Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using Autopilot to reverse park Tesla in your Garage???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife and I are building a new home with 3 car garage, and two of the stalls will be wired to charge electric cars. I've been thinking through placement of the NEMA outlets, and as we enter the electrical install this week I was thinking that I will be using self park features down the road to have my Tesla back itself into my garage so that in the morning I can drive forward to leave for work. Anyone else doing this and if so how are they liking it? Thanks for your input. (leaning toward putting outlets at back of garage to charge with Tesla's parked in reverse)

My wife and I are building a new home with 3 car garage, and two of the stalls will be wired to charge electric cars. I've been thinking through placement of the NEMA outlets, and as we enter the electrical install this week I was thinking that I will be using self park features down the road to have my Tesla back itself into my garage so that in the morning I can drive forward to leave for work. Anyone else doing this and if so how are they liking it? Thanks for your input. (leaning toward putting outlets at back of garage to charge with Tesla's parked in reverse)

Autopark only seems to work well if there are other cars in the garage. With no other cars (or walls) to define the space it will center itself on the opening. Perhaps Tesla could come up with a centering device we could mount on the back wall for the car to align its self with? That would be cool.

Reactions: DrivingTheFuture
That feature is called "Summon" and is part of the Autopilot suite of features. It works but it tries to center the car between two objects (the other car and a wall or post for example) so it doesn't work for me because I like to park as far away as possible from our other car to avoid door dings and allow walking room between cars therefore I park manually. Incidentally, I believe the newest chargers allow for piggybacking which might mean you could get away with just one outlet. Others might know more on this though.

Summons works well for me too. My office parking space provides terrific protection from other cars, but it's between two huuuuge structural support pillar/beam things. I've got about 10 actual inches on each side, but it looks like 1/2 inch from behind the wheel.

I only use auto park for fun, and only when I visit the Tesla SvC. lol