Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone try B.A Design works speakers/sub upgrades?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LINK TO LH AMP?

I don't get why people are still buying in to replacing the door speakers in the MS. They don't add much, if anything, to the sound stage that the stock speakers don't already provide. Replacing the stock sub with a SoundQubed sub, which is a drop in replacement, is a huge bang for the buck. The biggest bang for the buck is replacing the stock UHFS amp with the LH amp (or similar) ... what the UHFS lacks is power and bass. Adding those two things will increase the UHFS to the level it SHOULD have been from the factory. Replacing the door speakers does about jack all for sound.

This BA system for the Amp/Sub looks like it's going about the situation in the hardest way imaginable for no particular reason. Do yourself a favor and save your money: Buy a LH amp, which is a plug and play install, and a SoundQubed sub, which is a drop in replacement, and you're golden.

If you hear a "night and day" difference after installing door speakers, I have some wooden knobs and ceramic wire elevators to sell you. They will REALLY give you a lot of punch and creamy smooth sound.

Just a word of warning: After considering all the options for my recently purchased CPO 2014 Model S, I ordered the BA Designs ultimate kit (4 door speakers and sub) over the weekend. I happened to look on their website this morning and they have ceased doing business from today onwards. I was probably the last order they took. I called and was told they will still fulfill my order. When I asked about support/warranty etc it sounded as if they will be available for support for "another couple of months" which didn't sound promising...

Just a word of warning: After considering all the options for my recently purchased CPO 2014 Model S, I ordered the BA Designs ultimate kit (4 door speakers and sub) over the weekend. I happened to look on their website this morning and they have ceased doing business from today onwards. I was probably the last order they took. I called and was told they will still fulfill my order. When I asked about support/warranty etc it sounded as if they will be available for support for "another couple of months" which didn't sound promising...
That’s a surprise.

I previously ordered the 4 door kit (just the door speakers). They do not fit my Nov. 16 build MS. The speakers are significantly thicker and do not allow the door panel to fully clip back to the door when these are installed.

I sent pictures to BA through email and I continually received no response to emails. I called and once out of ten calls I actually talked to someone who agreed to send me a new set. He was really nice and actually did send an additional set. Exact same issue with the new set. I reported this to them again, no response. There was supposed to be a label to ship the original set back. No label included. I now have two sets of these sitting here and no use for them. I am not inclined to change or adjust the door panels to accommodate these.

I finally today did a credit card dispute because I didn't know what else to do. I will happily return these to them, but I can't get a response.
kS4HncK1QvW1wp%B8SP5IA.jpg
fullsizeoutput_eae.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_eaf.jpeg

I'd like to think this is just an anomaly with fitment in my particular version of the car. But I am guessing these are either design issues or perhaps a bad manufacturing job from China.

Photos show what I am talking about. I am very disappointed and I spent too much time disassembling my doors twice for this...

Pic 1: Thickness in speaker size is notably different (thicker) from stock
Pic 2: Red circle shows where the the speaker thickness does not allow the door panel to fully reseat with the clips, this is the pressure point
Pic 3: This is the resultant panel gap at one of my two rear doors

I sincerely hope your experience is better.

I previously ordered the 4 door kit (just the door speakers). They do not fit my Nov. 16 build MS. The speakers are significantly thicker and do not allow the door panel to fully clip back to the door when these are installed.

I sent pictures to BA through email and I continually received no response to emails. I called and once out of ten calls I actually talked to someone who agreed to send me a new set. He was really nice and actually did send an additional set. Exact same issue with the new set. I reported this to them again, no response. There was supposed to be a label to ship the original set back. No label included. I now have two sets of these sitting here and no use for them. I am not inclined to change or adjust the door panels to accommodate these.

I finally today did a credit card dispute because I didn't know what else to do. I will happily return these to them, but I can't get a response.View attachment 391107View attachment 391108View attachment 391109

I'd like to think this is just an anomaly with fitment in my particular version of the car. But I am guessing these are either design issues or perhaps a bad manufacturing job from China.

