Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone using Griddy for electricity?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Griddy Energy, any update on net metering. My bill on Tuesday was $143 for one day. I have two options, switch electric providers or install solar to offset the usage during the day.

I'm not sure that Griddy is going to survive this summer.... I would recommend getting solar AND switching...

It sucks. I think they had a good concept but they should have actively courted customers with solar PV and incentivized more people to get solar. There was still plenty of sun during most of the time that ERCOT was struggling. Solar in Griddys portfolio could have really helped mitigate the pain.

This is bananas. Plenty of posts like this...

Screen Shot 2019-08-13 at 10.00.56 PM.png

We have 2 Model 3's and drive around 300 per day combined and a 2 story house around 4k sq ft. I switched to Griddy in mid March to take advantage of time of use rates being super low during the night when we charge both cars (usually around 1.5 cent or less).

Before August heat wave, I was averaging less than 4 cent per kWH without any change in behavior. Even with August/Sept price spikes (mostly due to high heat combined with low levels of wind generation), I'm still averaging only 5 cents per kWH and I expect this average to continue to go down until next summer's heat wave. NOTE: I'm just referencing the rate minus the TDSP charges (Oncor in my area) because you get these charges no matter which energy rep you pick.

Here is a table showing my usage amount and total bill amount that I paid (includes energy cost, Griddy's membership rate, credit card surcharges and TDSP charges) and the last column is really the rate I pay by choosing Griddy over someone else and this is what I use to compare to other plans available.
Griddy Table.png

Let me know if you have any more questions about it. It is definitely a different way to go than the normal energy reps.