricken love it.
Here's a link to it Brand New never installed Light Harmonic Amp
Keep in mind my amp will only work on UHFS cars only.

LH has an address in Berkeley so I drove there but it is just an office building contains many outfits. It has been a few months but as I recall they say that the products should only be installed by a professional. I was not about to try to park and find their office so I called and left a message asking for a recommendation on an installer. Got no call back so I won’t be buying anything from them.

• Informative
Reactions: FlatSix911
I am getting the sub / amp package installed Friday 2/9 I live near them so they are installing - I will review when it is done. Looks like a custom fiber enclosure Punch sub and Rockford Fosgate amp. I have a 2017S with base stereo and it needs more power and bass. I like the components and price is right.

Reactions: jcdenton40