Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone upgrading from a 2020 MX to the Refresh??

sarugby4life

Aug 5, 2019
California - Bay Area
Hi all,

I'm sure this has been thrown around already, but we currently have a 2020 MXP and I'm curious if anyone with very recent MX purchases is considering the upgrade to the refreshed model. I absolutely love my car, and have invested in the various nice to haves - PPF/ceramic/tints/chrome delete etc. But I also love tech.

Would obviously take a bath on the 2020 but still curious if others are inclined to upgrade?

Cheers!

VLTWGGN

Aug 5, 2018
SF Bay Area
I was looking at used Model XPs and decided to ditch it for a Plaid X order specifically for the refreshed design. I'm still on the fence about it, but a 2019/20 XP vs a Plaid X is about a $40k price premium. I'm sure the vertical center display and Raven architecture is stellar by all means, but at that price point I feel like I should just get a new one.

sarugby4life

Aug 5, 2019
California - Bay Area
Yea, I think I could get $110k for my MXP (FSD included) if I tried hard enough. But by the time you add taxes and all the PPF/ceramic,FSD, etc to the new car, you'd be close to $165k. Hard to justify that IMO for a fairly minor refresh. I do think the new interior is cool and the third motor also, but I'm also thinking there will be a much bigger battery redesign in the next few years with the 4680 packs.

Ughhh - the price of always wanting to keep up with tech that always moves fast :)

At this stage I'm leaning towards keeping my car. But I can always be convinced!

VLTWGGN

Aug 5, 2018
SF Bay Area
Yep I put in an order just to lock in price. If I find a decent deal on a 2019/20 MXP I'll probably pocket the 40k and just buy that (as long as it has FSD). As much as I want to keep my 3P, hauling around a very active 80lb shepherd in the back is not easy.

Richbot

Oct 16, 2020
STL
For what it's worth, I think the day-to-day performance of the LR is going to be about equal to the Performance pre-refresh cars, in the real world, because it doesn't look like it will need any special conditions to give you access to the whole banana - no launch mode, just mash and go, and it's significantly lighter .

I'm going to hold off until I have a chance to climb around in one and see some real-world range reviews. But so far, I'm pretty certain I want to put an order in and see how resale on my 2021 refresh looks next year. I didn't realize the charge rate would be going up so markedly on this pack/power electronics setup, and that's a game-changer for me for road-tripping. And I didn't foresee being able to *make* money on buying a car after putting 8000 miles on it, lookign at classifieds anyway

But again, need to see one in the flesh first, so I'm not going to be an early adopter, I wasn't with my current X either obviously as I waited until almost the last possible moment to order an "old" one

Last edited:
Reactions: Monark1954

sarugby4life

Aug 5, 2019
California - Bay Area
These are all good points. My detailer actually posted a video of one of the first Model S Plaid cars in his shop.

And a review of the new Yoke steering wheel

I LOVE the interior, it's pretty futuristic. But after seeing this real world demo of the yoke, I'm absolutely not inclined to upgrade until a standard wheel is offered. I love where Tesla is going, and this does force drivers to use both hands on the wheel, but that is just so awkward for daily driving.

I also need a lot more range to justify taking a bath on my 2020. I have been lucky enough to not hit the shudder issue on my car, but also do not have enough miles on it to say it won't happen.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC