Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use autopilot in heavy traffic yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot is at its best when using the TACC sensor to follow a car. Otherwise it seems to just rely on lane markings.

It is nuts to use autopilot on higher speed two lane roads, IMO. Although it does offer the opportunity to be the first person to die in a head on collision in the new era of autonomous driving. You can be a wikipedia entry!!

Autopilot is at its best when using the TACC sensor to follow a car. Otherwise it seems to just rely on lane markings.

It is nuts to use autopilot on higher speed two lane roads, IMO. Although it does offer the opportunity to be the first person to die in a head on collision in the new era of autonomous driving. You can be a wikipedia entry!!

Once you get the hang of where it works well and where it doesn't, it is fabulous. My daily commute is 75 miles (one way), of which only about 20 is highway. One 2-lane road it works flawlessly on, the other is a bit too twisty so I get to handle that one. Just keep your hands on the wheel and AP can't do anything you don't want it to.

My experience so far is that works fantastic in stop and go traffic. The car comes to a complete stop without issue and then proceeds on it's own (when following the car in front) without any intervention. Meaning you don't have to tap the pedal or cruise stalk to continue moving. It just does it on it's own. I was in some erratic (meaning lots of braking and accelerating from cars up front) moderate speed freeway traffic a couple hours ago and I was impressed how well the AP handled. Lane keeping was spot on and TACC managed traffic nuances up front extremely well, including some heavy braking. It was the kind of traffic that you often see someone get rear ended in, and in fact exactly that happened with a car further up the road. The AP, when used cautiously, seems like it should really help in preventing you from ever rear ending a car in front of you given it's reaction time.

If you are going to nap stay in the middle lane, mine has had some confusion with onramps and offramps but center lane should be great.

Yah, I think the AI has a tendency to follow the lines on the right side of the car for reference, it gets confused when they either merge with another lane or exit.

- - - Updated - - -

I used the 110 today also, quite a wild ride! I was going over the lane markers on both sides, the car was driving like a drunk driver. Late to turn, then over correct.

I know, right. I found that if I set it to slower speeds the cars could handle the turns better, but then it's tough going 50-55 when everyone else is wanting to go faster. I'm going to wait until 7.1 before using it on the 110 again.

Day two and it handled really well on the 405 Northbound. I did notice a section of the freeway where the lane had a "concrete separation line" and the car had a hard time deciding if it should stay between the break in the concrete or the painted lines.

confused.PNG

Above is an example. As you can see, the break in the concrete is parallel with the white lines, it seems autopilot picks the break as a line occasional and attempts to correct the car. Which pushes you into the other lane.
Clearly California needs to do a better job at lane markings.

As you can see, the break in the concrete is parallel with the white lines, it seems autopilot picks the break as a line occasional and attempts to correct the car. Which pushes you into the other lane.
Clearly California needs to do a better job at lane markings.
Not sure if you're joking, but the human eye can easily tell the difference, so I would say the lane markings are fine. It's the car's job to figure it out, which I'm sure it will eventually.