Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone upgraded the power delivery of console USB ports?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve got a 2018 Model S 75D. My wife is very unhappy with the rate at which her phone charges when she uses the console USB ports (all USB A) to the point where she brings an external battery pack to use instead of the car.

This is absurd.

Does anyone know of an upgrade to get console USB ports which can source more power? Or a clean-looking way to tap into the electrical system and I’ll go build my own?

I’ve got a 2018 Model S 75D. My wife is very unhappy with the rate at which her phone charges when she uses the console USB ports (all USB A) to the point where she brings an external battery pack to use instead of the car.

This is absurd.

Does anyone know of an upgrade to get console USB ports which can source more power? Or a clean-looking way to tap into the electrical system and I’ll go build my own?
I am unsure about the Model S, but in my 2020 model 3 I was able to buy the newer USB-C console hub from Tesla service, remove my old double USB-A console, and then replace it with a retrofit connector I bought off eBay.

I get much faster charging, pulling over 20 watts from one of the USB-Cs. However, I do not know if this cable is compatible with the model S, but if you can find your newer part number for the model S with USB-C you can surely find out!

Upvote 0
I am unsure about the Model S, but in my 2020 model 3 I was able to buy the newer USB-C console hub from Tesla service, remove my old double USB-A console, and then replace it with a retrofit connector I bought off eBay.

I get much faster charging, pulling over 20 watts from one of the USB-Cs. However, I do not know if this cable is compatible with the model S, but if you can find your newer part number for the model S with USB-C you can surely find out!
Hey OP or anyone else knowledgeable on this! I'm planning on doing this and am curious, are you still able to transfer data in the ports after upgrading? I keep my USB drive in one of those ports and want to make sure I'll still be able to use it post-upgrade.

Upvote 0
Hey OP or anyone else knowledgeable on this! I'm planning on doing this and am curious, are you still able to transfer data in the ports after upgrading? I keep my USB drive in one of those ports and want to make sure I'll still be able to use it post-upgrade.
Wish I could help, but I only ever did this on my model 3 (don't have an S). In my model 3, there was a mini-usb A wire (or something like that) that is used for data transfer so mine still does transfer data. The OP never said if he got any type of retrofit to work. Hope someone else can help you!

Upvote 0
Wish I could help, but I only ever did this on my model 3 (don't have an S). In my model 3, there was a mini-usb A wire (or something like that) that is used for data transfer so mine still does transfer data. The OP never said if he got any type of retrofit to work. Hope someone else can help you!
Oh I'm doing this for my 2019 model 3 as well. I'm trying to upgrade the ports to get faster charging speeds (27W), but want to make sure my sentry will still work.

Upvote 0
Oh I'm doing this for my 2019 model 3 as well. I'm trying to upgrade the ports to get faster charging speeds (27W), but want to make sure my sentry will still work.
Oh, I misunderstood.

Yes your sentry will still work, mine works perfectly. Though I am not sure if you buy the newest USB Hub (that are double USB-C) if sentry will work (as I am not sure if there is a data cable on those).

I personally bought the hub that would be in a June 2020-2021 Model 3 that has 1 USB-C and 1 USB-A. I use a Jeda Hub to plug my wireless charger into, and my sentry SSD. If you plan on getting the Jeda Hub, make sure you buy the correct one for your USB hub. I also made this post a bit ago when I was doing the retrofit because I was unsure about the watts I was pulling, it may be helpful to you since you want faster charging.

Upvote 0
Oh, I misunderstood.

Yes your sentry will still work, mine works perfectly. Though I am not sure if you buy the newest USB Hub (that are double USB-C) if sentry will work (as I am not sure if there is a data cable on those).

I personally bought the hub that would be in a June 2020-2021 Model 3 that has 1 USB-C and 1 USB-A. I use a Jeda Hub to plug my wireless charger into, and my sentry SSD. If you plan on getting the Jeda Hub, make sure you buy the correct one for your USB hub. I also made this post a bit ago when I was doing the retrofit because I was unsure about the watts I was pulling, it may be helpful to you since you want faster charging.
You're a ****ing legend btw for the quick response and for being one of the few people I've been able to reach who are doing exactly what I'm doing. I am going to also replace with a 1A and 1C part. I'll buy that JEDA hub when I'm finished. Some questions:

Do you have any videos you recommend?

How important was it to disconnect the 12v battery? I'm hoping to just move the console, swap the part, and be done.

This is the adaptor I purchased, does this look correct? 2018-2020 Tesla Model 3 USB-A to USB-C Retrofit Adapter | eBay

Any recommendations on where to purchase the 1A1C hub part? I see some online but hoping to get from Tesla.

Any other tips or things to know?

Upvote 0
You're a ****ing legend btw for the quick response and for being one of the few people I've been able to reach who are doing exactly what I'm doing. I am going to also replace with a 1A and 1C part. I'll buy that JEDA hub when I'm finished. Some questions:

Do you have any videos you recommend?

How important was it to disconnect the 12v battery? I'm hoping to just move the console, swap the part, and be done.

This is the adaptor I purchased, does this look correct? 2018-2020 Tesla Model 3 USB-A to USB-C Retrofit Adapter | eBay

Any recommendations on where to purchase the 1A1C hub part? I see some online but hoping to get from Tesla.

Any other tips or things to know?
I do not have any videos I can recommend. I have a PDF of the installation process I received when I bought my retrofit cable. If you want that, I will send you a message and try to attach it somehow. It has instructions for the rear vent swap to USB-C, the center console USB, and if you want to add a USB to your glovebox to put your sentry in there instead of in the Jeda Hub (I personally didn't do it)

I cannot speak to how important it was to disconnect the 12V battery, but I did do it just to be safe.

Yes that adapter does look identical to the one I purchased.

I purchased my hub straight from Tesla, online was a massive rip-off with people on eBay wanting $100s. I got the part directly from Tesla for about $65 (something like that).

Install was straight-forward, It only took me a bit of time trying to position the entire console back in the right spot, while not piercing the USB cable, I ended up taping it to the backside of the console so it would not be in the way.

Upvote 0
I do not have any videos I can recommend. I have a PDF of the installation process I received when I bought my retrofit cable. If you want that, I will send you a message and try to attach it somehow. It has instructions for the rear vent swap to USB-C, the center console USB, and if you want to add a USB to your glovebox to put your sentry in there instead of in the Jeda Hub (I personally didn't do it)

I cannot speak to how important it was to disconnect the 12V battery, but I did do it just to be safe.

Yes that adapter does look identical to the one I purchased.

I purchased my hub straight from Tesla, online was a massive rip-off with people on eBay wanting $100s. I got the part directly from Tesla for about $65 (something like that).

Install was straight-forward, It only took me a bit of time trying to position the entire console back in the right spot, while not piercing the USB cable, I ended up taping it to the backside of the console so it would not be in the way.
Amazing!!!! Thank you. I'm waiting for the service center to open back up to call and get the part.

Do you have any other retrofits or upgrades you think are cool or worth the time? This is my first one and I'm really excited to do it.

Upvote 0
Amazing!!!! Thank you. I'm waiting for the service center to open back up to call and get the part.

Do you have any other retrofits or upgrades you think are cool or worth the time? This is my first one and I'm really excited to do it.
Some have retrofit the entire center console with the newer ones (with the built in wireless charger), but it costs a pretty penny (upwards of $900 I think). I considered it, but I already have that same interior in my newer model Y so I didn't bother.

I personally only did this retrofit, but I am getting annoyed at manually closing my trunk and may install a third party electric liftgate. I was holding out hope for Tesla to introduce the retrofit in the US (like they did in China), but it has been over a year at this point with no new information.

Instead of calling the service center (if they even pickup), I put a request in the app for service and told them what part number I wanted. It may be worth a try if they don't pickup.

Good luck!

• Love
Reactions: jbigs
Upvote 0