Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone upgrading to a Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m really considering the upgrade. With a toddler it’ll just be easier and roomier for everyone.

I got my 3 in May 2018, wondering if I get the Y early will it have free data? Or should I wait and hope for Y price to drop like it did for the 3?

Things look very different for Tesla now compared to when the Model 3 was first released. The tax credits played a big role in determining which trim levels came first and when price drops would occur. Now that is all history. And the Model Y is expected to outsell the Model 3/S/X sales combined. Tesla has not released Model Y reservations numbers but my guess is they are substantial. If you are thinking about buying one I would go ahead and put your deposit down now. You can always cancel or delay but you may find there is a very long wait, especially if the ramp up does not happen quickly.

I would not expect to see any price drops for a very long time.

...roomier for everyone...

For about $4,000 more, I think that's a good deal!

...if I get the Y early will it have free data?...

No. There's a table that disqualifies Model Y from being grandfathered for 6/30/2018 purchasers:

Connectivity

...hope for Y price to drop like it did for the 3?

High tech items do drop their prices if you wait long enough.

The question is how long are you willing to wait?

I got my 3 in May 2018, wondering if I get the Y early will it have free data? Or should I wait and hope for Y price to drop like it did for the 3?
I don’t have a crystal ball on prices, but I’m 100% sure that the model Y will improve over time. Tesla’s history is that when they keep the price the same, they include more and more for that same price. They are about innovation and always moving forward, but also about bringing EV’s to the masses, which means keeping prices in check.
For about $4,000 more, I think that's a good deal!
If one has a choice between ordering a new Y vs and new 3, the delta of $4k is a good comparison. But the OP’s situation is a 2 year old model 3, so there is also depreciation of that to factor in.

Reactions: paulvinh and KJD
Upgrade?

Depends how you define upgrade. More size yes, more performance no.

“I” would not call it an upgrade....love my 3 and no desire for a Y even as a family of 4.

Had a Honda Accord before the 3 and when my kids were babies, never, ever did I want an SUV. I know I’m in the minority of folks who don’t want a crossover SUV....

Having said all this the wife drives the SUV and she loves sitting up high.

Upgrade?

Depends how you define upgrade. More size yes, more performance no.

“I” would not call it an upgrade....love my 3 and no desire for a Y even as a family of 4.

Had a Honda Accord before the 3 and when my kids were babies, never, ever did I want an SUV. I know I’m in the minority of folks who don’t want a crossover SUV....

Having said all this the wife drives the SUV and she loves sitting up high.
SUV lovers have a different idea about what matters. I am sure there are some Porsche Cayenne owners who view their boats as an upgrade over a 911, too.

damn my 3 probably isn’t worth much then.
upload_2020-2-3_0-1-25.png

Really tempted.. That works out to about $54,000 with sales tax credit. Just enough to get me into an LYD w/AP. Alternately: That’s not too far from what I’d ask on a private sale.

Attachments

• upload_2020-2-3_0-1-25.jpeg
    upload_2020-2-3_0-1-25.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: MorrisonHiker
View attachment 507271

Really tempted.. That works out to about $54,000 with sales tax credit. Just enough to get me into an LYD w/AP. Alternately: That’s not too far from what I’d ask on a private sale.

This actually doesn’t look too bad except my mileage is double. Would totally trade in my car for model y if I could get 50k. The hard part is the wait for the model y which would continue to depreciate my 3.

Nah, I can't throw away money in depreciation like that. Probably not buying another car for 3-5 years when the Honda Fit finally shows too much age, and by then there's hopefully going to be a lot of comparable EVs to... well, compare.

Also need to see and drive it first. We both don't like SUVs, but we like small hatchbacks. Neither the Model 3 nor the Model Y fit what we actually like. The Y does have a hatch instead of a trunk though which is admittedly a lot nicer to use, especially for long items. The VW ID Vizzon (the wagon-esque thing) is more of a fit for us (as is the VW ID.3, but that didn't make it to Canada).

Yes, I ordered the Model Y the day it was announce. I currently have 2 Model 3's. I plan to keep my 2018 M3P and sell the 2019 dual motor. We've always had one SUV in out garage and are very excited to get the new Y.

I may now that I can afford a whole new Tesla with TSLA as high as it is. Feel sorry for all the fools that trusted so called investors like Mark Spiegel and his ilk with their hard earned money. Major short squeeze.