Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use autopilot in heavy traffic yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
anyone in LA or big city use this yet with stop, go, stop, go? does it work well? sounds like a perfect time to take a nap while in traffic!

Yes, I just took it on a drive up and down Olympic in Los Angeles East of the 405. This was about a 5 mile drive in each direction.
It did an amazing job, I even had it change lanes automatically on it's own a few times.

The TACC also is WAY smoother for stop and go traffic now.

The only issue I found a few times today was turn lanes. LA has pretty bad markings in the lanes, and the car definetly made driving errors I had to correct (Read frantically took control). On straight roads / freeways it seemed to work amazing.

Yes, I just took it on a drive up and down Olympic in Los Angeles East of the 405. This was about a 5 mile drive in each direction.
It did an amazing job, I even had it change lanes automatically on it's own a few times.

The TACC also is WAY smoother for stop and go traffic now.

The only issue I found a few times today was turn lanes. LA has pretty bad markings in the lanes, and the car definetly made driving errors I had to correct (Read frantically took control). On straight roads / freeways it seemed to work amazing.

Olympic is a east west street that has stop lights right? what happens when there is a red light approaching? you manually press brakes? does the car start up again?

Olympic is a east west street that has stop lights right? what happens when there is a red light approaching? you manually press brakes? does the car start up again?

During the drive I was always behind someone at a red light, just lucky. Otherwise I would have manually had to break.
Surprisingly, it sat for a very long time at a red light without forcing a hold position. So for the length of the drive I didn't have to touch anything (break, acceleration or steering).
Only when I turned off of Olympic did I have to take over.

My usual route is the 134/210 but today I went to a different location and took the 110-S from the beginning in Pasadena, connecting to the 10-W on the way to Beverly Hills.

As most of you know, the 110 can be tricky to drive with the constant turning and all those curves. The autosteer technically worked but it was kind of scary letting it control as it had to constantly adjust to the curves. The experience felt similar to using the TACC for the first time, it's a little challenging trusting the car to handle something you would normally do. The autosteer felt like it would turn a little too harshly and would have to constantly correct. It was also a little late in initiating turns, similar to the lag TACC had originally. Hopefully future updates will allow it to have earlier and smoother turns without over-turning. On the 10-W it performed much better since it was mostly straight with minor deviations.

I'm more excited about the TACC improvements that have made the braking less harsh and is a little bit of a smoother ride.

During the drive I was always behind someone at a red light, just lucky. Otherwise I would have manually had to break.
Surprisingly, it sat for a very long time at a red light without forcing a hold position. So for the length of the drive I didn't have to touch anything (break, acceleration or steering).
Only when I turned off of Olympic did I have to take over.
I did a bit of that today in San Diego and as long as it has a car to track, it does very well in traffic. Highway was the bomb, though, and less worrisome for me. I have used TACC in my MBZ often in stop and go traffic on the 5 from San Diego to LA and this was much, much smoother.

My usual route is the 134/210 but today I went to a different location and took the 110-S from the beginning in Pasadena, connecting to the 10-W on the way to Beverly Hills.

As most of you know, the 110 can be tricky to drive with the constant turning and all those curves. The autosteer technically worked but it was kind of scary letting it control as it had to constantly adjust to the curves. The experience felt similar to using the TACC for the first time, it's a little challenging trusting the car to handle something you would normally do. The autosteer felt like it would turn a little too harshly and would have to constantly correct. It was also a little late in initiating turns, similar to the lag TACC had originally. Hopefully future updates will allow it to have earlier and smoother turns without over-turning. On the 10-W it performed much better since it was mostly straight with minor deviations.

I'm more excited about the TACC improvements that have made the braking less harsh and is a little bit of a smoother ride.

I used the 110 today also, quite a wild ride! I was going over the lane markers on both sides, the car was driving like a drunk driver. Late to turn, then over correct.

In traffic TACC v7 seems improved over 6.2, I never went into Hold mode (maybe its gone?) even waiting through a whole traffic light. the old tacc would often brake and accelerate harder than I would in traffic, haven't used it enough to tell if that's improved much or not, maybe a little better.

Had a better experience with autosteer this evening too since I was in a middle lane instead of right lane most of the time so it wasn't trying to take all the offramps, like my experience at lunch when there was little traffic and in the right most lane :)