TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Anyone use 13A charging cable?

Discussion in 'Hong Kong' started by cwsn2, Feb 7, 2017.

1. cwsn2

cwsn2 Member

I am going-to-be MX driver, just seeking advise from the group whether a 13A charging cable necessary?

Thanks

2. garethmchau

garethmchau Member

Yes if you intend to park at work. Charging at 11km/h is slow but fine if you charge all day at work.

3. garethmchau

garethmchau Member

Just to add because most medium chargers don't work with facelift model s at the moment so you need to use the 13As...

4. jsiu

jsiu Member

Just to leave yourself open to all charging options, and plug-in whenever chargers are available. Charging EV is like charging your smartphone, we don't wait till the last moment when the low power warning signal is on. Very different from ICE which will be usually tanked up at the last moment.

5. cwsn2

cwsn2 Member

Thanks for all the comment, but actually I work at place where SC is available, so no need for 13A. Also my research show me a lot of public charging place is Standard Plug available, so not sure if investing on a cable that I may not use often will be wasting.

6. JHuberman

JHuberman Member

It is not so much how often you use it, it is how often you NEED it.

7. TESLΛ

TESLΛ Member

9/10 times, I charge with the 13A...

8. jsiu

jsiu Member

so do I.

9. garethmchau

garethmchau Member

Standard plug is 13A three pronged..... the plug you get for free with the tesla is the medium charging cable with the holes like the cross section of a bee hive

10. Dan43

Dan43 Member

6mi/hr charge via 13amp, it is fine for all day or overnight charging. 10 hours will give 60 miles of range.

11. cwsn2

cwsn2 Member

Sorry, I do mean most public charging car park is the "bee hive" plug

12. jsiu

jsiu Member

Most government public car parks come with Type 2 32A single phase medium charger "bee hive". The charging rate is about 32km / hr. The problem now is not the number of chargers but most of the charging slots are occupied by ICE especially those in government public car parks.

The HKSAR government gave a false statement that charging facilities were adequate which backed up by a low utilization rate of chargers. The actual situation is those charging slots are occupied by ICE not available for EV, hence low utilization rate.