Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone understand the M3 used car market?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just looking at ev-cpo.com

That website will show cars that are posted for sale on the Tesla website. But a sales rep can see cars that may be assigned to another buyer but are in the process of being cancelled, reassigned, swapped for another color, or other random reasons why a car is about to come back on the market but hasn’t quite been cleared to post to the website yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Shadious
This thread made me curious so I went to Carvana just to see what they would offer. $31k for my 2018 LR AWD with standard 18” wheels and 66k miles on it. That’s more than I thought it would be considering the high mileage, wonder what they would pay for one with more normal miles in the 20k to 30k range. Doesn’t really matter as there’s no way I’m selling it yet, best car I’ve ever owned!

This thread made me curious so I went to Carvana just to see what they would offer. $31k for my 2018 LR AWD with standard 18” wheels and 66k miles on it. That’s more than I thought it would be considering the high mileage, wonder what they would pay for one with more normal miles in the 20k to 30k range. Doesn’t really matter as there’s no way I’m selling it yet, best car I’ve ever owned!

Once you get out of warranty you’re really selling the car more on overall condition — the fact it’s a Tesla will add a 10-20% premium over the average used car in the same segment but that’s a temporary market condition.

Bunch of dealerships in Canada buy brand new model 3s and then sell them for the same price as Tesla. They make profit by flipping the trade ins for a profit, also by offering financing to people who wouldnt otherwise qualify through Tesla.

Carmax has a similar model of paying more for trade in and using financing sale as a profit center..

Anyone trade in a SR 3 recently?

I went to carvana too for kicks.

Let's just say they are caught up on how to look at options onea model 3.

No 2020 option (I know it doesn't really matter, but still)
No stealth option
No speed upgrade for awd

... etc
Carvana had offered 39,5 for our MR w EAP. Tesla had offered 40,5+sales tax credit.
We ended up private selling for more than either of the two (but no sales tax credit)

Having the money fluid gives us more shopping options.

Just go to Carvana, check what they will give you for trade-in, then look to see what they are selling that same model/mileage for.... price gouging.... just to give you an example, in my area my trade in value is $34k and they sell the same one for $42k.

That markup between wholesale and retail price seems reasonable at 24%

What is your issue, except you'd presumably prefer them to buy it from you at retail price, and inventory and sell it at cost?

Reactions: EnrgyNDpndnce
I’ve been wondering the same, not to make a profit but to trade from AWD to Performance without taking a bath.

I checked yesterday and there were ZERO new or used model 3s available through Tesla. Seems my low mileage, super clean AWD could sell for a very good price right now.

It’s a lot of hassle, but I’m mulling it over.

How close are you to having a P anyway? When Spring rolls around, put on a set of performance tires with 20" rims and you'd be most of the way there, surely?

I need to go to TX and trade my car... Tesla won’t come close to 40.5k even for a LR AWD trade here... :rolleyes:
I wasn’t all that shocked TBH. Carvana could turn the car around for a 5-6K on the top, Tesla could remove EAP and resell it in the low 40’s (and still make money on a potential FSD buy)

I’m curious what they’d offer for my P3D+ but if your valuation is any indication I think I’ll stay away: What I don’t know can’t hurt me.

I’m in the market for an SR+ or LR. I was negotiating with a guy — 2019 SR+, AP, HW3, 5800 miles, Black with White. His lowest is $37K (asking $38K). Carvana offer was $31,800 for my zip code.

My goal for it is $35-36K. We’ll see how it goes.