Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone upgrade the rear view camera?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Are they attached with standard connectors (eg 4 pin aviation or RCA & 2.1mm jack) and so could be replaced by any 3rd party camera?

Or are there also software constraints that limit the MCU to only deal with certain manufacturers?

Coming from a Hyundai Veloster which has a much more pronounced fish eye lens, this looks way better. It still has enough fish eye to see more behind you when you have a couple bigger vehicles parked next to you but not so much you get sea sick ;)

Compared to the S and X, picture quality was grainy. Not a huge deal but it's on par with Porsche. The S and X rear view cameras are just so crisp I was surprised to not see it on the 3. Vin was around 55K I think so it could have been updated.

I just got my Model 3 yesterday, and the rear camera quality was immediately noticeable as worse than the S (the best) and X.
Night vision is more grainy, and the resolution is not as detailed/crisp as the Model S.
I think this wouldn't be an issue if the driver is not already used to the other cameras for comparison.

I just got my Model 3 yesterday, and the rear camera quality was immediately noticeable as worse than the S (the best) and X.
Night vision is more grainy, and the resolution is not as detailed/crisp as the Model S.
I think this wouldn't be an issue if the driver is not already used to the other cameras for comparison.
Thanks for confirming this. Even with the show room models all on the newest update and such show it. It's not a big issue at all as I can still make things out well. Just not on par with S and X.