Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using Auto Park feature?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed there hasn't been a posting regarding Auto Parking in almost a year. Either it's working great for everyone...or no one is using it.

I've had my Model 3 for 2 years and never tried Auto Park until this week. I thought I might as well try it to parallel park against a curb. I pulled up to the correct position and initiated Auto Parking. The car began to back up and continued right into the curb. Luckily it was as such a sharp angle that it didn't scrape up my custom rims. It was only embarrassing due to the people standing on the sidewalk looking at me like I was a student driver. I turned off Auto Park and parked manually w/o an issue.

Is it not meant to be used when a curb is present? Most parallel parking I see is exactly that.

Thanks.
-Larry

Reactions: X-pilot
If parallel parking then it comes in handy because I just don't do it that much to be good. But standard perpendicular parking? Very rarely. It just takes too long. What happens more often than not is a car comes zooming up the lane and then the driver gets really annoyed that you are taking so long to get the car landed and you know they are thinking that driver's ed programs should really be expanded in this country.

Reactions: Aellinsar
I’ve tried to try it many times, but it has never once showed me the symbol P to indicate self parking. Actually, not true, I did see it twice but both times I was in traffic waiting for a light, not parking. So in almost two years, never once has parked itself perpendicularly or parallel. Failed feature for me. But I can park myself pretty well so I don’t car all that much.

I use it every time I Supercharge and need to back in between two other Teslas. Slow is better than scraping someone else's car. I also use it for parallel parking. Same issue, I'd rather have slow than hitting someone else's bumper. [Sorry, after 40 years of driving my ability to judge close distances is not going to improve.]