Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using Chffr or Dash to help gather data for Comma.ai?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://comma.ai/

Chffr for Android and Dash for iOS are applications that are used to collect road data for the comma.ai autonomous vehicle control system that is supposed to be sold late 2016 or early 2017 for $999 + $24/mo. Early release is only for folks driving an Acura with lane keeping assistance included in the car, but future versions should work on more models and makes of car.

I think it is an interesting concept, and I needed a dashcam for my car, to this seems to solve both at the same time. I have an old iPhone that I don't use but the wifi still works for uploading the data after a drive.

Comma.ai will ship a $999 autonomous driving add-on by the end of this year

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
I ran across this interesting article on the subject of comma.ai...

How Safe and Affordable Is the $999* Comma One Semi-autonomous Driving Device?

Interesting how it's priced:

"At the lowest end of the price spectrum, a potential Comma One customer will be looking at $999 for the system, $288 for a year of service, and at least $1,000 more in options on their Civic, which amounts to a first year cost of $2,287 — or more than double the promised sub-$1.000 cost. In comparison, Tesla’s Autopilot suite runs $3,000 at time of order or $3,500 to enable it at any point after purchase and has no recurring costs."

I thought the author got a bit crazy with his price comparisons. Most folks who are buying this are not looking at the cost of the Honda Sense package as part of the comma.ai cost. I agree its a bit convoluted in that part of the sensor package initially is part of the car. So for these early adopters, if you have the car you can buy the system, but if you don't and you go out and buy a Honda Civic, I don't think the Sense package cost is really part of the autopilot...but it is confusing. I don't think many folks are going to go out and buy a car so that they can get this device. More likely that if you have the car already and you hear about it, you might order one.

In my case, I have an old 2002 Honda Insight, which clearly does not have any of these sensor packages. But I've been running the app as a dash cam, and if version 2 comes with all the sensors needed, then I might put it on the Insight to see how it works. For me, it is just interesting to see how this small company is doing working on an autopilot system in the aftermarket space.

Reactions: GoTslaGo
I find it fascinating how the price point is a little cheaper initially, and ultimately with the subscription model is actually more expensive with comma.ai. It also provides a nice perspective in how much value AutoPilot really is (which is a point I've been making since the beginning).

Also couldn't help reading some of the snarky comments:

"coma.ai" -- as in if I use your product I will be in a coma.:rolleyes:

ok, it was kinda witty...

So you're going to buy a car with lane keep assist to hack it so that it can have lane keep assist? I'm confused.
Yep. I'm driving a 2002 Honda Insight for my long drives right now, but I've wanted to change it for a 4 seat car so that I can also use my long distance commuter car for family errands as well (I now have 2 young children to haul around). So I'm going to purchase a Honda Civic Touring, which is the car that comma.ai has designed the system around. This will give me a long distance commuter with an auto pilot system similar to Tesla v7 according to reports from reviewers like Alex Roy of theDrive.

Yep. I'm driving a 2002 Honda Insight for my long drives right now, but I've wanted to change it for a 4 seat car so that I can also use my long distance commuter car for family errands as well (I now have 2 young children to haul around). So I'm going to purchase a Honda Civic Touring, which is the car that comma.ai has designed the system around. This will give me a long distance commuter with an auto pilot system similar to Tesla v7 according to reports from reviewers like Alex Roy of theDrive.
Just keep in mind the features out of the box... (with no comma ai)

Just keep in mind the features out of the box... (with no comma ai)
Yes, and if you read the reviews, the out of the box features do not work very well, and the comma.ai system was preferred even over Tesla when it was in v7. Obviously Tesla v8 is an improvement and the NEO will never be able to compete with the added sensors. NEO is essentially just a DIY CommaOne.

Now Cancelled Comma One Would Have Embarrassed The Car Industry

The War For Autonomous Driving: 2017 Mercedes-Benz E-Class VS. 2017 Tesla Model S

The War For Autonomous Driving, Part III: US vs Germany vs Japan

the comma.ai system was preferred even over Tesla
This is a bold statement. I'd argue that it's not possible for comma one or comma NEO to be even close to Tesla Autopilot due to the lack of real world data and validation. Simply because he can't validate it for the government, he released it to the public. The majority of his tests are clear sunny days in a single geographic location.

Take a look at this video:

Tell me that's better than Tesla AP1 suite... he has to take over and adjust several times in his demo.

If you're dead set on doing this instead of saving a little while longer for a Model 3 for the safety of you and your family please make sure you never trust that system over your own judgement.

His own cruising car for highways has LIDAR on top (perhaps because he doesn't trust his processing of camera inputs??).