Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use the Tesla recommended tire chains on a RWD Model 3?

acarney

Jul 9, 2019
Richland, WA
Curious if anyone has any experience with using the Tesla recommended tire chains (Pewag Sport RSS 76) with a RWD Model 3. I have xIce 3 tires on my SR+ right now (only had the car for a few months so far) and am considering buying the tire chains to toss in the trunk on road trips during the winter.

I've never used tire chains before, but I often didn't travel much in the winter. I love driving my Tesla so much that I'm actually thinking about taking more road trips instead of jumping on a regional flight somewhere for a weekend, etc. I'm curious how much extra traction those tire chains actually will provide, or if I'm still screwed if there is enough snow on the ground to warrant the need for chains. I know there isn't a huge amount of ground clearance with the Model 3, so would I likely benefit from or need chains with 6 to 8 inches of snow on the road? I figure more than that and there's a chance I'll just high center the car in the snow and be screwed even if I did have chains on.

I mainly just don't want to get stuck somewhere. Last car I had that I felt I could go anywhere during the winter was an AWD car. When I got my Volt lease I basically was too busy for road trips or just hunkered down during the winter and avoided mountain passes. Now with the Tesla and it being RWD I'm a little worried if I had across the Cascade Mountains (in WA state) or up to some mountain winter resorts (ski areas, etc)

David L

Jun 26, 2016
San Diego, CA
Has anyone bought and used chains that aren’t the recommended PEWAGs for a RWD Model 3?

I bought Peerless Auto-Trac chains and used them once on the roads to Big Bear in Southern CA. They worked fine, although they did scratch my 18" wheels. I wonder if the recommended ones would; based on the pictures posted on the Tesla store, I'm guessing they also would.

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC