Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone try Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I performed a search and didn’t find any discussions, so I thought I’d start one to find out if anyone has an opinion on Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II tires. Our Model X rear tires are looking like they’re about at the end (especially the inside edge), so I’m looking around to see what options are out there in the 275/45R20 size and these seem to be quite well thought of on Tire Rack and America’s Tire.

So, anyone have any experience with them? Priorities are a quiet, efficient ride with reasonable grip and wear.

Tire Rack link:

I have them on a Caddy SRX (not the same as an X, and have X on order to replace the Caddy right now). I like them. On the Caddy, they are quiet and do pretty good on snow. Not as good as Hakkepillita R3 SUVs but still pretty decent for Northern Wisconsin. See you are in Sunny CA, so snow is not an issue. Rain performance on the Caddy is good.

So... How are they on a Tesla? Don't know. Requirements are different, as efficiency is more important than on an ICE Caddy. And the X I test drove (2020 Performance with 22s) had WAY more road noise than the Caddy on the same road, so tire noise level is important. Maybe others have used on an X, as I would be interested to know there as I would buy again for the Caddy.

I have previously run them on my Lexus RX450h hybrid, also known to eat tires with its regen braking, I thought they wore well but fast didn’t finish my comparison to Michelin’s before I sold it to pick up my X.

I put them on my 2019 Raven LR X at about 22,000 miles back in December as the OEM Contis got chewed up with this heavy vehicle and a white knuckle drive after the fist snow compelled me to replace them. The Verdes seem just as quiet, no appreciable impact on range, handled confidently in subsequent snow/ice events this past winter, and in 3500 miles seem to have worn well to date.

The only “con“ to these is that the fronts are only ”H” speed rated and not to Tesla spec. That really isn’t a problem as it’s still a 130 MPH speed rating.

At this point I would recommend them.

Reactions: Vaillant
The only “con“ to these is that the fronts are only ”H” speed rated and not to Tesla spec. That really isn’t a problem as it’s still a 130 MPH speed rating.

Let's be realistic, when is the last time most Tesla drivers went over even 100-110 MPH? And to do that fast legally, have to be on a race track. Not a 1/4 mile, as not going to hit over 130 with an LRX, so would be a track like Road American. The top speeds are so high on new cars, and I know tires have to be rated for that, but in the U.S.A, where are you going to go over 130? The open areas of The Great Plains? Haven't been there in over 20 years and only did in the 80s when we were there.

And a higher speed rating may handle better also, but has the down sides of riding rougher, lasting less and being worse in winter. So there is that.

I'll take a 130MPH tire as NEVER EVER going to go that fast.

Reactions: brainhouston
I put them on my 2019 Raven LR X at about 22,000 miles back in December as the OEM Contis got chewed up with this heavy vehicle and a white knuckle drive after the fist snow compelled me to replace them. The Verdes seem just as quiet, no appreciable impact on range, handled confidently in subsequent snow/ice events this past winter, and in 3500 miles seem to have worn well to date.

Thanks for your review. The speed rating won’t initially be an issue because I’m doing the rears first, but it’s good to know about.

I ended up buying a pair for the rear a couple of days ago (installed price $570 at America’s Tire).

Haven’t driven too much yet to give much of an opinion. The first impression is that they feel a bit “squishy”, but that always happens when I go from a tire with almost no tread blocks to full tread blocks!

This is a family hauler rather than a canyon carver, so I’m hoping for a composed, quiet ride, but since it is the rears, I’m not sure how much I’ll notice.

Reactions: Harvey Danger
We had verde all season plus II's installed on our model X 75D. We have 17k on the the rears and will need to get them replaced soon as they are just now showing the tread wear indicators on the insides. Looks like the rear wheel camber is really off. If the tires were wearing evenly, maybe we could get 20k.... So not that far off from the OEM's Contis. Fronts which we had installed later have about 10k under them and seem to be doing a better. Not driving with a lead foot but it's the wife's primary car so is subject to mostly short stop and go traffic shuttling kids around town and shopping vs long highway commutes/ trips. I think we did maybe 1 800mile road trip last year. In terms of ride/ noise, we really don't notice that much different the conti's with the foam. Maybe slightly noiser at highways speeds but again, not too noticeable.

