TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Anyone upgrade the rear view camera?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Pandamoanium, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

Probably the only first world complaint with the 3. Rear view camera is kind of potato quality. Honestly surprised to see it. Maybe I’m just overly picky but the S and C rear view camera quality is something I’ve become accustomed to.

• Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  2. Tezlanian

Tezlanian Member

I assume you mean S and X? Is "potato quality" code for fisheye? If so, I agree.

3. iwannam3

iwannam3 Member

It is WAY better than my Prius backup camera. I heard early complaints, but I thought a software fix helped it.

4. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

It's pretty good now..on par or better than s/x with all the software updates

• Like x 1
  5. PoitNarf

PoitNarf The Clown Prince of Crime

I saw what the camera used to look like in whatever software version was running on the Model 3 back in late December and it was truly awful then. They’ve made gigantic improvements since and I really don’t have any problems with the quality at all in its current revision.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. ForeverFree

ForeverFree Supporting Member

+1

Ir's gone from embarrassingly bad to pretty darned good.

7. Chris350

Chris350 Member

During dusk, I get a green or pink tiny over the image. Also in the evening, the image is pretty grainy.

I've seen much better on cheaper cars.

Hope it gets better.

8. Tezlanian

Tezlanian Member

Please, do tell what these cheaper cars are which achieve better rear guidance. Also, is this dimensionality or clarity?

9. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

Ya I like to know too.

10. H2000

H2000 Member

At least your rear cameras work! Mine works maybe 2/10 times at the most.

11. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

I admit that I see some funky green colors in the strangest places sometimes!

12. Ormond

Ormond Member

I'd like to see those side cameras put to use too.

• Like x 2
  13. Lasairfion

Lasairfion Member

Are they attached with standard connectors (eg 4 pin aviation or RCA & 2.1mm jack) and so could be replaced by any 3rd party camera?

Or are there also software constraints that limit the MCU to only deal with certain manufacturers?

14. Runebane

Runebane Member

Coming from a Hyundai Veloster which has a much more pronounced fish eye lens, this looks way better. It still has enough fish eye to see more behind you when you have a couple bigger vehicles parked next to you but not so much you get sea sick ;)

15. Runt8

Runt8 Active Member

They make cream for that...:D

• Funny x 5
  16. btews

btews Member

I think they are planning to use the rear camera for Autopilot and / or FSD (maybe in version 9?) -- so I would be concerned about compatibility with a 3rd party camera. If FSD is calibrated for a certain fisheye lens, how would that work with another camera?

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

Compared to the S and X, picture quality was grainy. Not a huge deal but it's on par with Porsche. The S and X rear view cameras are just so crisp I was surprised to not see it on the 3. Vin was around 55K I think so it could have been updated.

18. WileyTheMan

WileyTheMan Peanut Gallery Member

The quality is fine. It's on par if not better than most backup cameras in its class, from what I've seen.

I wonder if replacing it with a 3rd party camera would mess with AP.

• Like x 1
  19. plasmo

plasmo Member

I just got my Model 3 yesterday, and the rear camera quality was immediately noticeable as worse than the S (the best) and X.
    Night vision is more grainy, and the resolution is not as detailed/crisp as the Model S.
    I think this wouldn't be an issue if the driver is not already used to the other cameras for comparison.

20. Pandamoanium

Pandamoanium Member

Thanks for confirming this. Even with the show room models all on the newest update and such show it. It's not a big issue at all as I can still make things out well. Just not on par with S and X.