Photos show what I am talking about. I am very disappointed and I spent too much time disassembling my doors twice for this...

Pic 2: Red circle shows where the the speaker thickness does not allow the door panel to fully reseat with the clips, this is the pressure point

Oh God. That sucks. Totally regretting my decision now... Hopefully my 2014 is more forgiving than your 2016...

My friends and I installed in our 3 cars MS 15 and two 17s with no issues with the panels?

I have to assume all of the door panels are the same (?), but I had the exact issue on both sides of my car. That's why I am questioning whether a batch came (from wherever it comes from) out of spec. They're visibly taller than the stock ones. There's no real way to install these improperly, it is four torx bolts. And the panels only go on one way with a good number of clips so it isn't like I can adjust anything. Reinstalling the Tesla stock speakers fixed the issue immediately.

Here are a couple more pics, one with the rear left installed, and one with the bottom of the door panel where it will not meet the metal (it won't clip) because of the pressure point. If anyone can point out something I am missing, I would be excited to be wrong about this. I really want the speaker upgrade.

Attachments

• yIelN1QUT%Gn3ZYChLtjOg.jpg
    yIelN1QUT%Gn3ZYChLtjOg.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 73
  • ycM0YQb9RqOME5cGE2DjTw.jpg
    ycM0YQb9RqOME5cGE2DjTw.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 65
I have to assume all of the door panels are the same (?), but I had the exact issue on both sides of my car. That's why I am questioning whether a batch came (from wherever it comes from) out of spec. They're visibly taller than the stock ones. There's no real way to install these improperly, it is four torx bolts. And the panels only go on one way with a good number of clips so it isn't like I can adjust anything. Reinstalling the Tesla stock speakers fixed the issue immediately.

Here are a couple more pics, one with the rear left installed, and one with the bottom of the door panel where it will not meet the metal (it won't clip) because of the pressure point. If anyone can point out something I am missing, I would be excited to be wrong about this. I really want the speaker upgrade.
Could it be that there's something (wirings/cables) got in the way post installation?

No I don’t think so. Not on two separate sets of speakers in different doors. And I can see the speaker where it hits the panel.
I see.

I wondered what happened.
I am pretty sure they all came from the same specs and, as Bnsfengineer mentioned above, mine was one of those installations and we didn't have any problem such as yours.

I recently had Tesla Mobile came to replace the passenger window regulator and didn't notice anything out of ordinary either.

I finally today did a credit card dispute because I didn't know what else to do. I will happily return these to them, but I can't get a response.View attachment 391107View attachment 391108View attachment 391109

Does anyone know if the 2 set 6.5 size left on their website is the same as the others they removed. I missed the 4 set and ultimate set didn't know if the speakers all fit. Help please?

I received my speakers today and can confirm that the rear door speakers are just a few mm to tall and the bottom of the door card does not sit flush. I managed to install the front ones ok. Sub is being installed on Friday. Might replace the stock rears and call it a day.

I received my speakers today and can confirm that the rear door speakers are just a few mm to tall and the bottom of the door card does not sit flush. I managed to install the front ones ok. Sub is being installed on Friday. Might replace the stock rears and call it a day.
Will the door speakers fit without a kit? The speakers are online but doesn’t include anything?

Will the door speakers fit without a kit? The speakers are online but doesn’t include anything?
The ones I bought were before they stopped making kits so they are already mounted on the correct bracket. If the speakers don't come with anything you'll need a mounting bracket - I believe BA design are uploading their 3D model online so if you have access to a 3D printer you could make it yourself. You'd also need the right connector if they don't have that.

If you are talking about just the speakers, then I suspect you are a shill. There's basically zero difference in the sound stage from the speakers alone in the car.

The sub adds a lot, as does the amp. But you can get the sub for about 1/6th the price from SoundQubed. The only golden piece of the puzzle is the drop in amp from LH. Everything else is either way overpriced (sub) or completely meaningless (speakers).