Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Uncork a 60D (limited 75)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ok what i meant is was it based on your own car vin or all 60d once a person unlocks the battery??

sorry didnt mean to be flip.

Not a problem. It seems off the other thread that there are some unknown variables for all 75kWh cars being uncorked. But it was the first response from tesla I have seen confirming that paying for the upgrade would make a 60D eligible to be uncorked. I plan to do it as soon as I get my car back from the body shop.

Reason I ask is it'd shed light on if people are becoming immediately eligible, or if it's taking Tesla's database time to update before they're approved. Since there are rumors of people upgrading and still being bounced.

Not a problem. It seems off the other thread that there are some unknown variables for all 75kWh cars being uncorked. But it was the first response from tesla I have seen confirming that paying for the upgrade would make a 60D eligible to be uncorked. I plan to do it as soon as I get my car back from the body shop.
Yeah, once I have it in writing from Tesla, they can have my 2 grand too.

I just got this response from tesla exec escalation:

“Hi Raymond,

I just checked with a lead technician and an Engineer, and if you upgrade to a 75D, you WILL be eligible for the performance upgrade as well. It will take 2 hours and you will just need to go into your local service center.

Let us know if you need anything else. Thanks!
Alli | Escalations Team
24/7 Support 1-877-79-TESLA”

That answers that!

I heard the samething from my SC. The representative specifically mentioned that he found out from the corporate side. I’m guessing HQ Fremont.

May I ask for the prefix on your VIN?

I just called the SC in Dallas and was found ineligible. 155XXX October 2016 60D .

I asked my local service center about uncorking my Model S 60D VIN 175XXX from December 2016.

They stated that even if I unlocked to a 75D, my vehicle would not be eligible for the upgrade due to the "Production Date (and therefore Hardware)". They stated that the battery pack and drive units do not support the performance improvements.

Odd, I've seen many with earlier production dates than mine getting the performance upgrade.

Last edited:
I asked my local service center about uncorking my Model S 60D VIN 175XXX from December 2016 and here's their response:

"Thanks for reaching out. You are correct that this performance upgrade is for 75Ds only. I did some digging, and even if you were to unlock your Model S from a 60D to a 75D, your vehicle would not be eligible for this upgrade due to its Production Date (and therefore Hardware). The hardware on your vehicle, specifically the battery pack and drive units, do not support this performance upgrade. Tesla is always making improvements, so this is not to say there won’t be one for your vehicle in the future, but at this time there is not."

Odd, I've seen many with earlier production dates than mine getting the performance upgrade.

I have a Dec 1742xx delivery (Dec 23). I am eligible. They are parroting the old information. They need to get with the program. I wouldn't listen to them.

There is no hardware difference between our cars other than my battery was unlocked just before Easter when the price dropped and yours isn't.

I asked my local service center about uncorking my Model S 60D VIN 175XXX from December 2016.

They stated that even if I unlocked to a 75D, my vehicle would not be eligible for the upgrade due to the "Production Date (and therefore Hardware)". They stated that the battery pack and drive units do not support the performance improvements.

they are all over the board on this....Makes me wonder what REALLY is up? Do they really just willy nilly put diff parts on diff cars on the same line/same day/ same week?

Yup, that is inaccurate. I got mine updated yesterday/ It was a 60 D that I upgraded to 75D a few months ago. It was built in July 2016 VIN 147xxx

I have a Dec 1742xx delivery (Dec 23). I am eligible. They are parroting the old information. They need to get with the program. I wouldn't listen to them.

There is no hardware difference between our cars other than my battery was unlocked just before Easter when the price dropped and yours isn't.

Thanks for the reply. I'll try my luck again next week. Maybe they'll have better information then.

they are all over the board on this....Makes me wonder what REALLY is up? Do they really just willy nilly put diff parts on diff cars on the same line/same day/ same week?

I'm thinking this is just the case of bad information on their part. I doubt my motors are any different from motors put into cars built around the same time. I've also seen people with the same battery part number as mine receive the performance improvements so that can't be it either.

Yup, that is inaccurate. I got mine updated yesterday/ It was a 60 D that I upgraded to 75D a few months ago. It was built in July 2016 VIN 147xxx

Wow, that's one of the earliest VINs I've seen receive the improvements. Thanks for replying. I have a service visit next week. I plan on pushing the issue further then. I'm guessing I'm getting an automatic "No" because I have a 60D and haven't paid for the unlock yet. With all the problems I've had with this car, they should just unlock the 75D for me. But that's just extremely wishful thinking on my part. I wouldn't mind paying eventually if they can guarantee the performance improvements. The range improvements are nice, but not worth $2,000 alone. I don't take a lot of long trips where I'd need the range.

Not true. There are cars produced a lot earlier than yours and they're getting it.

Forgive my ignorance...please tell me what Uncorking means. I bought a 60D and upgraded to 75D by selecting the higher battery level as soon as the price dropped to $2000. I thought that Performance batteries needed some bigger conductors/fuses and were different than the entry level batteries. Can I really get P-performance with uncorking?Vin 153xxx