Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone upgrade the LED lights on the new Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How tricky was it to get to the drivers side & passenger side trunk wires?

Piece of cake. 30 minutes per the instructions is being generous. If you are a regular DIYer, you can do it in less than 10 minutes.

I first found the areas and poked at it with my fingers to bend the cutouts a little.
img_2594-jpg.208253

Then, I pulled the lining back. Unlike other cars, the Tesla doesn't have extra clips holding the rear lining down. It's simply tucked away, and mine was actually pulled loose just from regular use of the side cubbies.

A quick tug (medium pressure - requires some force, but no strain) to get it loose.

The drivers side wire was a little further up (around the orange plastic of the charge port) secured by a white pull away tape. The passenger side was directly behind the cutout. Picture here hopefully gives you an idea of how far up.
img_2592-jpg.208254

After I located them, I quickly tested to make sure I had the right wires. Plugged in, closed & opened the hatch to make sure they turned on and off. The wires are secured by white pull away tape.
img_2595-jpg.208256

img_2596-jpg.208257

Then I used a box cutter (a good, sharp one) to finish the cutouts from behind.
img_2590-jpg.208259

The instructions seem much more complicated an intimidating than the reality.

Attachments

• IMG_2594.JPG
    IMG_2594.JPG
    163.7 KB · Views: 580
  • IMG_2592.JPG
    IMG_2592.JPG
    261.7 KB · Views: 501
  • IMG_2595.JPG
    IMG_2595.JPG
    234.8 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_2596.JPG
    IMG_2596.JPG
    346.2 KB · Views: 520
  • IMG_2590.JPG
    IMG_2590.JPG
    574.3 KB · Views: 533
  • IMG_2586.JPG
    IMG_2586.JPG
    373.7 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Piece of cake. 30 minutes per the instructions is being generous. If you are a regular DIYer, you can do it in less than 10 minutes.

I first found the areas and poked at it with my fingers to bend the cutouts a little.
img_2594-jpg.208253

Then, I pulled the lining back. Unlike other cars, the Tesla doesn't have extra clips holding the rear lining down. It's simply tucked away, and mine was actually pulled loose just from regular use of the side cubbies.

A quick tug (medium pressure - requires some force, but no strain) to get it loose.

The drivers side wire was a little further up (around the orange plastic of the charge port) secured by a white pull away tape. The passenger side was directly behind the cutout. Picture here hopefully gives you an idea of how far up.
img_2592-jpg.208254

After I located them, I quickly tested to make sure I had the right wires. Plugged in, closed & opened the hatch to make sure they turned on and off. The wires are secured by white pull away tape.
img_2595-jpg.208256

img_2596-jpg.208257

Then I used a box cutter to finish the cutouts from behind.

The instructions seem much more complicated an intimidating than the reality.
Alright I will order and give it a shot! If you do the puddle lights please let us know.

Yep I have a 2016 MS without the premium upgrade and installed all the Abstract Ocean LED's a few days ago. It was all straightforward and all the wiring and cut outs were there. I haven't installed the puddle lights though. Definitely a worthwhile spend.
Which lights did you replace? The trunk/frunk? Or the interior flood lights? Or puddle?

I changed out the trunk, frunk, red door lights and the front and back floor lights as well as the glove box. Everything except the puddle lights as they recommend a more experienced installer for those. The cut outs appear to be present but they are solid rather than just in the carpet so you can't push them out with just your fingers as far as I can tell. Also you need to remove the solid door trim rather than just lifting the carpet.

Hope that helps.

I changed out the trunk, frunk, red door lights and the front and back floor lights as well as the glove box. Everything except the puddle lights as they recommend a more experienced installer for those. The cut outs appear to be present but they are solid rather than just in the carpet so you can't push them out with just your fingers as far as I can tell. Also you need to remove the solid door trim rather than just lifting the carpet.

Hope that helps.
Was replacing the interior floor lights straightforward? Same as the AO instructions?

Reviving this thread for 2016 NON PUP LED lights.

Trunk lid is probably the toughest as it really sounds like you are about to break something. The others were all super easy and took a couple minutes tops. I used a relatively large flat head screw-driver to twist the lights out.

I've managed to do 8 so far
3 in the Trunk (Big Thanks to Yinn for the picture and steps on driver side trunk, I just couldn't find the darn wire until I read that post)
1 in Frunk
2 Front Door Puddle lights
2 Front footwell lights

I have two more I want to do, the Rear door Puddle lights. I spotted the cut out in the door, and made an opening, but I just cannot find the wire. Do I have to open the door to access the wire on non-PUP? I'm really hoping there is an easy way to find it

Any help on the rear doors for non-PUP late 2016 would really help.

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop
The wiring is there for the rear puddle lights. You either have to remove the door panel, or you can pull off the speaker grill. This thread is helpful for it: My non-PUP has puddle lights

There isn't a good way to fish them out as some have fished out the wrong wire and resulted in the lights being on when the door was closed. The harness itself is taped just like the other ones anyway, so would require a good amount of force to get it loose.

I have non pup lighting and did all 13 white and 4 red. The missing rear puddles are super easy and you don’t need to remove the door. At least on mine they were taped to the Red lights. Cut an x shape in the missing puddle spot. Stuck a coat hanger from bottom up to the red lights (super easy) and taped the wire and pulled back through. Then just plug in and the light fits in very tight. I have an early 2014 and late 2014. Both were the same.