It’s been a few hundred miles now. The X isn’t my primary car, so a lot of the miles aren’t mine, but I do drive it fairly often.

The ride did seem to initially be worse, with the car being challenging to keep centered in the lane (autopilot struggled, too), but then I belatedly realized that the tire pressure was too high on all four corners (48 psi cold) The tire shop must’ve gone a bit overboard. I dropped them all to 41 psi cold, and now the ride is back to feeling normal.

I’ll update again in a while after getting some more miles on them.

Reactions: mikes_fsd
It’s been a few hundred miles now. The X isn’t my primary car, so a lot of the miles aren’t mine, but I do drive it fairly often.

The ride did seem to initially be worse, with the car being challenging to keep centered in the lane (autopilot struggled, too), but then I belatedly realized that the tire pressure was too high on all four corners (48 psi cold) The tire shop must’ve gone a bit overboard. I dropped them all to 41 psi cold, and now the ride is back to feeling normal.

I’ll update again in a while after getting some more miles on them.

I suspect max inflation on those tires is 50psi. If they were evenly inflated it might ride rough, but it shouldn't have any effect on the lane centering. Very odd. 41 cold seems low. I would probably keep them around 45.

Reactions: Vitaman
I suspect max inflation on those tires is 50psi. If they were evenly inflated it might ride rough, but it shouldn't have any effect on the lane centering. Very odd. 41 cold seems low. I would probably keep them around 45.
FWIW, 42 psi is what is recommended. You are correct that 50 is max.

There could be some alignment issues. We bought it used and I’ve never had it aligned (60k miles). The wear patterns on the tires all look pretty normal, though.

FWIW, 42 psi is what is recommended. You are correct that 50 is max.

There could be some alignment issues. We bought it used and I’ve never had it aligned (60k miles). The wear patterns on the tires all look pretty normal, though.
Isn't the door like 44-45?

If the car has never been aligned, it might not be a bad idea. Toe an manifest itself with odd tracking issues. But, like you mentioned it drives fine now and the wear looked normal. So, don't mess with a good thing 😆

Isn't the door like 44-45?

If the car has never been aligned, it might not be a bad idea. Toe an manifest itself with odd tracking issues. But, like you mentioned it drives fine now and the wear looked normal. So, don't mess with a good thing 😆
It depends on what wheels were on when you purchased the car. The 20-inch OEM Continental are spec'd at 45. The 22s with the Pirelli Scorpions, are spec'd at 42. Other tires likely to use other values. You would need to check with the tire manufacturer.

Follow up:

I took the X in to Tesla Sunnyvale to get aligned. Turns out there was a failed bushing which explains the handling issues. They ended up replacing the “FR SUSP AFT LINK ASSY” and then performed an alignment (all covered by warranty).

The car tracks a lot better at freeway speeds now. Clearly, the new tires had nothing to do with the previous problems. AP still struggles at 70+ mph, though, wobbling back and forth in the lane, making it unpleasant to use. This is in direct contrast to our 3, which AP does a great job with. Upon my post-repair feedback about AP, the service center recommended another service request, which they would use to initiate an OTA AP calibration. Hopefully that helps.

I just put these on my 2020 X with the 20" wheels after having had the OEM CrossContact LX Sport ones it came with. So far, wow, I couldn't be more impressed. The ride seems so much smoother (There used to be no suspension setting that made the some speed bumps and dips by our house better, but seems "fine" now?), and handling better also. Noise is good, seems comparable to the stock tires when they were new. Only been a couple days, but it makes me sad I put up with the stock ones for so long.

Reactions: Vaillant