Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using 3 car seats (Diono RadianRXTs?)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are strongly considering buying 3 Diono RadianRXT car seats, as we've been doing some research and they seem most likely to fit in the 2nd row and have good reviews in general.

Anyone have this configuration working in the 2nd row? Or with any other seats?

The other headache we have is with the tethers. We have two Graco seats, and the rear tether barely reaches on one, and doesn't reach at all with the other, and they both tend to slide off the top of the seat in the 2nd row. I'm wondering if the Diono seats support "dual strap" tethers that can go around the headrest and actually reach the latches at the rear/bottom of the 2nd row seats?

The push to try and get the 3 car seats in the 2nd row comes after having a bad experience with the way the 2nd row operates against the third row with a car seat, with what I like to call "Leg Crushing Mode":

I took the X to the service center for this issue, and they agree it's a problem and are filing a bug report, but who knows when or if it will get fixed. (Hopefully it won't wait until a kid gets injured back there!)

• Helpful
Reactions: Cowby
We have two britax car seats.
I've run into some of the same problems, but you can kill two birds with one stone.

The rear tether does not go over the top / shoulders of the seat -- they want to slide down to the sides. Turns out that if you just let them slide down to the sides, they still anchor the top of the seat quite well, AND you don't need as much length on the rear tether.

The 2nd row seats don't seem to "remember" their position when you move them out of the way. Annoying, but will probably be fixed via software.

With kids in the back, I also notice that the power window lock setting is not "remembered" either, and every time we get in the car I have to remember to lock it otherwise the kids keep playing with the windows.

Reactions: Jon
I have 2 RadianRXTs, but my X is still at the detailer getting wrapped. :(

Will post pics once I get it back next week.

Tesla should really partner with a childseat manufacturer. Would definitely pay a premium for something that fits perfectly.

I just did a road trip with 3 Radians across the backseat of my Model S with no issues. We usually have them 3 across in a Q5. I would guess they fit in the X but I'm having a hard time finding comparative measurements.

I see you're in SoCal - if convenient, happy to try to put them in your X as a test fit. I am looking to see how an X fits in my garage so it would be a fair trade. :)

We are strongly considering buying 3 Diono RadianRXT car seats, as we've been doing some research and they seem most likely to fit in the 2nd row and have good reviews in general.

Anyone have this configuration working in the 2nd row? Or with any other seats?

The other headache we have is with the tethers. We have two Graco seats, and the rear tether barely reaches on one, and doesn't reach at all with the other, and they both tend to slide off the top of the seat in the 2nd row. I'm wondering if the Diono seats support "dual strap" tethers that can go around the headrest and actually reach the latches at the rear/bottom of the 2nd row seats?

The push to try and get the 3 car seats in the 2nd row comes after having a bad experience with the way the 2nd row operates against the third row with a car seat, with what I like to call "Leg Crushing Mode":

I took the X to the service center for this issue, and they agree it's a problem and are filing a bug report, but who knows when or if it will get fixed. (Hopefully it won't wait until a kid gets injured back there!)

Not sure if you read the owner's manual (I admittedly haven't!) but there is a section on child tethers and where to place them for each seat in the vehicle. It also discusses single-strap vs. dual-strap tethers.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 3.04.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 3.04.59 PM.png
    195.6 KB · Views: 277
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 3.05.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-08 at 3.05.15 PM.png
    396.5 KB · Views: 192
Not sure if you read the owner's manual (I admittedly haven't!) but there is a section on child tethers and where to place them for each seat in the vehicle. It also discusses single-strap vs. dual-strap tethers.

Particularly for a car of the Model X's complexity I highly recommend the manual! I read it twice before getting Merlin and again after getting Merlin and still occasionally refer to sections from the car (having read it on the PDF, I know what to expect and where to find details I'm looking for).

I also highly recommend 'Owning Model S' which you can buy/download from Evvannex.com. It should, perhaps, be retitled 'Owning Tesla' and have sections for the unique aspects of S/X and 3 (and eventually the new Roadster)

I have been wanting to ask people on this forum. I will be ordering my X soon and planning for 7 seat configuration. I have two boys 6 and 4 year olds. We are expecting our third one in Sept 2016. I wanted a seven seater with the intention of seating 6 and 4 year olds in third row and new born in the center of middle row seat. Please give me your inputs

This is exactly what I am planning. The 5yr old and 2 yr old will be in at car seats in the 3rd row (extreme right/left sides) and the 4 month old will be in a rear facing seat in the center seat 2nd row. Hopefully we will be receiving our 7 seater X next month and can provide some positive feedback.

My recommendation is to go to your closest Tesla store with the car-seats and try the 6 and 7 seater. Xs are beginning to show up, and you may find the 6-seat more convenient. You'll be able to access the 3rd row easier and there is better visibility. Also, you may not be able to fit your car-seat in the middle 2nd row (it is more narrow). Or just wait for @ohmman to respond. He is the car-seat guru in this forum.

