Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using 3 car seats (Diono RadianRXTs?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
or just making sure the seatbelt is clicked, regardless of whether it's performing a functional role securing the carseat.

Interesting... In all my time complaining to Tesla about Leg Crushing Mode, they never mentioned that the seatbelt could act as a signal that there is someone back there. Of course my X just went to the shop for the umpteenth time for FWD issues, so I can't test the theory out yet.

To answer my original post that started this discussion, we have been using 2 Diono Radian RXTs in the 2nd row for many months now, and they have been working out great, with the third seat currently being a Graco infant carseat holder. I imagine soon we will be swapping that out for a third Diono, and the real test will begin.

Hoping the third row becomes a viable option for our older toddlers soon, as our adult family/friends dread having to ride in the third row -- feels pretty claustrophobic riding back there and the spoiler noise is a bit louder than expected.

For what it's worth, I'm planning to get two Britax Clicktights for the 3rd row of a 7-seater due next month. The smallest two ride back there and the 11y old rides in the middle row (sometimes with grandparents). On family trips, all kids move to the 2nd row and the gear goes behind them.

Hi, could you upload photos for what carseat config you ended up using?

Thanks!

I have not actually installed 3 of them, but the Diono will fit 3 wide in the MX without any issues. Here's why...

1. We installed our Diono in the outer most seat originally. The installation did not interfere with any of the seat movement and was able to move freely. Both the seat it was on, and the adjacent seat were allowed full range of movement. It was an easy installation using the latch anchors. (With a base pad, it exceeds the width of the seat and will restrict movement)

2. We then moved our Diono into the middle seat of a 7 seater. It was also able to move freely as the car seat never exceeded the width of the seat. This allowed 2 adult passengers to sit comfortably in the outer seats.

My logic is that if the seat is able to move freely (all the way forward & back) in both configurations, it should fit fine. Supported by the fact that 2 adults were comfortable back there and didn't feel as if they were crushed. One thing to note is that the middle seat is a difficult seat belt installation on the Diono. I can get those in tight using the latch anchors but it was a struggle with the seat belt. The movement wasn't horrendous, but enough for me to be dissatisfied and ultimately moved it back to the outer seats.

Reactions: DiamondHands
I use the Diono in the middle, and installed with the seat belt and the top tether there is very little movement with the car seat. It fits within the width of the middle seat, so the side seats have 100% movement for getting people into the rear or for having an adult sit next to the car seat. Compared to other ones we had, this is much more narrow and much more comfortable for an adult to sit next to a car seat.

Sadly though, if you use a car seat and install it in the middle seat, the car incorrectly thinks someone is sitting there (pressure sensor + the fact the seat belt is latched) so it doesn't want to let you move the middle seat forward completely if you are going to carry something large in the trunk without a kid in the seat. Also, it incorrectly warns you if the side seats are forward for carrying large things as an occupied seat not being latched correctly every time you switch between drive and reverse. Really annoying, but the service center says nothing to do except hope they release a software update.

If you do need the middle row moved forward completely, you have to unhook the middle car seat and reinstall it again once you are done transporting your cargo. Really annoying, because the middle seat could go 100% forward and the car seat won't bump into anything, it just won't let you override its safety feature.

Hi, could you upload photos for what carseat config you ended up using?

Thanks!

Hi. Because the two smallest kids are always with us but the older child rides less often, we ended up moving the two carseats into the wing positions in the middle row and leaving the center spot for the 12y old (he doesn't mind - all short trips anyway). We also keep the third row folded down for storage and only use them for grandparent visits. For a brief time we did have the carseats in the third row and there were no issues with it b/c the kids can buckle/unbuckle themselves and crawl up. I think that arrangement would be better for the 6-seater. More importantly, the Britax were narrow enough to offer that option.

Finally got around to taking pictures during daytime of the Diono car seat in the middle seat in the middle row, next to an infant carrier. Works great. I even tested it out next to our old reverse facing convertible car seat, which will be our second kid's next seat. Once our second kid is old enough for front facing, I'll probably swap in for a second Diono. I didn't care for how the Diono's rear facing was.

diono2.jpg diono3.jpg diono4.jpg diono1.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: MonkeyTOGA
Reviving an old thread here — does anyone have recommendations for non-convertible (front facing only) car seats for the X that are not bulky and work well in both the 2nd and 3rd rows?

We just replaced our Diono with the Chicco Myfit Harness+Booster. It’s low enough for our kids to climb in, secured nice and tightly and has and adjustable base to get it aligned right.

We just replaced our Diono with the Chicco Myfit Harness+Booster. It’s low enough for our kids to climb in, secured nice and tightly and has and adjustable base to get it aligned right.
Thanks! Do you know if that’s less bulky than the Diono? We have the similar Chico right now, but the concetable one and it’s quite bulky so the kids legs don’t fit too well in 3rd row.

Thanks! Do you know if that’s less bulky than the Diono? We have the similar Chico right now, but the concetable one and it’s quite bulky so the kids legs don’t fit too well in 3rd row.

We have the convertible one too. Its great for when they’re small, especially in rear facing. We preferred that over the Diono rear facing. For front facing, the Diono had less front to back bulk and less bottom base bulk but was pretty thick up top in the shoulders compared to the convetible.

Compared to this one, this one gives the most leg room. The Diono is lower to the seat, but is at a fixed angle which pushes it forward. Being adjustable allows this to be situated better. The base in general also larger than the Diono and carries a similar footprint to the convertible. Overall it fits pretty perfectly against the 2nd row seat, same width and depth essentially. Its technically more bulky than the Diono but I feel it fits better and offers more room due to the adjustability.

Some pictures may help...
5BBAB81C-82D4-42DB-8FEF-7532FA8BCCB9.jpeg 015C6FAB-DEA8-47AB-8CC1-22EC227A9ABE.jpeg

Reactions: Mr_B
We have the convertible one too. Its great for when they’re small, especially in rear facing. We preferred that over the Diono rear facing. For front facing, the Diono had less front to back bulk and less bottom base bulk but was pretty thick up top in the shoulders compared to the convetible.

Compared to this one, this one gives the most leg room. The Diono is lower to the seat, but is at a fixed angle which pushes it forward. Being adjustable allows this to be situated better. The base in general also larger than the Diono and carries a similar footprint to the convertible. Overall it fits pretty perfectly against the 2nd row seat, same width and depth essentially. Its technically more bulky than the Diono but I feel it fits better and offers more room due to the adjustability.

Some pictures may help...
View attachment 328558 View attachment 328559
Hi @Yinn
Thanks for the photos
Would 2 of these fit in the 3rd row?

Hi @Yinn
Thanks for the photos
Would 2 of these fit in the 3rd row?

Easily. They fit better than the Diono and better than the Chicco Nextfit Zip (convertible) It’s getting late by me so the lighting isn’t the best, but I just grabbed these so you can see.

Seat down, you can see it doesn’t cross over on the bottom.
797C60D0-8428-4E9D-ABA0-D552DDCFB5EA.jpeg

Seat up, you can see it doesn’t cross over on the top.
A91481BF-9E13-4A2F-B9C7-0A74F6459DA3.jpeg

Confirmed nice and level:
970C60BA-0BF1-4738-AFAC-348278C9DF64.jpeg

No rubbing on the headrest:
D31A9D59-0E5C-403F-9DA5-08A88B6DCF2B.jpeg

I put a paper towel roll in between for contrast, but the car seat doesn’t touch the side either. There’s a good 2-3 inches of space. That roll went in and out easily.
0372DD4C-A2CB-4F2A-91E9-6D8404AA4B06.jpeg

The 2nd row is moved all the way back in this picture. You can see there’s still a gap, where it would crush the Nextfit Zip. You can also see it doesn’t extend much further than the 3rd row seats themselves.
E8BDA94F-E540-440F-89F6-0439D56168A6.jpeg

The only thing I recommend is to get the LE. The regular model doesn’t come with the supercinch. I can still get it right, but moving it is a little more painful and takes an extra minute. (Which is why I only show one)

Lastly, does anyone have a contact at Chicco? I’d like to collect a commission check now...or at least get some freebies.

You rock! Thanks for the super detailed response and photos. I’m convinced.

Easily. They fit better than the Diono and better than the Chicco Nextfit Zip (convertible) It’s getting late by me so the lighting isn’t the best, but I just grabbed these so you can see.

Seat down, you can see it doesn’t cross over on the bottom.
View attachment 328608

Seat up, you can see it doesn’t cross over on the top.
View attachment 328609

Confirmed nice and level:
View attachment 328610

No rubbing on the headrest:
View attachment 328611

I put a paper towel roll in between for contrast, but the car seat doesn’t touch the side either. There’s a good 2-3 inches of space. That roll went in and out easily.
View attachment 328612

The 2nd row is moved all the way back in this picture. You can see there’s still a gap, where it would crush the Nextfit Zip. You can also see it doesn’t extend much further than the 3rd row seats themselves.
View attachment 328613

The only thing I recommend is to get the LE. The regular model doesn’t come with the supercinch. I can still get it right, but moving it is a little more painful and takes an extra minute. (Which is why I only show one)

Lastly, does anyone have a contact at Chicco? I’d like to collect a commission check now...or at least get some freebies.

Hi @Yinn - wow thanks so much for taking the time to post the photos!

You rock! Thanks for the super detailed response and photos. I’m convinced.
Hi @Yinn - wow thanks so much for taking the time to post the photos!

@Yinn I've got my Chicco Myfit LE, just need to install it now :)

You’re both welcome. The supercinch should make the install about a 30second job. Definitely one feature I loved on my Nextfit Zip, that my non LE doesn’t have.

I have mine set at recline 4 in the 3rd row, and 2 in the middle row (6 seater monoposts)

Post some pictures when you get yours in :)

@Yinn - Only have two photos right now, but shows the before/after of the reversible and the new one. Love the supercinch (which I have on both). Since we often move the seat from the 2nd row to 3rd if we've got visitors in town or are going on a road trip, it makes it super easy to move the seat around.
IMG-2122.JPG IMG-2123.JPG

Have any of you tried this Chicco MyFit harness+booster in booster mode? Does the seat buckle reach easily? I have a new model X, 6 seat configuration and current car seat does not allow it to be used in booster mode because the seat belt won't latch (partially covered).

You’re both welcome. The supercinch should make the install about a 30second job. Definitely one feature I loved on my Nextfit Zip, that my non LE doesn’t have.

I have mine set at recline 4 in the 3rd row, and 2 in the middle row (6 seater monoposts)

Post some pictures when you get yours in :)

Have any of you tried this Chicco MyFit harness+booster in booster mode? Does the seat buckle reach easily? I have a new model X, 6 seat configuration and current car seat does not allow it to be used in booster mode because the seat belt won't latch (partially covered).