Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone try Hankook Ventus V12 in 275/30/21 yet on P85+ rear?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A week ago I replaced all for on my factory installed tires after 7 months and 18,000 miles (2014 P85+) with the Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 275/30R21 rear and 245/35R21 in the front. The fronts were at about 50% wear and the rears were showing cord on the inner edge due to the camber setup (see pics). I bought them from Amazon for about $800 for all 4, and had them installed at local shop for $70. I kept the fronts in because they were still good.

I think the ride is better, they are definitely quieter, performance seems the same to me, and I am averaging about 310 wh mile down from 334 from the first 18,000 miles. I drive a pretty standard daily drive so i think the energy savings is right.

At this point i would buy them again, but going to wait and see how long they last and how they continue to perform.

IMG_9919.jpg
IMG_9920.jpg
IMG_9921.jpg
IMG_9922.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_9921.jpg
    IMG_9921.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 651
  • IMG_9922.jpg
    IMG_9922.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 625
I am on my second set of Hankooks and find them to be as good as OEM at half the price. Just make sure you get proper mount/balance/align and rotate regularly. I got about 14k miles out of last set for under $1000 (and probably had 15% left on fronts).

Best,
Cliff (EV Trip Planner - check it out for road trip energy planning)

- - - Updated - - -

By the way: if you're paying $0.10 per kWh for electricity that comes out to about $0.04 per mile on average for juicing the car. The tires cost nearly 2x that much per mile!

I like the idea of 275s on the rear... I didn't even know/consider that option before I traded my 21x9" Turbine rims for 21x8.5" rims so I could mount Hankook 245s on all four corners.

Now I wish I had kept them and done the same 275/245 stagger with the Hankooks.

I am on my second set of Hankooks and find them to be as good as OEM at half the price. Just make sure you get proper mount/balance/align and rotate regularly. I got about 14k miles out of last set for under $1000 (and probably had 15% left on fronts).

Best,
Cliff (EV Trip Planner - check it out for road trip energy planning)

- - - Updated - - -

By the way: if you're paying $0.10 per kWh for electricity that comes out to about $0.04 per mile on average for juicing the car. The tires cost nearly 2x that much per mile!
You only got 14k out of your tires? You must be tracking a little bit?? :) I'm have 23.5k miles on my Contis and almost at the wear bars... will probably buy a new set around Xmas or New Year

Very interesting. I didn't realize that I could use other tires sizes other than the 265/35/R21 for the staggers rears. So could someone list a range of tire sizes I could use on the staggard rear rims on my soon to be delivered P85D?

Very interesting. I didn't realize that I could use other tires sizes other than the 265/35/R21 for the staggers rears. So could someone list a range of tire sizes I could use on the staggard rear rims on my soon to be delivered P85D?

It depends on the specific tire. Take a look at this page for the Hankook evo2s.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+V12+evo2

click "specs" and then look in the "Rim Width Range" column for your size rims. If you have a P85 with 8.5" rims, looks like you can go up to 255s for this specific tire. May vary for other tires, wheel sizes, profile, etc.

see also: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=198

I had Ventus V12s replace new'ish Pilot Sport Cups, and found them very gentle on the road (19's on a Porsche). Honestly, I wouldn't worry about a relatively quiet ride and good wear life. To me, they seemed less of a sports tire, with the way they turn-in less firmly. I bet Ventus work great on Tesla 21's, for these reasons. You don't get much sidewall flex from a 21, anyway. Just a nice quiet tire option. Lots of Corvette and Porsche owners have smoothed out that larger wheel ride, with these.

There are perhaps many more options than are known, but general rules are if it doesn't rub, and the front/rear diameter stays real close, you can mix and match. Tirerack can tell you the limits on a 9" (265?). The actual tire matters, too, as has been found with PS2, etc, running 1" wider than Conti, despite same 245mm specs. So, when you get near the size limit, you might find other maker's tires won't work, or might rub. It gets more tricky with different diameters, because 45, or 45%, of rising width numbers begins to potentially affect traction control. I haven't seen a Tesla thread where people assess the threshold diameter % difference you can keep on this car. So, if you find that perfect "285/35" to mate with standard fronts, be aware the TC might drive around believing you are slipping all the time. Otherwise, come back and share that it felt like no problem. I should say this type of experimenting wears a "Don't try this at home" disclaimer, as your traction control system will ultimately engage when wheel diameters get far enough apart. Far could be 5%. It could be 3.5%. Just be aware the car might engage stability control, or TC, sooner.

I put Hankooks on a previous car. You get what you pay for. Needed two of them to be rotated a couple of times to get the load force to be balanced accurately.
It depends on the specific tire. Take a look at this page for the Hankook evo2s.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Ventus+V12+evo2

click "specs" and then look in the "Rim Width Range" column for your size rims. If you have a P85 with 8.5" rims, looks like you can go up to 255s for this specific tire. May vary for other tires, wheel sizes, profile, etc.

see also: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=198

A week ago I replaced all for on my factory installed tires after 7 months and 18,000 miles (2014 P85+) with the Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 275/30R21 rear and 245/35R21 in the front. The fronts were at about 50% wear and the rears were showing cord on the inner edge due to the camber setup (see pics). I bought them from Amazon for about $800 for all 4, and had them installed at local shop for $70. I kept the fronts in because they were still good.

I think the ride is better, they are definitely quieter, performance seems the same to me, and I am averaging about 310 wh mile down from 334 from the first 18,000 miles. I drive a pretty standard daily drive so i think the energy savings is right.

At this point i would buy them again, but going to wait and see how long they last and how they continue to perform.

View attachment 65721View attachment 65722View attachment 65723View attachment 65724
Judging by those pictures you are in desperate need of a proper alignment. That kind of wear pattern is not normal!