Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone Used Boom EV Car Insurance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M3P_W8

2021 M3P
Jan 12, 2021
UK
Would anyone be able to share their experience using Boom EV Car Insurance?

Not wishing to start another 'my premium has skyrocketed' thread, but I have seen my M3P premium go up from £400 in 2021 to £480 in 2022. My existing insurer, Churchill, has quoted £780 to renew again and this is on a par with Admiral. To be completely honest the £400/£480 premiums always felt like a steal given the performance so I'm not going to complain too much.

By far my best renewal quote was found through MoneySupermarket with Boom EV Plus at around £640 for the next year.

I've done the usual Google and identified that the Boom Plus product is 5* defaqto rated. It would seem that one downside is having to communicate with them through Chat on browser or App (no phone) which I guess could be an irritation under certain circumstances.

I'd be grateful if there are any past or existing Boom EV insurance customers frequenting this forum that would be happy to share their experiences, good or bad.

Would anyone be able to share their experience using Boom EV Car Insurance?

Not wishing to start another 'my premium has skyrocketed' thread, but I have seen my M3P premium go up from £400 in 2021 to £480 in 2022. My existing insurer, Churchill, has quoted £780 to renew again and this is on a par with Admiral. To be completely honest the £400/£480 premiums always felt like a steal given the performance so I'm not going to complain too much.

By far my best renewal quote was found through MoneySupermarket with Boom EV Plus at around £640 for the next year.

I've done the usual Google and identified that the Boom Plus product is 5* defaqto rated. It would seem that one downside is having to communicate with them through Chat on browser or App (no phone) which I guess could be an irritation under certain circumstances.

I'd be grateful if there are any past or existing Boom EV insurance customers frequenting this forum that would be happy to share their experiences, good or bad.
they quoted me 3.5k now :D

After my last years ICE insurance experience with a small insurance company (not same one as here) that at the time seemed to tick all the right boxes I would be very hesitant to directly use any of them again.

I got well and truly shafted after notifying them of a change of circumstances - a named driver (who has their own insurance on their own different car) going from student to employed. They gave me 2 hours to accept their new price (a ~£900 price hike for 5 months pro-rata ) or would cancel my policy. I very much got the impression that the staff plucked numbers out of the air depending on what commission they wanted to earn rather than have a centralised pricing model.

Last edited:
Looked at them a while back when renewing, and was about to go with them until when checking out on their website, one of their requirements is that you have to have a Thatchcam tracker and subscription. Also looking at some reviews, their online chat only system isn't the best...

I ended up sticking with Admiral after calling them, complaining about the price, and tweaking the insurance policy a little, it came in £20 cheaper than the previous year.

• Informative
Reactions: M3P_W8
Looked at them a while back when renewing, and was about to go with them until when checking out on their website, one of their requirements is that you have to have a Thatchcam tracker and subscription. Also looking at some reviews, their online chat only system isn't the best...

I ended up sticking with Admiral after calling them, complaining about the price, and tweaking the insurance policy a little, it came in £20 cheaper than the previous year.
This. I have been with Admiral for years. Every year they bump it up. every year I call them and they bring it down again.

Reactions: Adopado
My renewal with Direct Line is up and my premium has gone from £800 to £1250 (no claims made this year etc). Did a moneysupermarket search and the best was Adrmial at £1150. Why? Garbage. Yet another thing we are getting ripped off for.

Not sure what else I can do now other then pester Direct Line to drop the price?

Not sure what else I can do now other then pester Direct Line to drop the price?

Have you done a fresh DL online quote to compare with.

Last couple of years DL put price up. Did online like for like quotes which came out much less. A short chat or phone call later, DL honoured the new quotes no quibble. So much for there not allowed to be new customer discounts applied these days - I suspect that is why they do not quibble.

Unfortunately DL not the only one. Seems to be common practice having to challenge renewal quotes these days and saving a considerable amount in doing so, often cheaper than previous years.

• Informative
Reactions: Doudeau
Have you done a fresh DL online quote to compare with.

Last couple of years DL put price up. Did online like for like quotes which came out much less. A short chat or phone call later, DL honoured the new quotes no quibble. So much for there not allowed to be new customer discounts applied these days - I suspect that is why they do not quibble.

Unfortunately DL not the only one. Seems to be common practice having to challenge renewal quotes these days and saving a considerable amount in doing so, often cheaper than previous years.
Just tried that and it came back as £1650! It's going up not down :oops:

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger

Thanks - Just taken a look through their policy document and it does indeed state (on P.26) that 'Your vehicle must be fitted with a Thatcham approved tracking device'

Appreciate all the replies. Looks like I'm back to putting the same information into multiple websites again!