Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone use this Romex 6/3 cable during install?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That can’t be to code. You can’t install a 3 phase receptacle and feed it single phase power. Do you know what three phase power is? Can you give us a picture of the receptacle (unplugged) so we can make sure it is a 15-60?
The receptacle is being feed all three conductors, I think, I didn't watch them install it. The third conductor is capped in the wall charger.

Attachments

• 20211206_215901.jpg
    20211206_215901.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 124
  • 20211206_220118.jpg
    20211206_220118.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20211206_220720.jpg
    20211206_220720.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 78
The receptacle is being feed all three conductors, I think, I didn't watch them install it. The third conductor is capped in the wall charger.
Wow, that is an incorrectly wired 3 phase plug since your home obviously doesn’t have three phase power. The electrician just hacked something together. On top of the incorrect use of 6/3 Romex. To do things properly, you should rip out the 15-60, put in a proper disconnect box, use a 50 amp breaker, direct connect the wall connector, set wall connector to output a max of 40 amps. Or pull a new 6/2 70 ampacity wire and do the above.

Wow, that is an incorrectly wired 3 phase plug since your home obviously doesn’t have three phase power. The electrician just hacked something together. On top of the incorrect use of 6/3 Romex. To do things properly, you should rip out the 15-60, put in a proper disconnect box, use a 50 amp breaker, direct connect the wall connector, set wall connector to output a max of 40 amps. Or pull a new 6/2 70 ampacity wire and do the above.
It's reassuring to know I would have gotten it more right than the guy I paid. *sarcasm* 🤦‍♂️

@Cosmacelf I am really glad you asked about the 15-60 and got the details of this revealed of how terrible this was. I didn't even bat an eye at it and never asked, because I am so used to people's typos and misspellings of outlet names that I just assumed it was a typo like the thousands of others on this forum and meant 14-50 and so didn't think it needed any follow-up.

@Cosmacelf I am really glad you asked about the 15-60 and got the details of this revealed of how terrible this was. I didn't even bat an eye at it and never asked, because I am so used to people's typos and misspellings of outlet names that I just assumed it was a typo like the thousands of others on this forum and meant 14-50 and so didn't think it needed any follow-up.

I was wondering why you weren’t chiming in 😄

That spool of wire is now $775.00.
Uh, OK, prices are bad, but not that *that* bad. That's just a weird pricing artifact. You can get the same romex from Home Depot in a 125ft roll for about double the price per foot from what it was 1.5 years ago.

Reactions: JeffnReno
It's reassuring to know I would have gotten it more right than the guy I paid. *sarcasm* 🤦‍♂️

Yes. I've done a lot of home remodels over the years and one of the reasons why I hire contractors is that I'd like to be able to use their experience in things I don't know much about. Ideally, they'd come up with better solutions and/or know more about engineering details and craftsmanship.

It feels like only about half the sub contractors have been up to snuff over the years. The other half make mistakes. And it is the electricians who seem to make the most. Their designs can be half baked. Lazy wire routing in an attic that gets walked in all the time. Improper load calculations. Stupid things like putting a 15A GFCI receptacles onto a dedicated 20A breaker circuit. For literally years I've been asking different electricians to help me figure out how to redo my main panel load center which was a horrible 150A/200A split load panel which an earlier electrician messed up after a major remodel/addition (basically overloaded the 200A part). My savior came in the form of a Spanish only speaking electrician who did beautiful work and rationalized the whole mess in a very good design that apparently no other electrician could figure out.

Uh, OK, prices are bad, but not that *that* bad. That's just a weird pricing artifact. You can get the same romex from Home Depot in a 125ft roll for about double the price per foot from what it was 1.5 years ago.

Wire prices are the reason I'm not installing another NEMA 14-50 for the wife's new Y. Plus I'm renting the place out in 7 months. I'll live on a 110 20A. I ride a bike to work anyway.

Oh, so my latest post above was supposed to have one more coda. It is the very fact that many electricians make mistakes that I am not one of those guys that counsels do it yourselfers to hire licensed electricians for relatively simple jobs, like installing a Wall Connector. That's what the Internet and forums are all about. Ordinary people can research how to do things and then ask questions on forums.