Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use this Romex 6/3 cable during install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
50 amp downsize complete. I wish I had a torque screw driver extension though that could easily reach the square breaker screw without hitting the plastic. Eaton breakers don’t make it easy. I nearly strip the screw out every time
Ironically, related to your second point - I'm looking for a reasonably priced 3/8" torque wrench for more "fine torque range" needs to complement the giant crowbar of a 1/2" one that I've got for lug nuts and large jobs. No Chicago Tools style junk but also not looking to spend Snap On money. Does this Cinderella exist in anyones toolbox they can recommend?

Reactions: kayak1
Ironically, related to your second point - I'm looking for a reasonably priced 3/8" torque wrench for more "fine torque range" needs to complement the giant crowbar of a 1/2" one that I've got for lug nuts and large jobs. No Chicago Tools style junk but also not looking to spend Snap On money. Does this Cinderella exist in anyones toolbox they can recommend?
What range?

Park Tools has the 6.2 TW and 5.2 TW 3/8" drive.

I just got a quote from a very respected electrician and he wants to use 6/3 TCER. I thought we needed to use 4 gauge? Maybe it's about the TCER which I don't understand?
Run 6/3 TCER cable (good for up to 75 amps) from the bottom of the panel through the wall into a 1” lb under the panel inside the
garage. Run 1” conduit to the right and up into the bottom of the wall connector on the stud right of the existing receptacle per
attached diagram.—-
This will be on a 60 amp breaker and will allow charging at the max 48amp rate.—-

The need for 4 gauge on our 60A HPWCs is for 60C wires (e.g. NM-B). If your wire has a higher temp rating, e.g. 75C or 90C, it should be fine.

I'm not familiar with TC-ER, but one spec I saw indicated that it had THHN insulation. I've always see that at 90C.

Also note, you need only 2 current carrying wires (and a ground) for the HPWC. The third wire may be handy if you want the option of replacing the HPWC with a 14-50 in the future.

Reactions: mswlogo
Huh. I had not heard of TC-ER, but I found some documents, and it seems to be similar to other individual wire applications. The "TC" part stands for "tray cable", and the "ER" part is *something* raceway. I found this one specification document that lists it as being the same thing as XHHW-2, which is commonly found in ampacity tables in the 90 degrees C column.

But again, the terminals of your breaker and the receptacle or wall connector are only allowed to use the 75 degrees rating, but this TC-ER or XHHW-2 is still allowed for 65 amps in the 6 gauge size, so the amp rating seems fine. I'm just not as familiar with where exactly TC-ER is allowed to be used, as far as indoor/outdoor or wet/dry stuff.

• Informative
Reactions: Johnny Vector
First off I want to say thanks in advance because this thread is super helpful.

My question is that I originally had 6/3 wire ran in my garage and a 50 amp breaker to an NEMA outlet installed 8 years ago. However over the weekend I purchased a HPWC and replaced the NEMA outlet with this unit and them switched out the breaker from a 50 amp to 60 amp unit.

The charger works fine and has been charging at the higher 48 amp rate, but then I started the second guess what type of wire I have a can’t figure out if it’s Romex or THHN???

Google has not been helpful, so I was wondering if anyone can tell visually or what I should look for?

C71E5349-16F3-4170-A0C9-35F2C768F208.jpeg

6E1F0CD8-49F0-4F52-93BC-4CA5228D8652.jpeg

If the whole wire run for the charging circuit is in conduit (not just a short section to protect the wiring in the garage) then it would not be NM-B, i.e Romex, the wire used is probably THHN. NM-B is not normally run in conduit but NM-B can be installed inside conduit for extra protection where needed.

If the whole wire run for the charging circuit is in conduit (not just a short section to protect the wiring in the garage) then it would not be NM-B, i.e Romex, the wire used is probably THHN. NM-B is not normally run in conduit but NM-B can be installed inside conduit for extra protection when needed.
yes the entire run is in metal conduit. however, I just looked in the basement by the panel and crap it say NM-B.

"encore wire corp 6/3 w/g type nm-b 660v (UL)"

I assume I should switch back to the original 50 amp break or will I be ok?

Attachments

• tempImagek5FvMQ.png
    tempImagek5FvMQ.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 32
Reactions: TBrownTX
There should be no debate. The circuit breaker must be no more than 50A as there is no available 55A breaker. For a 50A circuit, breaker the Wall Connector must be set for 50A and will automatically limit the charging current to 40A. You should not rely on the vehicle charging amperage setting to limit the maximum safe charging current for the charging circuit, only lower the charging current below the safe maximum if needed.

but then I started the second guess what type of wire I have a can’t figure out if it’s Romex or THHN???

Google has not been helpful, so I was wondering if anyone can tell visually or what I should look for?
That is perfect that you posted pictures then. That is definitely NM-B (known as Romex)
As for what to look for, do you see that black rubber sheath that is holding all of the wires tightly together? That's what shows that it is Romex cable. That word cable usually is the term for a bundle of wires together. If it were THHN, that would just be a few of the individual wires just sitting loose in the conduit--they would not have that black shrink wrap covering.

I assume I should switch back to the original 50 amp break or will I be ok?
Yeah, using it as a 60A circuit doesn't comply with the rated amp limit for 6 gauge Romex, so I would recommend switching that setting back to 50A.

I understand that, but have seen the debate if you should let the charger electronically throttle or go with what the wire is rated up to which is 55 amps???

ugh, not sure what I should do.

It's a very, very easy answer, but you're asking the wrong question

The question you should be asking is: "Why do I want it to be a 60A circuit?"

I have mine downrated (and placarded :rolleyes: ) to 30A. Why? Because I go to sleep for 8 hours every night and that's more than enough time for a top up at 30A

I did it after doing a load calculation (did you do one?) but also the lower current is just easier all round on the equipment

So unless you're driving a taxi and need to be constantly charging back up and/or have to get it done ASAP, forget about running at 60A

@vesder21 strange that they pulled NM-B in conduit the entire way... Could always pull it out and pull THHN through the conduit... I think.
it's a pretty long run. from my basement panel on one side to the other and then up a floor and around two sides of the garage so I think I will just put the NEMA 14-50 back and then do a second run myself.

this way I can reuse the 60A breaker and wall charger that I purchased.

any links or suggestions for the better THHN wire???

It's a very, very easy answer, but you're asking the wrong question

The question you should be asking is: "Why do I want it to be a 60A circuit?"

I have mine downrated (and placarded :rolleyes: ) to 30A. Why? Because I go to sleep for 8 hours every night and that's more than enough time for a top up at 30A

I did it after doing a load calculation (did you do one?) but also the lower current is just easier all round on the equipment

So unless you're driving a taxi and need to be constantly charging back up and/or have to get it done ASAP, forget about running at 60A
we have multiple cars so have been charging one via the mobile charger (12 amps) so in the case that both are low I can charge one up quicker prior to bed and then switch with the other vehicle.

I will just run a second line so one will be 48 amps and then other 40.