Those guys are H-E-A-V-Y. ... how's the seat (depressions) holding up?
I have gone through 4 seat protectors, they all suck (too wide), and ... *might* unknown / conflict with the side-collision air bags.
Any recommendations?

Coming from a Model S with this seat installed for 1.5 years, I can say it's not going to be pretty. But that's the trade off with having kids. ;)

I use the front license plate holder to protect the headrest a bit. It's hard enough to get the latch connectors in place as it is. Having a seat protector would make it almost impossible I think.

My recommendation is to go to your closest Tesla store with the car-seats and try the 6 and 7 seater. Xs are beginning to show up, and you may find the 6-seat more convenient. You'll be able to access the 3rd row easier and there is better visibility. Also, you may not be able to fit your car-seat in the middle 2nd row (it is more narrow). Or just wait for @ohmman to respond. He is the car-seat guru in this forum.

Agree. Definitely see the 6 and 7 seat versions in person before deciding. I was firmly in the 7 seat camp but changed my order after seeing both in person. 3rd row accessibility and functionality, and 2nd row middle seat dimensions are things you should see in person.

I'm not sure why @vandacca gave me the title of car seat guru, but I appreciate the vote of misguided confidence.

I have a 6-seat X so I can't measure the ability to fit three-across. As a parent, I can strongly advise against it. But that's a completely different story.

How about this configuration: two seats in the middle row - center and driver side. One seat in the far back on the passenger side. Why this configuration? Well, when you have less than three children with you, you'll potentially be able to use both middle row seats, and they'll be closer to the driver's side. (It's possible your kids have different seat sizings, etc, so discount at will). When you need to add the third child, you will go to the passenger side to load the third row and "leg crushing" will not be an issue since the seats fan forward. The spacing would be better, and the cranky one can go in the way back. Not that you have cranky kids. I'm thinking of my own experiences, of course. Your children are lovely human beings.

I think this will give you some wiggle room with spacing as well, though you'll have to contend with nasty indentations in your seat bolsters. What do you think?

• Funny
Reactions: Cowby
I'm not sure why @vandacca gave me the title of car seat guru, but I appreciate the vote of misguided confidence.

I have a 6-seat X so I can't measure the ability to fit three-across. As a parent, I can strongly advise against it. But that's a completely different story.

How about this configuration: two seats in the middle row - center and driver side. One seat in the far back on the passenger side. Why this configuration? Well, when you have less than three children with you, you'll potentially be able to use both middle row seats, and they'll be closer to the driver's side. (It's possible your kids have different seat sizings, etc, so discount at will). When you need to add the third child, you will go to the passenger side to load the third row and "leg crushing" will not be an issue since the seats fan forward. The spacing would be better, and the cranky one can go in the way back. Not that you have cranky kids. I'm thinking of my own experiences, of course. Your children are lovely human beings.

I think this will give you some wiggle room with spacing as well, though you'll have to contend with nasty indentations in your seat bolsters. What do you think?

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. The reason I was planning to keep older ones in third row and the baby in the middle of second row (securing the seat with seat belt); is that I can have adults sitting in outer seats of second row. I'm not sure if it will cramp the adult?!??
One of the problems I'm presuming placing an infant seat in third row is difficulty in accessing even with falcon wing doors.

Our Model X, 7 seat configured will accommodate our three kids, ages, 3, 2 and 8 weeks in the following ways.

We just bought another seat of car seats and so we've been experimenting. Here's what we found:
Other options that we've tried that work would include,
  • One Britax in the third row (you can then fold the other for more storage),
  • the other Britax in ROW TWO side seat
  • the Chicco one in ROW TWO side seat
Here is the issue with three across. There is slight overlap of the carseats and the seat protectors if you put 3 in one row in ROW TWO. If you need to access the third row (e.g. for your guests), there is an issue. The seats in ROW TWO all move in a slightly diagonal fashion causing the car seats to twist. This can't be good for the motorized system. It may work without the Brica Elite Seat Guardian, but I doubt it and wouldn't risk not having a protector beneath.

We also have two Clek Foonf that we will try - they are the most narrow seats on the market but quite heavy.

Let me know if you'd like pics of this setup or other questions. It's certainly a beautiful crossover vs. SUV :)
randy

• Helpful
Reactions: ohmman
Leg crushing mode has been a killer. The only solution is to get the kids to put their legs up in the car seat while the 2nd row seats do their crushing maneuver, then adjust them forward, and then let the kids put their legs down again. I've got 2 kids in the 3rd row, and a 3rd kid in the 2nd row (passenger side, so the driver can have full leg room to drive). It is far more difficult to manage the kids in the X than it is in the S with rear-facing seats.

• Informative
Reactions: jeffaa
It is far more difficult to manage the kids in the X than it is in the S with rear-facing seats.[/QUOTE]

It concerns ma also. I am about to order X for the same reason of easy accessibility with kids. I have two son and having a third one in September. Please elaborate the reason.
I am also debating 6 vs 7 seats. I am going to take car seats and kids and try it out at a Tesla Center